It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for proof of herbal health claims

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
How does adding information to he product stop people thinking for themselves?

If they wanted to, they would have already.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Danbones

That is not all, actually our poster and thread starter haven't researched enough of Mr. Sir Peter Gluckman actually his resume is quite impressive.

Oh?? And you know this how??

Big Pharmacy Man Peter Gluckman Exposed By Maria Bradshaw

www.youtube.com...

Ah - the ol' linkage disinfo....

Well it's like this y'see - since Neuren's product is based on Liggins research, so Liggins gets income from it - it is called "intellectual property" - look it up some time.

Neuren's financial statements are available at their home page - I don't see anywhere where they've issues preferential shares issued....oops!!

Oh and NNZ2566 - Neuren's drug recently approved for trials by the FDA?? Synthetic copy of a naturally occuring peptide.......doesn't that jsut conflict y'all??!!

I'm sure that when the PM seeks an advisor on woo, conspiracies and other fantasies y'all will be suitable for the job - but until then I think most of the world is really very happy that the Science advisor actually knows something about science!!

edit on 6-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
A questoin for all yuo folk who think this is bad news.

Why?

Why are you against consumers knowing what the basis is for claims of health benefits?

There's not actually any requirement in this to prove the claims at all - no requirement for expensive testing or anything like that.

So there's actually NO BARRIER TO SELLING any such herbal remedy.

All you folks saying this is to stop such remedies being sold - how will that work?

What is ACTUALLY being called for (as you would know if you bothered to read the article), is that he basis for any claim be made public - whether scientific, traditional, or just your Aunty Mae's sore leg feeling better.

So if the reason for something being considered effective is that it was a traditional treatment in the 18th century, then that's what you have to say.

Why is that a problem for you?

What are you trying to hide?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Oh and NNZ2566 - Neuren's drug recently approved for trials by the FDA?? Synthetic copy of a naturally occuring peptide.......doesn't that jsut conflict y'all??!!

How is a synthetic copy considered an herb?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Sounds identical to Big Pharma claims. In fact, this is suspiciously looking like a move by them to pave the way in making herbal meds illegal so they can peddle their own drugs.

Also, when Big Pharma is brought to court for killing 100`s or more, more times than not they get away with it. But when it`s the herbalists in court, they get slammed with so many fines and compensations that they can no longer operate.

Yup, sounds like the plan is going accordingly.

Peace

Did you miss this post Jude?

''Without clarity as to the standards to be used, there is the potential for New Zealand's reputation to be harmed.''

He said health products regulations in Australia and Canada were highly prescriptive about acceptable levels of evidence.

''I would strongly recommend that regulations in New Zealand are equally robust.''

New Zealand is just looking to protect consumers. I can assure you that herbal remedies are not illegal in Canada. However, if someone wants to make claims about their products, they must go through a strict process to do so. I actually know someone who marketed a European supplement in Canada, and he wanted to say it "cured" something like he did when he marketed it in his home country.

Eventually, he was allowed to say it alleviated the symptoms of a certain condition. The product was well known for such. And it was not a cure, so in the end, it worked out fine.

I don't see the problem with that.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

How is a synthetic copy considered an herb?

Dunno - where did anyone say it was??

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

I'm with you on this one.
These medicines came from somewhere and it wasn't a petrie dish.
Big pharma just concentrated it and pulled out the active ingredient.
I cn say that some things do work, why do you think the honey you buy in the stores is pasteurized?
If you buy honey from a local beekeeper, unpasteurized it is not only an antihistamine that will kill your allergies but, it is also days ahead of wound dressing antibacterials.
Put it directly on a cut and it not only protects it but it cleans and heals it.
No wonder we have to destroy so many foods on the market before human consumption, if allowed to go unpasteurized, big pharma would go out of business.
And if something is useable when burned, you can rest assured that there will be legislation to keep it illegal...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Doublemint

I'm with you on this one.
These medicines came from somewhere and it wasn't a petrie dish.
Big pharma just concentrated it and pulled out the active ingredient.

And I won't argue with it either.

But that's not the point.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
You guys are not seeing the bigger picture here!

The UK NHRA has recently waged a war against sports supplement providers in the UK attacking one of the EU's biggest distributors of supplementation designed to help those who seek to better themselves through fitness.

They have restricted the sale of Milk thistle and Hawthorne berry...classing these as "medicinal" and charging a £30,000+ fee to allow sale.

This action is entirely propagated by the people who actually fund the NHRA...big pharma.

1. The MHRA is not funded by the UK taxpayer but the pharmaceutical industry.

2. The MHRA has previously approved several drugs including Vioxx, Seroxat, Acomplia, and Avandia, as well as PIP breast implants, which have all been heavily criticised.

3. The links between the pharmaceutical industry and the MHRA are extremely close. Their current director of licensing, Ian Hudson, was involved in the development of Seroxat when working at Glaxosmithkline…who interestingly enough now own Maximuscle. Ian Hudson failed to attend parliamentary questioning on Seroxat when asked to explain his involvement in the development and introduction of Seroxat.

This is not just a clamp down on dodgy herbs...this is a restriction of your right to choose alternative health care and supplementation.

blog.predatornutrition.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

secure.avaaz.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
How about you and government mind your own business and I'll decide whats right for me regarding my health care without you trying to force big pharma's poison on me. It's no bodies friggen business what I take into my body or if I want to see a witch doctor for health care! If your worried about herbal remedies here's a novel idea don't take them! But don't try and bring government force to bear to force your uninformed beliefs on me or anyone else!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

How about you and government mind your own business and I'll decide whats right for me regarding my health care without you trying to force big pharma's poison on me. It's no bodies friggen business what I take into my body or if I want to see a witch doctor for health care! If your worried about herbal remedies here's a novel idea don't take them! But don't try and bring government force to bear to force your uninformed beliefs on me or anyone else!

You completely miss the point. This is not about the government telling you what you can or cannot do, it is about holding manufacturers in a particular industry to the same standards. The government forces chemical companies to place a warning label on cans of paint thinner that says: "WARNING! Not for internal use!" They cannot stop you from drinking it if you believe it would actually be good for you.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
10,000 years of proof isnt good enough for ya?
you know asprin is from the pith of the wight willow right?
st johns wart is used for depression
camimille is used in tea to calm you
the poppy produces opiates for pain
chickory root can be boiled into a coffee like drink for constipation
garlic is a known blood cleaner
1 small chili pepper has more vitamin c than a big orange

i can go on all day! perhaps you should purchase a book on herbal remedies,use real herbs,not the herb 'pills'!
real herbs have the life spirit in them
the processed 'pills' do not!
peace

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

and while i'm on the topic,taxing and regulating herbs is just an excuse for big pharm. company's to controll them and get their cut. this is one of the reasons a certain other 'plant' is illigal!
god forbid you could grow your own herbs! you have to buy them from us!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
www.ihealthtube.com

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
hell yea they should. Along with a primary website that people can go on to post their testimonials to taking each item. And while you're at it how about the broke government paying for commericials for this website in the ratio of 1:1 of this websites commericials compared to big pharma commericials.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

real herbs have the life spirit in them
the processed 'pills' do not!

You're getting warmer... It's one thing to offer natural herbs with no promises or marketing. Everyone knows that camomile tea is a nice way to relax before bedtime. It is an entirely different thing for an herbal medicine company to claim that St. John's Wort "cures" or "heals" depression. If a company is going to make this claim on its packaging, it should be prepared to support this claim with the same sort of studies Big Pharma does. And, like Big Pharma, it should be obliged to list potential side effects.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

yes,i know what your saying. and i do agree.
my point is that people should research herbs,and be able to grow them there selfs without the pharm companies
scaring you into buying their man made ones.
maybe there would be a lot less harmful side affects if man would stop playing god with his magic pills!
i have had athsma all my life and been handed multiple inhalers to 'treat' it.
all they do is give me the shakes,and have actually been addicted at one time.
every time i was outta breath,i'd grab my inhaler!
then i thought 'what do non athsmatics do when they're outta breath?!'
so i rarely use them now!
but,i do use herbs and it helps a loy better then the meds.
i can't say which herbs because the mods will remove this reply. (sorry mods,trying to be as vague as possible!)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Anyone who claims that herbs do not help and there is no evidence that they do has NEVER used them. I almost died because a "doctor", and I use that term loosely, misdiagnosed me for close to 8 months at which point I was rushed to hospital with my gall bladder ripped apart and my liver poisoned. BUT i was just having heartburn right Doc?!!

It was only naturopaths and herbal medicines that made me healthy again, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING they doctors or hospitals did made me better. Yes, the removed the shredded gall bladder but really that was after the fact, they had 8 months to get it right.

Everyone I know who has dealt with a serious health problem and gone through the medical system will swear that herbal remedies are the way to go.

I dont even see how were still having this conversation in this day and age!

All medicines come from an actual herbal/plant source!! They are just synthetically creating them now instead of using the actual plant.

I agree that they should be tested and labeled so that people are not conned into taking medicines that do nothing. But really, we are fed poison all day long and given harmful meds that make people suicidal and still people scoff at herbal remedies!

To those who still laugh at herbs, do some research before you make such ridiculous claims!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

So....why should herbal remedies be subject to anything about what GMO
corporatons get away with?

To set the standard. Also, if these health companies listed details of benefits, ingredients and 'how' it actually benefits us with some scientific back up then more people would be willing to try it I reckon, which is obviously a good thing.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Too bad that in some countries like here in Norway it would then become a prescription medication automatically.
Which means it is impossible to buy these products if they have studies that have proven them to be effective.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join