It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

port workers of the world unite or face part time call to work type job security

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
when one port authority attacks its workers with this tactic, we must take it very seriously,
what has happened will effect all port workers world wide.

how? if this model for treating workers with contempt is allowed in one port,
it will be attempted at others world wide.

the port owners want the workers to be at home on call, and come to work when and if rung with work,
imagine this, you have a family, you work hard and your business owners says to you,
stay at home and we will call you when we have a large order come in.

why does this effect everyone?
if the port workers are forced to stay at home and wait for a phone call they cannot go shopping for food,
they cannot take their kids out, and they MUST have child care available at all hours in case they get a call to JUMP and go to work.

this means no job or wage security for the workers, and while waiting for "the call" they must still have child care available, they must be ready at a moments notice to JUMP and race into work for short periods and then go home again.

remember that if this is ALLOWED in nz this will be used to bust workers rights world wide as world wide shipping is mostly consolidated into the hands of ever fewer oweners who by the nature of shipping ARE a world wide force against workers rights.

imagine if you were asked to stay at home untill we call you?

port workers of the world MUST stand together against this form of attack, as if this is allowed to pass,
the mulitnationals will EXPORT the idea to other places sighting NZ as the reason they cant compete.

300 plus auckland port workers have just been dissmissed for not accepting these new conditions,

they threaten to use the auckland port as an example to spread this to other ports,
sighting how this competitive model is more cost efficient without noting how this effects families and workers.

PORT WORKERS OF THE WORLD PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

if this is allowed to pass your port WILL be next using NZ to justify thier actions.

xploder

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Is this a Union thing?

Not sure about the policies in NZ but did you by chance see what the Unionized workers did to the port in Washington about 6 months ago?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Yes, I did see what Unionized workers in Washington did.

They united with Occupy and won a contract despite every law in the book stacked against them. Lesson learned stand up to our overlords and they blink.

This is what really scares the crap out the oligarchy and I love it.

Earlier this month longshore workers in Washington state reached a contract with a boss that has spent the past year fighting to keep their union out. That company, the multinational EGT, sought to run its new grain terminal in the town of Longview, as the only facility on the West Coast without the famously militant International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU). A victory by EGT would have emboldened employers up and down the coast to seek to free themselves of ILWU influence. And if the union — with the help of the Occupy movement — had not defied the law, EGT would have succeeded.

Source:www.salon.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Yes well if you asked the common working class people like my self. Do I feel sorry for the Unionized thugs?

Short answer, is no, not at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by jlv70

Yes well if you asked the common working class people like my self. Do I feel sorry for the Unionized thugs?

i think you may miss the point,
this is NOT just about UNIOINS,
this is about families and job security,

imagine this, your boss decides there is no work today and sends you home,
for three days there is no work for you,
you get called in only to find there was work but some part time guy was given it and the only reason they bothered to call you up is because they had EXTRA work,

in the meantime YOU must be oncall and ready 24/7

this effects the average worker as well,
if this is allowed to happen all sorts of jobs and occupations could be effected,

imagine working 40 hours a week every week for ten years,
then this happens and you get one day a week, at night on short notice,

how do you provide for your family?

this is dangerous to other people in other jobs too,
and the catch phrase will be,

WE HAVE TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH AUCKLANDS PORT

you obviously hate unions, fine, do you hate families?
because this is unfair on anybody.

the port PRETENDED to negotiate while the whole time they advertised for PART TIME WORKERS
they had no intention of negotiating,

they wanted to dismiss thier workers and replace them with desperate people who would work under ANY condition.

this is unfair on any person or any family

xploder

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Go away with your union BS, there's millions of unemployed and you selfish fools refuse to work. You should be sacked instantly.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

off topic
i find your avatar to be highly offensive,
would there be any way of convincing you to change it to something a little less offensive?
look i will ask you to consider my request on the grounds it is personally offensive
what do you say
i say please consider another pic
please

xploder

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Short answer, you think it's okay for companies to exploit their workers because you have eaten up the propaganda the corporate pigs use the right media to nourish you with. Before you knee-jerk...I fully realize Big Labor is equally guilty on the left. That's why we need stop making it okay for money to speak.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

reply to post by jlv70

I still remember reading about John Rockefeller employing men with machine guns to deal with striking miners, thehoneycomb. I am not saying for one moment that unions are always right, because I've been unemployed for most of my life, and what little work I have had, has been independent. Port workers are also not the type of people that I would generally want to associate with either, to be brutally honest. I have spent time living around people who did manual labour before, and it was very dangerous. They can be deeply unintelligent, prone to the abuse of particularly dangerous controlled substances, racist, and violent.

But abuses do happen, on both sides. Yes, sometimes unions are spoiled, thuggish, and manipulative, and will strike or attempt action for more money at a time when they know that other people will suffer for it. At the same time, I do not believe that things like having workers permanently on call is a good thing, either. People are supposed to have lives, and work should ideally only be one part of said life. Being permanently on call would change that.
edit on 7-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Great reply jlv70 and you are absolutely correct except for the OWS involvement. The ILWU officially divorced itself from the occupy movement simply because they are too radical and were about to employ illegal tactics that would have hindered any progress on the union's behalf. That type of action could very well have ruined any deal that the union did get. I am gratefull that we will never truely know as my guess was that this thing could have gotten very ugly.

The fact is that EGT had a contract with the port of Longview, as part of their permit to build the grain terminal, to hire local Union labor and EGT broke this agreement. The ILWU has been picketing them ever since up to the point where Washington governor Christine Gregoire stepped in. Personally I give credit to governor Gregoire for this resolve not OWS.

Washington governor brokered end to dispute on the docks

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

off topic
would there be any way of convincing you to change it to something a little less offensive?
look i will ask you to consider my request on the grounds it is personally offensive
what do you say
please

xploder

I find your union propaganda and membership to be highly offensive. I find your union mates refusing to do their jobs even though they are obtusely overpaid and underworked highly offensive. I find your open communism highly offensive.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Thats the obvious problem when it comes to unions. As an employers stand point, they can not afford to pay their employees to sit around and do nothing, nor should they be expected to. Only problem is that Union workers can not be fired, which makes no sense at all. So from an employers stand point that is exactly what I would do. You have to these days or you will be forced to go bankrupt and out of business. There are many professions where there employees are on call, union or not.

As for the avatar thing, I will consider changing it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork
Go away with your union BS, there's millions of unemployed and you selfish fools refuse to work. You should be sacked instantly.

i am not in a union and i am unemployed
BUT THAT IS THE POINT
people are desperate, and will work for much less than what will feed a family,

SO DO WE GIVE ALL THE JOBS TO SINGLE NON FAMILY WORKERS?

this is a way of INCREASING PROFITS,

so in your opinion people with families shouldn't work,
only single people should have jobs?

OK so lets EXTEND THAT THINKING TO DOCTORS
doctors with families are too expensive so we will only hire single doctors who can JUMP when we ASK them too, who can work 5 hours one week and 40 the next

see how it works?
if one group of workers is allowed to be treated like this,
it will be a model to remove ALL workers rights,

they attack the port workers because there is not a much public sympathy,

BUT MARK MY WORDS THIS WILL BE USED EVERYWHERE AND ON OTHER professions
they are relying on people to go
BLOODY PORT UNIONS

when this will effect everyone in time

xploder

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

As for the avatar thing, I will consider changing it.

I wouldn't, unless a moderator or admin says that they have a problem with it. Xploder might want to remember that supposedly, the entire point of Occupy is meant to be freedom; which should certainly include the freedom to both dislike them, and admit it openly.

If supporters of Occupy try and tell you to cease and desist when you accuse them of authoritarianism, then ultimately all they are doing is proving your point.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Actually it is you who is wrong, the Big Bosses of ILWU were not working on behalf of their employees..they were doing nothing to straighten out the mess with EGT. The big bosses were against Occupy, not the workers. Kind of makes you wonder if the Bosses were taking kickbacks.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hi XPLodER,
I understand your concern but is there any more information you can bring to this thread. I empethize with my dock working brothers world wide as I am pro-labor and I would like to learn more about what is going on here.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Agreed, but I have found that many of the occupy sympathisers do not consider when I have a valid point based on my avatar. I do not feel that I should remove it based on that fact alone, but if people judge me based on my avatar it takes away from honest debate and discussion.

In any case I never agreed to remove it. I said I would consider it.
edit on 7-3-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

off topic
what do you say
please

xploder

I find your union propaganda and membership to be highly offensive. I find your union mates refusing to do their jobs even though they are obtusely overpaid and underworked highly offensive. I find your open communism highly offensive.

TO BE CLEAR
i am not now nor have ever been in a union,
i think you will find that they PICKED the port union to elicit a response EXACTLY LIKE YOURS,
but mark my words, this is not JUST about the ports, or the unions, it is about workers rights.

i am not a communist i am a KIWI NZ is a democracy,
what the port authority is doing is plutocratic,

i think a worker should be able to provide for their family with some job and wage security,
in NEW ZEALAND that is standard thing,
ARE YOU CALLING MY COUNTRY COMMUNIST?
we are capitalist here MATE

xploder

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Personally I could care less about your avatar, it's silliness based lies and propaganda. Your lack of debate from SUPPORTERS probably has more to do with the fact that you have yet to make a valid point.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

off topic
what do you say
please

xploder

TO BE CLEAR
i am not now nor have ever been in a union,
i think you will find that they PICKED the port union to elicit a response EXACTLY LIKE YOURS,
but mark my words, this is not JUST about the ports, or the unions, it is about workers rights.

i am not a communist i am a KIWI NZ is a democracy,
what the port authority is doing is plutocratic,

i think a worker should be able to provide for their family with some job and wage security,
in NEW ZEALAND that is standard thing,
ARE YOU CALLING MY COUNTRY COMMUNIST?
we are capitalist here MATE

xploder

You talk about "Workers rights", the only "right" you should have is: do your job or you get fired.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join