It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montreal student protests over rising tution prices -March 7th 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So far there have been 7 arrests, students had put up barriers, and the police have teken them down,
I just want to get this up and I will add more as I dfind out more.

I haven't found video's, but there is a large amount of protest that have been going on in Montreal within the last year, the last one was last month.

As I understand it it is over the plan by the government to raise tuition prices over the next 5 years.

Not much on the internet about it yet.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
okay little tid bits are coming out.

The protest was happening in front of the Loto-Quebec building.
The students were trying to get in, and get into the govenment buildingss part of the protest.

Montreal student protest, Riot police called in

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Apparently amny of the protestors that are there are non-violent, and the ones who were creating the problem were a group that broke off from the main group.

There is a large group of the protestors marching towards Jaque Cartier Bridge completly peacefully.

There has been alot of protests the most recent one that was on the news was feb 23.

It seems the only way that it gets any coverage is if there is violence.
Peaceful protestors don't get much coverage.

Apparently there is 122,000 students who have signed petition or been asscciated with these protests in one way or another.

***I should note, this is in no way connected to the OCCUPY movement. ***

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
OKay I figured I would add some more information.

This has some really good information on the actual numbers

CTV-news on a past protest on the same subject

So as I can see the tuition fee will go from 2,415 to 3,793 over the next five years, split into 5 seperate increases of 325.

I understand the reasoning for the increase, but also have to question the timing, because of the economic condition.

It doesn't seem that bad, but when you factor in the other costs of schooling, books, rent, food ect. I can understand how it is alot for students.

** Also I should add, there is no video or evidence of the students trying to break into the building, that was just something the reporters said, the actual protestors said they were just symbolically blocking the entrance and the police began to use tear gas when they would not move out of the way.

new topics

top topics

join