It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for proof of herbal health claims

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Call for proof of herbal health claims

www.stuff.co.nz

Natural health products should have labels outlining the level of evidence of any health claims, Sir Peter Gluckman says.

Wow that would need a HUGE label then... because some herbal remedies have skads of documentation available

Also your title is deliberately misleading... you say 'proof' but your sources simply says "level of evidence" I would have a mod correct that because 'proof' and 'level of evidence' are two totally different things

I see no problem adding 'level of evidence' information to a product at all
edit on 6-3-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
And yes, Codex marches on. Bovine growth hormones for everyone!
Not just the priveledged in The United States!

I think you hit the nail on the head here, it's codex:

yes they are behind on their time table.. but they are working hard pushing this crap

edit on 6-3-2012 by pianopraze because: added rest of videos in series

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

"natural" health products should be required to have as much truth in advertising as anything else.

This is hilarious...what about GMO truth in labeling. GMO food is poision, yet
it has no label stating such.

Like this for example??

Do GM foods have to be identified on food labels?

Yes. It is mandatory for GM foods to be identified on food labels in Australia and New Zealand. These requirements became law in December 2001 and were put in place by food ministers to assist consumers to purchase or avoid GM foods, depending on their own views and beliefs.

Really dude - do a little research and try to deny ignorance, not display it!!

And how about you support your claims that they are poison?? In another thread tho' please, 'cos that's not actually the topic for this one!!

1-BTS is a dudette
2- the world is WAAAAAY bigger than your little cast off island [no offense to kiwi's] or your head for that matter
3- then you have the GAUL to attempt to censor her on a relevant subject

yup that's certainly quite a denial of ignorance you've got going there
egyptian style

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If , for example the supplement milk thistle stated that it can help restore liver function in many cases would it need evidence? It is used in hospitals as the only known possible cure for some things."Sillimaron"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

please refer to the OP.

Well, apparently the title of the bill is misleading...

Gluckman told the committee he was also concerned about the bill's name.

''It is unfortunate that the bill has progressed so far with such a misleading title,'' he said.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Absolutely - "natural" health products should be required to have as much truth in advertising as anything else.

For far too long the producers have been able to make or imply claims of benefits without actually being required to support the claims with any evidence.

Very occasionally false claims are bought to court for this or that, but not nearly often enough.

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sounds identical to Big Pharma claims. In fact, this is suspiciously looking like a move by them to pave the way in making herbal meds illegal so they can peddle their own drugs.

Also, when Big Pharma is brought to court for killing 100`s or more, more times than not they get away with it. But when it`s the herbalists in court, they get slammed with so many fines and compensations that they can no longer operate.

Yup, sounds like the plan is going accordingly.

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Bart Classen, a Maryland physician, published data showing that diabetes rates rose significantly in New Zealand following a massive hepatitis B vaccine campaign in young children, and that diabetes rates also went up sharply in Finland after three new childhood vaccines were introduced.

www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...

I think there are bigger problems then the amount of information avaliable re Herbal remedies that need to be addressed

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by Tecumte
LOL. I love posts like this. ummmm, I think natural remedies ALREADY aren't allowed to make specific claims without proof on botlles, the FDA is pretty clear on this, it send it's goons in often at the drop of corporate hat if it's corporate billion dollar symptom treating market faces any serious competition. Historical data can be found on most EVERY herb, people can decide for themseves the best approcah to treat themselves, they don't need BIg Nanny there to tell them what they can or can't put in their bodies,

I don't think the FDA operates in New Zealand.

I suppose it helps to read the OP article though....

''Without clarity as to the standards to be used, there is the potential for New Zealand's reputation to be harmed.''

He said health products regulations in Australia and Canada were highly prescriptive about acceptable levels of evidence.

''I would strongly recommend that regulations in New Zealand are equally robust.''

edit on 6-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

lol then i no longer have any qualms against the passing of that law
or op's chicken being stuffed with gmo's [serving as a guinea pig]

Researchers Prove GMO Foods Alter Organ Function: A Very Real Health Threat To Humans www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Nanjing University-based team showed that this genetic material will
bind to receptors in human liver cells and influence the uptake of cholesterol from the blood.

The type of RNA in question is called microRNA (abbreviated to miRNA) due to its small size.
MiRNAs have been studied extensively since their discovery ten years ago, and have been
implicated as players in several human diseases including cancer, Alzheimer's, and diabetes.

Cross Kingdom Regulation by microRNA www.nature.com...

Cross-Species Gene Transfer
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by soficrow
Now that scientists are looking for evidence of cross-species gene transfer, they're sure finding a lot of cases. Here's another one - a bacterial gene goes into an insect - and yes, it’s functional.

Coffee Pest Gene Transfer

An insect that plagues coffee plants likely got its bean-digesting gene from a bacterium.

Horizontal or lateral gene transfers—the swap of genetic material between different species—are relatively rare in animals and, when they are identified, they frequently have unknown ecological significance. Research published online today (February 27) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows that a coffee-devouring insect pest has a bacterial gene embedded in its DNA that encodes a coffee-digesting protein.

“What’s novel in this case is a bacterial gene going into the insect that actually allows the insect to feed off of a new food source,” said Julie Dunning Hotopp, a genomicist who studies lateral gene transfer at the University of Maryland and was not involved in the research. “It’s a gene that’s been transferred and it’s functional.”

I have a feeling cross-species, cross-kingdom and even cross-domain gene transfer is much more common than anyone suspects. Of course, even acknowledging the possibility is major - dogma decrees it's impossible. ...Welcome to the paradigm shift.

your science is a little bit behind the times
edit on 6-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I think there are bigger problems then the amount of information avaliable re Herbal remedies that need to be addressed

Yes...for certain. Really that is probably exactly one of the reasons they are wanting to do this,
as the herbs are nearly all to be beneficial for our health...they cant have that!

I mean, for example even parsley is an herb. Are they going to require a label
on parsley, sage and thyme?

Then what, if we want to grow our own herbs? Will we have to get a license?

edit on 6-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Wake up friends in the NZ, Mr. Sir Peter Gluckman is nothing but a whore in the pockets of big pharma, just like all the whores we call politicians in they US we here knows what goes on with the poison drugs they precribe and what they are doing with legislation againts anything organic.

Don't be fooled or you will lose your choice of holistic approach to your health.

Big pharma have billions to spend on buying any whore politician that will welcome their dirty and corrupted money in their pockets and our friends in the NZ are not exempt from their crap,prime minister's chief science advisor has sold his soul to big pharma.

I think the comments of these new zealanders ( one such example follows but please read more at the link )illustrate what Marg is saying above...and what BTS has been saying.. while this link is in regards to the new food bill it illustrates that this is a multi pronged attack on freedom of choice by a fascist corporate mentality that wants to eventually controll it all GLOBALLY

There are two sides to this FOOD BILL. 1, the trade and 2, the food safety. The second one food safety is a smoke screen. If Food safety were the agenda the Bill would have been entirely different. Food Trade is the issue here and under Purposes (a) TRADE is the priority.

I understand this Food Bill will not be part of Common Law once passed it is part of Codex Alimentarius. This apparently means that amendments cannot be made in NZ.

I would say that Fascism not Capitalism is at work. Capitalism gets the blame but Global Corporates who draft Bills to present to Governments of countries, expecting to manipulate the system beyond reproach by the people of the country is Corruption and Treachery at play. Those Politicians who vote for beyond reproach legislation should be on trial for Treason.

blog.greens.org.nz...

edit on 6-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Peer Reviewed Publications on the Safety of GM Foods

Are you sure? Thats for humans?

Look again, a very misleading headline!!!

Chickens, rats mice....rats....

Not humans!!!

Yes...that is typically how toxicity is established - by testing on animals.

Are you suggesting they should be tested on humans??

Edit BTW I do think this GMO debate is OT, despite my own contributions to it......
edit on 6-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

Are you suggesting they should be tested on humans??

actually it's your sell-out politicians you should be asking that question
but you didn't

your [soon to be mutated] chicken will soon be stuffed to the gills

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Consumers also have a right to think for themselves, and don't need a nanny-figure to encroach on the market because it assumes the consumer is a total idiot, which is more damaging than any herbal medicine claims.

Keep your regulations out of the market so I don't have to pay higher prices simply because you're doing something I never asked for.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with them putting all the info available on an herbal remedy... it would save having to do research if the available benefits were listed... after all Belladonna is an herb to, but I am not likely to want to take that

Europe has already taken steps to make herbal remedies available by prescription... but most of Europe has FREE MEDICAL for its citizens, so what does it really matter? So long as they allow those who know about the remedies to be able to obtain a license... this would be a good thing get rid of the quacks

Same in Australia and New Zealand... they too have FREE MEDICAL and dang good one too....

But if this took hold here in the US we would have a problem... because very few have medical coverage... and you would then remove an option for people who have no choice.

I myself had great coverage through a union... until my legs got to the point I cannot do the hours per month needed to meet the requirement for coverage... and I am years away from medicaid.. So I am stuck in the middle.

Our system here in the US... you have great coverage all those years you work and never really need it, then when you get ill and can no longer can keep up, when you need the coverage the most to get you back into the ring, they say "Sorry, its expired, you didn't have enough hours. But you can pay the $895.00 a month to keep the coverage"

So come for my herbs... your going to have to get past THIS first

And yeah they ARE legal in Nevada

So

PAWS OFF MY HERBS

edit on 6-3-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is definitely the big pharma industry lobbying the governments to increase the cost of business to it's competition. Plain and simple. The next move for them is to enter the natural remedy market themselves. Monsanto and agribusiness food giants have already entered into the "natural" and "organic" food market.

Here's an article about this same topic from the EU

Big Pharma Scores Big Win: Medicinal Herbs Will Disappear in EU

Big Pharma has almost reached the finish line of its decades-long battle to wipe out all competition. As of 1 April 2011—less than eight months from now—virtually all medicinal herbs will become illegal in the European Union. The approach in the United States is a bit different, but it's having the same devastating effect. The people have become nothing more than sinks for whatever swill Big Pharma and Agribusiness choose to send our way, and we have no option but to pay whatever rates they want.

And an article from MSNBC reporting the Big Pharma companies entering the herbal remedy market

Many herbal products made by Big Pharma Drug makers Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline and Wyeth also sell supplements

Some people who buy supplements to avoid Big Pharma drug companies may find themselves doing business with Big Herba, instead.

Some of the same companies that mass-produce drugs in huge chemical labs also churn out vitamin and herbal pills sold in bottles with rainbows, sunrises and flowers on their labels.
Dozens of other supplement makers reap more than $100 million in annual sales. One of the largest — NBTY Inc., on New York's Long Island — sold $2 billion last year in the United States alone. Its brands include Nature's Bounty, Vitamin World, Puritan's Pride and Sundown.
"They used to be mom and pop operations but now they're major companies,"

The Dietary Supplement and Health Education Act of 1994 exempted supplements from needing federal Food and Drug Administration approval, or proof of safety and effectiveness, before they go on sale.
$23 billion spent on supplements in U.S.
Americans spent more than $23 billion on vitamin, herb and other supplements in 2007. That's less than a tenth of the amount spent on prescription drugs last year, though much of that cost was paid by insurers. Growth in supplement sales soared after the 1994 law but sputtered in the late 1990s, when the FDA linked scores of deaths and heart problems to diet supplements containing ephedra, which it ultimately banned in 2004.

Might not be a bad thing to regulate these products now that Big Pharma is taking it over.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

That is not all, actually our poster and thread starter haven't researched enough of Mr. Sir Peter Gluckman actually his resume is quite impressive.

He is actually have already his own pharmaceutical research group so he will be the head of big pharma in NZ eventually.

In 1980 he returned to New Zealand to set up a research group funded by the then Medical Research Council. He spent the next seventeen years funded on research grants developing a group of more than 60 people focused on developmental endocrinology and neuroscience. This work both addressed issues of human growth and development and pastoral animal growth and development. In 1991 he was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Auckland while continuing to lead an active research group.

His group had started to make a number of findings that could be patented, that had value to the major pharmaceutical companies and in time were to lead to several NZ-based biotechnology spinouts

What else to do now that he is actually in a position that can influence politics in his nation.

What better than squash competition like holistic approach a make it difficult for NZ people to be able to get their hands on herbals or supplements eventually with laws

This man is just getting his feet wet and the sky is the limit

I will say that NZ have a dangerous man in charge as an adviser of science and technology in their mist.

This is a big pharma wet dream come true, specially if you are to be the big man behind all.

www.dur.ac.uk...

Big Pharmacy Man Peter Gluckman Exposed By Maria Bradshaw

www.youtube.com...
edit on 6-3-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well,
I was just keepin it warm till you came back with the sledge hammer

Just when I think I'm coporoparanoid then I find out I am....but it is with good reason

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

bravo marg!

gluckman seems to be morris fishbein reincarnated

sledgehammer indeed

Maria Bradshaw lost her son to suicide because the big pharma medications in New Zealand are both not labelled as a suicide risk and the Psychiatrists don't warn people. This kind of thing is not uncommon and the corruption must be exposed.

from the comments

this big pharma poisoner gluckman shill, needs to be nailed to un upsidedown cross and boiled in feces..

edit on 6-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment and video

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

LOL marg!!!!!!

you whacked him into orbit it seems

he's pulled a runner!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Consumers also have a right to think for themselves, and don't need a nanny-figure to encroach on the market because it assumes the consumer is a total idiot, which is more damaging than any herbal medicine claims.

Keep your regulations out of the market so I don't have to pay higher prices simply because you're doing something I never asked for.

How does adding information to he product stop people thinking for themselves?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

He is actually have already his own pharmaceutical research group so he will be the head of
big pharma in NZ eventually.

Marge, good catch!

Ah, well how very convenient then, he maybe learned from Micheal Taylor...
those revolving doors work well for those who move from private to
government service. Well paid yes men.
edit on 6-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join