It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get ANYTHING through TSA nude body scanners: Blogger exposes loophole in $1billion fleet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

How to get ANYTHING through TSA nude body scanners: Blogger exposes loophole in $1billion fleet

www.dailymail.co.uk

Jonathan Corbett claims he could easily smuggle explosives onto a plane

Strip-search scanners banned in Europe over cancer fears

Controversial nude body scanners used at U.S. airports have come under fire again - after a blogger claimed he could easily smuggle explosives through them onto a plane.
Engineer Jonathan Corbett has published a video where he shows how he took a small metal case through two of the TSA's $1billion fleet in a special side pocket stitched into his shirt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

This is because, he suggests, the scanners blend metallic areas into the dark background - so if an object is not directly placed on the body, it will not show up on the scan.
The metallic box, he claims, would have set off an alarm had he passed through the old detecting system.
His revelation comes just weeks after Europe banned the 'airport strip-searches' over fears the X-ray technology could cause cancer.
MailOnline has decided not to publish the video because it details exactly how to circumvent the safety procedure - but it is freely available to watch online.
Corbett, standing in his living room as he speaks to the camera in the video for his 'TSA Out of Our Pants' blog, acknowledges the technique could be used by terrorists.

Looks like thats the end of that billion dollar experiment then!

Usual: In this TSA scan the metal items, located on the traveller's body, can clearly be seen as the body appears against a black background

Contrast: In this image, the metallic object is not directly placed on the body and so does not show up on the scan as it blends into the background

I suspect this will be ignored mainly, but it just proves that the technology is not robust and potentially damaging for security as it allows customs people to rely on a failing tech.

Nightmares abound now this is in the public domain!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Corbett, who is suing the TSA for rolling out the scanners, explained how the loophole worked.
He said: 'Here are several images produced by TSA nude body scanners. You'll see that the search victim is drawn with light colours and placed on a black background in both images.
'In these samples, the individuals are concealing metallic objects that you can see as a black shape on their light figure. Again that’s light figure, black background, and black threat items.
'Yes that’s right, if you have a metallic object on your side, it will be the same colour as the background and therefore completely invisible to both visual and automated inspection.
'It can’t possibly be that easy to beat the TSA’s billion dollar fleet of nude body scanners, right? The TSA can’t be that stupid, can they? Unfortunately, they can, and they are.'
He said he put his theory to the test by buying a sewing kit to sew a pocket directly onto the side of his shirt. He then took a metallic case and walked through a backscatter X-ray at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport - all of which he recorded on film.
He said: 'While I’m not about to win any videography awards for my hidden camera footage, you can watch as I walk through the security line with the metal object in my new side pocket.
'My camera gets placed on the conveyor belt and goes through its own x-ray, and when it comes out, I’m through, and the object never left my pocket.
'Maybe a fluke? OK, let’s try again at Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport through one of the TSA’s newest machines: a millimetre wave scanner with automated threat detection built-in.
'With the metallic object in my side pocket, I enter the security line, my device goes through its own x-ray, I pass through, and exit with the object without any complaints from the TSA.'

edit on 7-3-2012 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Any idea how hard it is to smuggle explosive through customs that ARE NOT strapped directly onto you body?

.....woops.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

TSA reminds me of Total Recall.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is to be expected, those scanners are nothing to do with security and a lot to do with perversion and keeping a certain ex head of homeland security in a job, cant remember his name, but after commissioning the systems and leaving office his company actively promotes and sells the machines. Go abd have a look at the studies that have been done into millimetre wave tech, not necassarily cancer causing but does have the potential to destroy DNA. I will never let any of my family go through them

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here is a link to the infowars article with the video

Video

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Special Forces ops, as part of their training, have to smuggle weapons onto international flights. As a test. They ALWAYS pass the test.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is easy to fix, WITHOUT removing the TSA.

Agent: Alright sir, please turn to your left.

Agent: Thank you, now please face to your right.

Agent: Thank you, now please bend over...

Just sayin' the TSA does not have to be removed. All we have to do is spin around and they can see all of our hidden pockets, and when they are done? That's right, natures pocket!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think this proves that someone has very low quality file images of what those machine are capable of. Alex Jones had a series of photos way back when these had just started arriving and I'll never forget actually being able to see the outline of bones under the skin in one arm and the vague hint of them in other areas. The power of these is far beyond those fuzzy garbage images.

If he DID get past them and they didn't know who he was or whatever...then he's lucky and an idiot to assume the terrorists MUST have figured this out. These are cells... Independent, fire walled cells. They don't necessarily get refresher training...and even Al Qaeda's magazine for their own members didn't mention exploits on these. So maybe people like this can just keep the specific details to themselves. There are ways of saying things without just passing out Do-It-Yourself guides.

Loose lips sink ships. It was true in World War II and it's true in World War III. These people need to just cork it with this level of detail. I'm sure he'll also be the first to rationalize how he has absolutely no responsibility if some wanna-be loner follows his video ONLY because it was there to follow and gave the guy the new idea.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Loose lips sink ships. It was true in World War II and it's true in World War III. These people need to just cork it with this level of detail. I'm sure he'll also be the first to rationalize how he has absolutely no responsibility if some wanna-be loner follows his video ONLY because it was there to follow and gave the guy the new idea.

Eloquently made the point I tried to

What a crazy thing to give an 'idiots guide to' on the internet!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Na, I see what he was trying to accomplish.

Him, like many others (including myself) wish to see the TSA go away. He thought that this would be a viable way to achieve that goal, unfortunatly as I pointed out above, they just need to add a spin to the scanned.

Of course, the TSA doesn't bother me for I do not fly.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Special Forces ops, as part of their training, have to smuggle weapons onto international flights. As a test. They ALWAYS pass the test.

Is there any truth to this? Are you serious?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Quick! We need another billion $ to fix this new problem.
Who is this guy really working for again?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

lol!

More ID needed, more control of movements! All check in daily to the state and have a chip fitted please.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Maybe its because the TSA is using inferior technology provided by the beltway bandit companies, as previous posters have noted.

The very best full body scanner in the world is called ODIN and is made by a small American company that is not part of the military-industrial-Government complex.

www.vlyf.com...

It generates a medical quality full body scan image using less radiation than you'll get on the flight you are about to take.

Interestingly, its Russian technology.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
perf ! ty J.C.
need more folks like him.
there was nuthin wrong w/ the old metal scanners.
a few dogs and you actually have a tight secure platform - not a cancer causing chertoff machine.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Just proposing a way to defeat any security check considering most of us don't want the plane to blow up or have a nut pull a gun in the air, is in itself stupid and irresponsible. "Oh see how smart I am"? Give it a rest blogger.

Part of one reason ANY security works is not knowing how it works...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Jon Corbett is either a complete douchebag or he is working for Homeland Security. All he's done with this video is potentially put passengers and airlines at an increased risk of terrorism or he's given the TSA a reason to spend even more money on improving or replacing these machines (or both). Nice goin' Jon

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Eloquently made the point I tried to

What a crazy thing to give an 'idiots guide to' on the internet!

Great catch on this and I'd given you a flag on the thread from the start, in large part for not posting the actual video. I noticed some media has refused to as well. It is getting to be a crazy world to be sure...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
IF he was truley concernced for passenger's safety, he would of quietly taken the information to the TSA.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join