It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whe the heck keeps calling me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
For the past couple of months, I've been receiving calls from a certain number at least 3 times a day. When I answer, there is silence, then a strange tone, and occasionally a recorded "goodbye" in a woman's voice.

The phone tells me there is no number available, but calls also display on my television which tells me the number calling is +390084247

I've tried googling this number to no avail. I'm not trying to claim this is some nefarious conspiracy, I'm only trying to satisfy my curiosity. Who the heck is this that keeps calling? WHy do they call and no say anything other than that odd tone? And why do they feel the need to call at least 3 times a day? I can't even really call them back because there aren't enough numbers since the first "number" is a plus sign.

Just hoping the collective knowledge of ATS might shed some light on this. I'd like to be able to find who's responsible and give them a piece of my mind!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Sounds like an auto dialer from a bill collector or something like that. They use a computer to dial dozens or hundreds of numbers. But only the first person to pick up will actually get anyone there. The rest when they answer get almost exactly what you've described. Or something similar.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
wow, I don't know the number or why it shows up with a plus sign as the first number, but hope you find out. Have you spoken to the company you have your phone service with? I have had weird numbers in the past that my phone system couldn't block because it didn't recognize them as real phone #'s

good luck,

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
well the +39 is an international calling code for Italy and/or the Vatican!

en.wikipedia.org...

Do you owe the Pope?? I understand the Vatican Collection Agencies are tough! You might want to put a $20 in the collection plate next time, just in case.

The reality is that many companies now outsource things like this to call centers around the world. Most likely it is a sales pitch or collection from one of these call centers.
edit on 7-3-2012 by redbarron626 because: after further research...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

That's all I need, prank calls from the pope!

Originally posted by webpirate
Sounds like an auto dialer from a bill collector or something like that. They use a computer to dial dozens or hundreds of numbers. But only the first person to pick up will actually get anyone there. The rest when they answer get almost exactly what you've described. Or something similar.

I don't get what you mean by the first person to pick up. Seems like a waste to call someone and not deliver a pitch.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Theres a few other people with the same problem it seems

here (note theres some bad language in the posts on that one)
here

Edit to add

A number very similar to it has also been used to try and scam people link
edit on 7-3-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

If it doesn't feel right, it most probably isn't.

I suggest you don't answer next time.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
We get dodgy calls like that quite often (to the ridiculous amount of two calls every hour for four hours every weekday two weeks ago), but we can never see the number. It just says "international."

I tend not to answer. If they can't leave a message then they don't have anything urgent to say and/or they are auto dialling. This only started after I ordered something from China and they wouldn't send it without a phone number, which DHL then called me on to charge me a customs fee. Oh yay. Either the seller or DHL have passed my number on to someone. Won't be making THAT mistake again.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting~

new topics

top topics

join