It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roadside bomb pops Abrams

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
www.iha.com.tr...

Definitely an M1.

Looks like it was a recovered bomb that was used.

Pretty harsh.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
God thats terrible my heart goes out to the poor crew and the the familys that might have seen that on the news.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by dwh0]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If tank was buttoned up the crew could have survived. 155mm artillery shells have landed on Abrams during training and didn't pierce the armor or injure crew. Armor piercing is different from sheer concussive blast and shrapnel.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
That was an M1A2 Bradley.

It was too short, and the profile was too high for an Abrams. Plus notice the distinct flat back end where the troop hatch and the ramp are.

I know the bradley, and I'm pretty sure everyone was killed. Of course the driver's side is on the left side, and he's not well protected from that flank.

These guys were praying or something during the attack and I think one guy was blessing the bomb when they were done making it. I'd like to see the translation of the voices on the video.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sorry Dude but there's no such thing as an M1A2 Bradley.

As far as it being a Bradley, check out the size of the turret and the cannon.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Right, sorry. That's M2A3 Bradley.

Good lookin' out, marine.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Granted it does look to have a high profile, and tread guards on front are missing, but the size of the turret and barrel are really large. Hard to ID these things from the video, original video and format probably changed and dimensions distorted.

Looks like a dud MK-82 500-lb dumb bomb that they used, if the footage is true.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm really thinking it was a Brad. Watch the video again and compare what you see with these two images. I'm going to watch again and try to listen more closely to the sound it made. The two make very distinct sounds.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

< br />
If it's not a Brad, it's something foreign that I don't recall. After listening to it, it could sound like a Bradley, but it really sounds like a lawnmower or a motorcycle. But I have horrible speakers, and it's obviously a bad recording.

It's stubby like a bradley. If it were an Abrams, you would be able to see the main gun protruding over the front of the hull, and a Bradley has 3 feet of profile on the Abrams. More than that, I don't think there are any woodland pattern Abrams in Iraq. I think they're all desert tan.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
...and tread guards on front are missing...

Yeah, that's strange. In training, sometimes we'd leave the front and back skirts in the motor pool because you need to be able to get to the grease fitting for the track tensioners to adjust for road or for terrain. That's the only reason for not having those skirts on that I can think of. I would think it was a bad Idea in combat cause an RPG could tear off a couple of roadwheels and send them flying through the hull into people.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Actually, I think it might have been British. The M1 uses a turbine engine that has a distinct high pitch (almost jet sound) The one in the video sounds like a diesel from what I could hear over their damn ranting.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Ah, I forgot it had audio. What are the guys saying? Too bad I can't read the writing at the end.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I think it may the angle of the camera which makes it look squat, after having a look at pictures of all the possibilites, the M1 is what it looks most like. The gun is too big for an IFV and the turret doesn't look like a Challenger 2.
That being said a 500lb class bomb ezploding directly underneath the tank would kill everyone inside, even if it didn't penetrate the concussion would be fatal.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Posted
by MastanaMahi Guest on 20.09.2004 [18:10 ]

Last evening news from CTV (Canadian private channel) shows an American tank, that carries at least 12 troops inside, going baghdad street, CTV camera was following them, suddenly it hit with some kinds of bomb that instently explode entire tank like a box expolde. You can see parts of tanks flying up in the air and obviosuly 12 soliders inhalited in the air without even finding a piece of their bodies. This horrible show was showing repeatedly in several news buletins. BUT beauty of this live show that NO OTHER news agencies including Al-Jazeera failed to even given news about this clear attack of US. THIS events convience me thet news from Markat-e-ISlam reporters are 100% correct and hundreds of attacks were never broadcast on any news media, Zionist or non Zionist are the same.
------------

I think it is different from the above video.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The US got a TANK with 12 troopers inside? Interesting.. I'd thought you used APC:s for that.. Love when the media mixes terms..

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clownface
The US got a TANK with 12 troopers inside? Interesting.. I'd thought you used APC:s for that.. Love when the media mixes terms..

Yah, anything with tracks seems to be called a tank these days

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Def an Abrams. The video is distorted & squashed laterally, pushing the profile of this vehicle upwards, making it look higher.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Can anyone see if it was radio controlled or cable? Is the troops there using any radio jamming to stop the terrorists using wireless bombs? A plane flying around with a jammer that detonates the bombs while they are assembled would be nice..

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Can anyone see if it was radio controlled or cable?

In the beginning of the video it clearly shows a bomb that could be a MK-82 500 pounder with two wires leading out of the place where the fuse should be.

Unfortunately you cannot tell if the bomb shown in the beginning was the same bomb that detonated at the tank.

Blanketing the area with every possible frequency that could be used to detonate a remote-controlled bomb poses some difficulties that are hard to wrap around.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Indeed I see the cables.. but they don't show what they connect to exept the ends of the bomb..
And you don't need to cover all frequencies (sp) as long as the people using the radio method knows that your jamming them I hardly think they'll be willing to chance it, you might be jamming their MHz today.. Or am I wrong?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Indeed I see the cables.. but they don't show what they connect to exept the ends of the bomb..
And you don't need to cover all frequencies (sp) as long as the people using the radio method knows that your jamming them I hardly think they'll be willing to chance it, you might be jamming their MHz today.. Or am I wrong?

Well that's true, they could be connected to an antennae.

You're right that you can send out certain frequencies to prematurely detonate IEDs. In fact I read about guys doing that after they found out that IEDs were being detonated with remote-controlled car receivers. They'd put transmitters in their hummers, turn them on and tape the buttons down.

I don't know enough about using radio signals to comment further on it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join