It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulsars and Alien Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
For the past few minutes, I've tried working the search function, trying different keyword combinations, but nothing came up, which really suprised me. I know this is a subject which does warrent some attention... but irregardless, if this is a repeat post, then many pardens...

Pulsars. For years scientists have studied these celestrial objects, and have come to the understanding that they are remenants of white dwarfs and such, rapidly spinning in the cosmos, emitting a radio frequency much like a lighthouse sending out, well, light. There is nothing unusual about pulsars, everything fits into the norm as far as our understanding of space.

Pulsars are emitting radio transmissions akin to a lighthouse. These transmission have more in common with beacons then with rotating stars. The pulse is sometimes regular, sometimes random. There can be hours of no noise, and then the pattern emerges again. These are deliberate and pre-determined signals.

I would write more, but I feel that I could not do any justice to the pulsars, so I'll just leave you with this link...

PULSARS

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
It would be safe to say that something spinning as fast as a pulsar is going to have chaotic oscillation and rotation periods. I don't really buy the interstellar beacon argument. You could really say that about any star.

A lighthouse has a fixed oscillation period which makes it easy to lock on to. You could probably use the pulsars as a guidance mechanism given the strength of radio emission, but I really don't understand where Dr. Paul LaViolette got the idea that they were manufactured signals. A deterministic signal is much better for navigation, not something that's random and unpredictable.

new topics

join