It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 in family dead, 4th sickened from respiratory illness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think this is worth following.

LUSBY, Md. — Health officials in Calvert County and Maryland say three members of a family have died from respiratory illnesses. A fourth relative was sickened and remains hospitalized.

Officials say an 81-year-old woman became sick at home around Feb. 23. Authorities say her son and two daughters cared for her at home, and five days later developed similar upper respiratory symptoms.

The elderly woman, her 58-year-old son and 56-year-old daughter died. The fourth family member, who was not identified, is still hospitalized.

There is anectdotal stories of the funeral director involved also dying, and now another story of a healthcare worker also sick or dead.

I must stress that the latter two are just comments from unconfirmed sources.

They are saying that the nature of the family's deaths is a combination of Influenza A and some sort of staph infection. It does seem strange though that all 4 members of the family would be infected so exactly.

Testing is being conducted by the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Laboratories Administration. Two of the fatal cases had influenza, preliminary testing has shown, and these cases may have been complicated by bacterial co-infections, which is a complication of influenza infection, the state health department said Tuesday.

They are also reporting that no similar "Clusters" have been reported. To me that reads, it is still a possibility that individuals may be infected, just not whole families.

No other similar clusters have been reported, according to DHMH.

www.baltimoresun.com...

Also conflicting reports on the number of deaths.
afludiary.blogspot.com...

Hazmat suits donned at home of victims.
wusa9.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

There is a nasty respiratory illness going around my office and kid's school at the moment. My 4 year old has been teetering on the brink of pneumonia for 2 weeks now. It gets a little better and then comes back. One of my employees has been out for a week with a virus that turned into pneumonia, and 2 of my other co-workers have had similar battles.

So far, nobody is dying, but this respiratory thing going around is fierce and hard to kick. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Greetings:

Good catch.

The USGOV/CDC will immediately come out with "isolated case" and nothing to see here.

Move along.

We'll look into "similar" isolated cases and get back to you.

You may be on to something here... trolls and disinfo agents, let's hear from your side.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yes, I agree, it's been a bad season for lung infection type ilnesses. I was sick my self for almost a month this past Dec/Jan, but no pneumonia.

www.thebaynet.com...

The illnesses in these family members began with an 81-year-old Lusby woman who developed respiratory symptoms at her home beginning on or about February 23, 2012. She was cared for at home by three of her children, a son and two daughters. The caregivers developed similar respiratory symptoms on or about February 28, 2012. The mother died at home on March 1, 2012. Following her death the three children were hospitalized. Subsequently the 58-year-old son and a 56-year-old daughter died

Here is another official report from the Calvert County Health Dept.

It stands out to me that the adult children were hospitalized and yet still died. Usually infections if caught in time in relatively healthy people can be corrected or at least controlled, and yet these two died quickly in hospital.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Interesting that the CCHD original report form March 5, reports 5 sick, in which 4 have died. Seems strange that they would get that number wrong, it's not like these are huge numbers.

www.thebaynet.com...

Calvert County Health Department (CCHD) is aware of a cluster of severe respiratory illnesses in five (Lusby area), including four members of a Calvert County family, residing approximately a mile south of the power plant. All five were hospitalized over the last two weeks. Four of the five have died of their illnesses

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's in Arizona too, I've had a respiratory thing for a few weeks and my mother was diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday.

It's very nasty and hard to kick!

Phoenix had a dust storm yesterday which just makes things worse.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thorfourwinds
The USGOV/CDC will immediately come out with "isolated case" and nothing to see here.

Move along.

We'll look into "similar" isolated cases and get back to you.

You may be on to something here... trolls and disinfo agents, let's hear from your side.

Yet if they said something was going around that was quite bad, you (your type anyhow, not you specifically) would then demand there was nothing and the gub-ment was just trying to declare martial law or some such.

Perhaps the gov would be wise to let a few dozen deaths go before even trying to contain so they don't have to listen to conspiracy theorists call bull

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Flu season is late this year.

I have a theory though that is kind of related...

One of the things I have noticed over my life in the military was that smokers rarely got sick while deployed, whereas non-smokers almost always got sick.

Maybe the virus gets stuck in the tar in the lungs ( I know...
) ) which allows the body time to build up a immunization to it.

But then again...there is always that cancer thing, or bronchitis, or CPOD, etc, etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?

Just a theory.
edit on 7-3-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Pretty weird, did anyone get any more information on the quarantine of the SARS outbreak in China just recently? Wonder if that could be it.

Chinese Military Hospital in Lockdown Over Suspected SARS Cases

By Ming Chen
Epoch Times Staff

www.theepochtimes.com...

A Hong Kong newspaper has reported that several hundred soldiers with high fevers and other SARS-like symptoms are allegedly being kept in isolation wards at a military hospital in Boading City in northeastern China’s Hebei Province. Local authorities have denied a SARS outbreak, but Chinese netizens are worried that, just as with the 2003 outbreak of SARS, the authorities are covering up a potential epidemic.

Reporters from Hong Kong’s Apple Daily went to the PLA 252 Hospital in Baoding on Feb. 24, where 300 soldiers are allegedly being isolated, with two said to have died. Three nearby hospitals were said to also have patients who exhibit SARS-like symptoms.

I know all three of us got sick last week. But, I think it was just the flu. Child now has Bronchitis, hope that's not contagious. I can't see how she got it though. [Maybe from all those hospital visits and hanging around all the sick people], only thing I can think of.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm in Minnesota i live is a small community and it seems like everyone has the flu right now and its a weird one the systems are sore throat ,headache,earache, nasty cold with a horrible cough and tummy problems im fighting it right now with antibiotics and most have it a week or more then it goes away and comes back i cant rember having anything this nasty.. I ended up doing a evisit so i didn't have to go into the Dr he just sent the script to the pharmacy i was to sick to get out of bed the antibiotics are helping but i still have it and its been 2 weeks i could see how someone could die from this its that bad..

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting paragraph at the bottom of the Southern Maryland News story.

Southern Maryland News Net contacted the Calvert County Health Department by phone for clarification and was told that the Health Department has been inundated with inquiries about the unknown, but serious disease. The spokesperson would only confirm the information in the press release and stated that the situation is under active investigation at this time. Dr. David L. Rogers, MD, MPH was unavailable for comment at the time of the call.

smnewsnet.com...-4439

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This outbreak is in an interesting area....isn't Calvert County part of the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area?

Whenever I read about things like this I cannot help but think that these germs are cooked up in a government lab, because this typically doesn't happen on its own. Conveniently, Ft. Detrick, Maryland, is home to the U.S. Government's biological weapons research and testing facility: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Whenever I read about things like this I cannot help but think that these germs are cooked up in a government lab, because this typically doesn't happen on its own. Conveniently, Ft. Detrick, Maryland, is home to the U.S. Government's biological weapons research and testing facility: en.wikipedia.org...

I was thinking along those lines. Well government involvement anyway.

I got sick around the end of January or begining of February.

When did the police use all of that pepper spray and tear gas against the OWS protesters?

What did they really use? If people are sick they won't be as anxious to protest.
edit on 7-3-2012 by stewiegriffin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Black mold? the most common of all house molds, old pipes or any where water can get in the wood the dry wall or old plaster, all it takes is a spore to get in gets in your lungs and wham you 6 feet under starts with a cough.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

You have the flu?

Why the antibiotics?

I thought doctors stopped throwing antibiotics away on viruses years ago. The whole "super bug" fears and all.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
www.weather.com...

As if record warm temperatures and an extraordinary lack of snow isn't enough to make this winter seem strange, throw a bizarre flu season into the mix!

A few weeks ago we told you we were experiencing the slowest start to flu season in three decades, according to government officials. Now, as spring allergy and severe weather season begin, we're seeing widespread flu outbreaks from coast to coast! Text

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
After reading the OP, I immediately wondered if the adult children caught flu from the elderly lady and were hospitalized, where they got a staph infection. I vaguely remember reading about staph infections that were cropping up in hospitals and were resistant to meds.
Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Very intresting. I will keep my eyes peeled for any cases in the UK also. Seems to me if people start getting sick in custers all over the country at the same time that would suggest a systematic release.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I ran across this incident while investigating RSOE being down(still is) and one of the reports was bringing up the power plant nearby these Maryland victims. Have any other reports from neighbors or locals come in since the incident?
Today's RSOE seems strange indeed...

Pneumonia is also a possibility, as is Legionnaires’ disease. “Legionnaires’ could cluster, and that would implicate perhaps something about this home environment,” Schaffner added. “Bacteria like moisture, so there would need to be an investigation of the heating and air conditioning systems.” There could also be other environmental causes, such as a toxin, or even carbon monoxide poisoning. Dr. Gio Baracco, associate professor of infectious diseases at the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine, speculated, based on the very limited amount of information available, that the cause is non-infectious and could be something envirnonmental. “The reason is that for most infections, transmission rate is not 100 percent and the fatality rate is not 100 percent,” he said. If the woman’s hospitalized daughter dies, the case fatality rate will be 100 percent, he explained. “The fact that they’re in the same household and they’re not seeing the same thing going on in the community is unusual,” he added. An earlier press release from the health department said the woman’s home is about a mile away from a power plant, but there has been no link between their proximity to the plant and the illness cluster. The health department recommends that people regularly wash their hands and limit contact with anyone who is sick. They also urge anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms to seek medical attention.

hisz.rsoe.hu...
edit on 7-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think Big Pharma likes to purposely make people sick just so those people will have to go by their medications to get better again. This makes me think of turning on the tap and instead of water you get cash.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join