It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elusive Higgs Boson ("God Particle") May Nearly Be Cornered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

New measurements announced March 7 by scientists from the CDF and DZero collaborations at the U.S. Department of Energy's Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory indicate that the elusive Higgs boson may nearly be cornered. After analyzing the full data set from the Tevatron accelerator, which completed its last run in September 2011, the two independent experiments see hints of a Higgs boson.

The 4-mile in circumference Tevatron accelerator at Fermilab uses superconducting magnets chilled to minus 450 degrees Fahrenheit, as cold as outer space, to move particles at nearly the speed of light. (Credit: Image courtesy of DOE/Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory)

Read the whole paper here

Observed and expected exclusion limits for a Standard Model Higgs boson at the 95-percent confidence level for the combined CDF and DZero analyses. The limits are expressed as multiples of the SM prediction for test masses chosen every 5 GeV/c2 in the range of 100 to 200 GeV/c2. The points are joined by straight lines for better readability. The yellow and green bands indicate the 68- and 95-percent probability regions, in the absence of a signal.The difference between the observed and expected limits around 124 GeV could be explained by the presense of a Higgs boson whose mass would lie between 115 to 135 GeV. The CDF and DZero data exclude a Higgs boson between 147 and 179 GeV/c2 at the 95-percent confidence level.

Press release

Original source: Interactions.org

It is expected that the LHC will provide sufficient data to either exclude or confirm the existence of the Standard Model Higgs boson by the end of 2012.

But what's the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs boson is a hypothetical elementary particle predicted by the Standard Model (SM) of particle physics. The Higgs field is a quantum field with a non-zero value that fills all of space, and explains why fundamental particles such as quarks and electrons have mass. The Higgs boson is an excitation of the Higgs field above its ground state.
The Higgs boson is the key piece of the Standard Model, an ambitious suite of equations that has ruled the universe of high-energy physics for the last few decades, explaining how three of the four fundamental forces of nature work. But the boson itself has never been observed. The theory describes how it should work and behave but does not predict one of its key attributes, namely its mass.

Read the whole explanations here

One possible signature of a Higgs boson from a simulated proton-proton collision. It decays almost immediately into two jets of hadrons and two electrons, visible as lines.
edit on 7-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
LOL.
"May nearly be cornered."
They have found and lost it so many times.
I won't hold my breath.
edit on 7-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
LOL.
"May nearly be corenered."
They have found and lost it so many times.
I won't hold my breath.

Yes, but this time, they run out statistical fluctuations:

"Physicists claim evidence of a new particle only if the probability that the data could be due to a statistical fluctuation is less than 1 in 740, or three sigmas. A discovery is claimed only if that probability is less than 1 in 3.5 million, or five sigmas."
"...the new result has a probability of being due to a statistical fluctuation at level of significance known among scientists as 2.2 sigma."

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is why I love Science.

And although I don't understand everything about the strong interaction, this is right up my alley.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think I already beat Fermilab to the punch, or that is to the Godike particle, or Higgs boson.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My research shows such particles that I discovered, and these particles exist everywhere and have a charge.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Or perhaps their 'Higgs hints' may have detected Dark Matter?

"Gamma rays hint at dark matter"
physicsworld.com...

John Wefel, an astrophysicist at Louisiana State University in the US, points out another tantalizing possibility: that the peak at about 125 GeV seen in data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN last year, and which is reckoned to be a signature of the Higgs boson, may in fact be related to the line identified by Weniger. "Do we have a halo of Higgs bosons around the galactic centre, or is the LHC observing some new particle likely to be the dark matter particle, and not the Higgs at all?" he asks, playfully.

new topics

top topics

join