It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for proof of herbal health claims

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by DJW001

Then why don't herbal medicine producers do their own double blind studies?

Well, case in point....the USDA allows GMO corporations to prove thier
products safe...no double checking, no peer reviews.

So....why should herbal remedies be subject to anything about what GMO
corporatons get away with?

Peer Reviewed Publications on the Safety of GM Foods

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
LOL. I love posts like this. ummmm, I think natural remedies ALREADY aren't allowed to make specific claims without proof on botlles, the FDA is pretty clear on this, it send it's goons in often at the drop of corporate hat if it's corporate billion dollar symptom treating market faces any serious competition. Historical data can be found on most EVERY herb, people can decide for themseves the best approcah to treat themselves, they don't need BIg Nanny there to tell them what they can or can't put in their bodies,

I don't think the FDA operates in New Zealand.

I suppose it helps to read the OP article though....

''Without clarity as to the standards to be used, there is the potential for New Zealand's reputation to be harmed.''

He said health products regulations in Australia and Canada were highly prescriptive about acceptable levels of evidence.

''I would strongly recommend that regulations in New Zealand are equally robust.''

edit on 6-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The only research which is permitted to be published in reputable scientific peer-reviewed journals are studies which have been pre-approved by Monsanto and the other industry GMO firms

www.globalresearch.ca...
edit on 6-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Typical redirection of attention off the real problems. It sounds like more focus on the direction of making natural supplements and herbs to require a doctor's prescriptions, that old Codex Alimentarius agenda at it again.

They have to do something, public opinion is growing against GMO.

And yes, Codex marches on. Bovine growth hormones for everyone!
Not just the priveledged in The United States!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by DJW001

(Dried seahorse, anyone?)

I prefer gull bladder bile mixed with my colloidal silver shake thank you very much.

Gull bladder bile? OMG, that is ridiculous, LMAO.

What about seaweed, I know people that eat that stinky dried slime, is that going to need regulation too? With Monsanto dominating the market, it will soon be very illegal to grow any food because it will be their patented seeds, and health foods with be Monsanto only foods, so what's the point?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Are you sure? Look again, a very misleading headline!!!

Did you even read your source ???

Chickens, rats mice....rats.... Mice, Rats, Chickens, fish, cattle

Not humans!!!

1. Hammond BG, Vicini JL, Hartnell GF, Naylor MW, Knight CD, Robinson EH, Fuchs RL, Padgette SR. 1996 The feeding value of soybeans fed to rats, chickens, catfish and dairy cattle is not altered by genetic incorporation of glyphosate tolerance. J Nutr. 126:717-27.

2. Brake J, Vlachos D. 1998 Evaluation of transgenic event 176 "Bt" corn in broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 77:648-53.

3. Fares NH, El-Sayed AK. 1998 Fine structural changes in the ileum of mice fed on delta-endotoxin-treated potatoes and transgenic potatoes. Nat Toxins. 6:219-33.

4. Ewen SW, Pusztai A. 1999 Effect of diets containing genetically modified potatoes expressing Galanthus nivalis lectin on rat small intestine. Lancet. 354:1353-4.

5. Hashimoto W, Momma K, Yoon HJ, Ozawa S, Ohkawa Y, Ishige T, Kito M, Utsumi S, Murata K. 1999 Safety assessment of transgenic potatoes with soybean glycinin by feeding studies in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 63:1942-6.

6. Pusztai A, Bardocz GG, Alonso R, Chrispeels MJ, Schroeder HE, Tabe LM, Higgins TJ. 1999 Expression of the insecticidal bean alpha-amylase inhibitor transgene has minimal detrimental effect on the nutritional value of peas fed to rats at 30% of the diet. J Nutr. 129:1597-603.

7. Tutel'ian VA, Kravchenko LV, Lashneva NV, Avren'eva LI, Guseva GV, Sorokina EIu, Chernysheva ON 1999 [Medical and biological evaluation of safety of protein concentrate from genetically-modified soybeans. Biochemical studies] [Article in Russian]. Vopr Pitan. 68:9-12.

8. Momma K, Hashimoto W, Yoon HJ, Ozawa S, Fukuda Y, Kawai S, Takaiwa F, Utsumi S, Murata K. 2000 Safety assessment of rice genetically modified with soybean glycinin by feeding studies on rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 64:1881-6.

9. Palombo JD, DeMichele SJ, Liu JW, Bistrian BR, Huang YS. 2000 Comparison of growth and fatty acid metabolism in rats fed diets containing equal levels of gamma-linolenic acid from high gamma-linolenic acid canola oil or borage oil. Lipids. 35:975-81

edit on 6-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

lol - yeah .....there's a small problem with Americans thinking there's anything outside their own country, except for Iran, Israel and those stupid Europeans!

New Zealand & Australian assessments for GMO can be accessed through this page - there's a link ther that takes you to a complete list of currently approved GMO organisms and their applications for approval.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Are you sure? Thats for humans?

Look again, a very misleading headline!!!

Chickens, rats mice....rats....

Not humans!!!

Yes...that is typically how toxicity is established - by testing on animals.

Are you suggesting they should be tested on humans??

Edit BTW I do think this GMO debate is OT, despite my own contributions to it......
edit on 6-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

willowbark tea

the original form of aspirin

before it was replaced by the synthetic
[and occassionally lethal] version

by Nazi-Bayer and friends

as a friend of big pharma

you do believe in aspirin?

what no chemtrail *COUGH* persistent contrail spraying jobs available?
[Sylphs got you grounded maybe?]

you've now got to shil *COUGH* propagandize for some mass-poisoning *COUGH* pharmaceutical company?

L
L

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Well, the idea is that herbal health claims need be proved safe.

Well, what if they were genetically modified herbs???

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

(NaturalNews) At a biotech industry conference in January 1999, a representative from Arthur Anderson, LLP explained how they had helped Monsanto design their strategic plan. First, his team asked Monsanto executives what their ideal future looked like in 15 to 20 years. The executives described a world with 100 percent of all commercial seeds genetically modified and patented. Anderson consultants then worked backwards from that goal, and developed the strategy and tactics to achieve it. They presented Monsanto with the steps and procedures needed to obtain a place of industry dominance in a world in which natural seeds were virtually extinct......

.....A few months later he got another shock. A company scientist told him that Roundup Ready cotton plants contained new, unintended proteins that had resulted from the gene insertion process. No safety studies had been conducted on the proteins, none were planned, and the cotton plants, which were part of field trials near his home, were being fed to cattle. Azevedo "was afraid at that time that some of these proteins may be toxic."

He asked the PhD in charge of the test plot to destroy the cotton rather than feed it to cattle, arguing that until the protein had been evaluated, the cows' milk or meat could be harmful. The scientist refused. Azevedo approached everyone on his team at Monsanto to raise concerns about the unknown protein, but no one was interested. "I was somewhat ostracized," he said. "Once I started questioning things, people wanted to keep their distance from me. . . . Anything that interfered with advancing the commercialization of this technology was going to be pushed aside." Azevedo decided to leave Monsanto. He said, "I'm not going to be part of this disaster."

To get their genetically modified products approved, Monsanto has coerced, infiltrated, and paid off government officials around the globe. In Indonesia, Monsanto gave bribes and questionable payments to at least 140 officials, attempting to get their genetically modified (GM) cotton accepted.(2) In 1998, six Canadian government scientists testified before the Senate that they were being pressured by superiors to approve rbGH, that documents were stolen from a locked file cabinet in a government office, and that Monsanto offered them a bribe of $1-2 million to pass the drug without further test
www.naturalnews.com...

maybe we should test herbs that have been in use for thousands of years......but I seriously doubt they have many suprises that aren't in the herb library I have now...we Know pretty much what to expect
Monsanto...NOT SO MUCH

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've been studying some of the natural weeds and herbs and spices and comparing them to the chemistry of medicines. I've been also studying the medical industries recommended treatments for emergency situations. I can tell you that some of these things are very real. I mainly study what grows around here and those that are used for food antidotes And a few dozen others so far. The Pharmaceutical companies almost got us to forget these free and natural weeds and herbs. We can't let them down after all their years of hard work of trying to cover this up. I can't make a general statement addressing all supplements. That would not be wise. I research every thing separately. There are also genetic variations in humans and some of these give allergies. There are also different types of metabolisms. Many meds have much more serious problems than supplements.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
LOL. I love posts like this. ummmm, I think natural remedies ALREADY aren't allowed to make specific claims without proof on botlles, the FDA is pretty clear on this, it send it's goons in often at the drop of corporate hat if it's corporate billion dollar symptom treating market faces any serious competition. Historical data can be found on most EVERY herb, people can decide for themseves the best approcah to treat themselves, they don't need BIg Nanny there to tell them what they can or can't put in their bodies,

I suppose it helps to read the OP article though....

''Without clarity as to the standards to be used, there is the potential for New Zealand's reputation to be harmed.''

He said health products regulations in Australia and Canada were highly prescriptive about acceptable levels of evidence.

''I would strongly recommend that regulations in New Zealand are equally robust.''

edit on 6-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

You're right lol, I didn't read it, I guess I'm so tired of seeing people pushing for BIg Pharma against the choice of consumers, I tend to jump the gun especially after reading the opening response. I think people NEED to be defensive (but yes I'll read the OP next time). With codex being pushed in Europe and likely heading this way. with attempts to put supplements under lock and key here at home, yes Guess I'm a bit jumpy.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

REMINDER

As much as GMOs need to be discussed, this is not the place.
This thread is about

Call for proof of herbal health claims

in New Zealand.

Please limit your comments to that area.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I've been studying some of the natural weeds and herbs and spices and comparing them to the chemistry of medicines. I've been also studying the medical industries recommended treatments for emergency situations. I can tell you that some of these things are very real. I mainly study what grows around here and those that are used for food antidotes And a few dozen others so far. The Pharmaceutical companies almost got us to forget these free and natural weeds and herbs. We can't let them down after all their years of hard work of trying to cover this up. I can't make a general statement addressing all supplements. That would not be wise. I research every thing separately. There are also genetic variations in humans and some of these give allergies. There are also different types of metabolisms. Many meds have much more serious problems than supplements.

I'm certainly not against using industry pharmaceuticals if that is what one wants to do, I actually make my livlihood in an indirect way from that industry, but what I'd like to see is CHOICE and access as regards herbals, and yes proper labeling is a good idea no matter where. Alot of Big Pharma drugs started with research into the molecules of natural substances and I think health care costs could be reduced dramatically if we could rely on non patented material. But of course that would eliminate the huge proifts and I don't see that happening any time soon.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Well, the idea is that herbal health claims need be proved safe.

No it isn't - please refer to the OP.

the claim is that any claims of benefit from herbal products should carry the evidence supporting such claims -

Natural health products should have labels outlining the level of evidence of any health claims...

Well, what if they were genetically modified herbs???

Cant' see that would make any difference.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
sure the scientific studies of herbal remedies in NZ..sure

in any decent library or book store, or on the internet in NEW ZEALAND one can very quikly find in depth anecdotal and scientific writing pertaining to the efficacy and safety of herbal remedies
If you can't, don't use them

use these

Prescription drugs taken as prescribed in hospitals are the fourth leading cause of death in the US and Canada,

commonground.ca...

Monsanto will use any regulatory means possible fair or foul world wide to achieve market superiority

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Wake up friends in the NZ, Mr. Sir Peter Gluckman is nothing but a whore in the pockets of big pharma, just like all the whores we call politicians in they US we here knows what goes on with the poison drugs they precribe and what they are doing with legislation againts anything organic.

Don't be fooled or you will lose your choice of holistic approach to your health.

Big pharma have billions to spend on buying any whore politician that will welcome their dirty and corrupted money in their pockets and our friends in the NZ are not exempt from their crap,prime minister's chief science advisor has sold his soul to big pharma.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Wake up friends in the NZ, Mr. Sir Peter Gluckman is nothing but a whore in the pockets of big pharma,

got any actual evidence to support that libel??

Or is it just that you have double standards for "big pharma" being requierd to label and test stuff and everyone else?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Eta: obviously I replied here without reading the other comments, and therefore did not realize you were calling only for comments about NZ. That said, my remarks only apply to the US, although this is a topic that has come up MANY times before on this side of the pond, and my comments hold true.

The fda, who is behind and responsible for, all health labelling in the US, refuses to accept most herbal remedies, and therefore will not label them.

In turn, it leaves these companies able to make any claim they want, without having to prove it.

Now, if the fda were to start recognizing, and labeling, the herbal remedies that actually DO have health benefits, its would eliminate the imposters, for the most part.

But it would also cut ito the bottom line for big pharma. So they won't do it. So it will continue, and many very real natural remedies will continue to get written off and overlooked because of others that are imposters. And imposters will continue to make profits off of witches brew.
edit on 6-3-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join