It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army.

Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.

4.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABDUL1
This is so everyone can get another perspective.

ilto.wordpress.com...

You should have added quotes...

And back to Uganda. Uganda is no longer experiencing violence from the LRA. Yes, I said it. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but it is a truth. For about the last year, since before IC hit the scene, Kony and his troops have been pushed into Congo, into the Garamba National Forest there. He’s sick, starving, and on his last legs. For the first time, Uganda is in the middle of real peace talks and the rebels have laid down their arms and are assembling to make peace. Why? This is happening because Joseph Kony was defeated. The Uganda People’s Defense Force (UPDF) has beaten them back and Kony was sitting in Congo starving to death.

Invisible Children was founded in 2004, with the film crew filming in Uganda in 2003. Watching Invisible Children is watching old news. Will watching it alert you to what has occurred in Uganda? Yes, but it will not let you know what is happening there today.

Invisible Children is too late. It has taught us that MTV type media can get university students interested in a world crisis, the problem is it took too much time.

This may be what bothers myself and the other Jedi about this story, it's outdated and seems a bit MTV for our liking. I can't confirm these facts yet, but it's worth further investigating.

edit on 7-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Even if he is no longer active, he is still wanted as a global terrorist and is wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court for the acts he carried out.
Saddam Hussein was 'no longer active' while he was hiding out in his caves, but he was still captured, bought before the court and sentenced to die.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Ive known about mr kony ever since lupe fiasco came out with this song www.youtube.com... and he, kanye west and parrell started the group Child Rebel Soldier, im glad to see so man people are finally supporting the cause.. good #t world :]

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Even if he is no longer active, he is still wanted as a global terrorist and is wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court for the acts he carried out.
Saddam Hussein was 'no longer active' while he was hiding out in his caves, but he was still captured, bought before the court and sentenced to die.

We Shock & Awe'd and devastated Iraq when Saddam was "active", where were we for active Kony? Zzzzzzz.... no one cared. Corporate "positive" interests have never included black or African children... like ever.

edit on 7-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Everybody look at Africa while your government takes your rights away, This has gone too big too fast to be legit in my opinion.
Especially considering there are more deadly events happening now (Syrian uprisings) that the average person knows nothing about, but some minor African warlord has gone viral.
So I'm going to have to agree with the members who think there is something fishy about the whole thing, as much as i hope i'm wrong.
edit on 7-3-2012 by MasterTemplar because: typing error

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
If the US, Great Britain, France, Belgium and others would stop supplying both sides in African wars with weapons, we wouldn't be talking about this today.

The war in Kongo is still going on as we speak and nobody cares about it. Leaders in Africa wouldn't be able to fight these wars without the weapons we hand to them.

There is lots of hypocrisy in this debatte

Apart from that the International Criminal Court is a farce as long as people like Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz and others, who are responsible for mass murder in Iraq are still enjoying their freedom. Maybe we should send some hundred troops to Washington D.C. to capture those proven war criminals.

P.S.: I am certainly not defending Konys crimes with this post!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I saw this earlier today.

I'm concerned for children everywhere. I'll agree it's horrible too, blatant exploitation always is.

Horrible as the situation is, the story reaching this much attention by the US when we have some serious issues ourself to deal with is just fishy. Isn't this what the UN and NATO were for?

That photo of the founders is just surreal, it has this Hollywood "glow" to it. That one guy is trying to look tough in front of all these SERIOUS Ugandan faces, scary.

The US may have found huge Tantalum deposits (in cell phones and electronics), or some other resource many people overlook, all I'm guessing is there has to be some sort of beneficial reason the US is there. We are simply not that nice of a country (policy-wise at least), we just like to appear that way on paper.

But I'd much rather see stories like the FBI infiltrating NAMBLA and exposing horrible perverts. Or the fact we have technology that can put voices in your head, and it's already being used to advertise cheesey movies in public spaces.

I do agree it still deserves attention by someone who can do something about it, and is not monetarily motivated into involvement. I still gave you a S+F

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Definately going to hit Sydney CBD and get into this!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Thanks for bringing this up OP. I have mentionned Joseph Kony a few times during my time on ATS, the last being during the operations in Libya. It emerged at the time that Obama was sending "advisors" over and the majority of our US members (who to be fair didn't know who Kony was) were dead against any action. Hopefully, this view has changed somewhat.

Kony even got involved in Rwanda and still occasionally crosses into Rwanda (that is still one messed up country, despite lack of media coverage, with for example rape gangs targeting TOWNS full of people).

He is also a popular proponent of the Sierra Leone atrocity of "long sleeves or short sleeves" where they basically ask victims if they want their arms hacking off at the wrists or elbows - and there are reports of children being forced to do this to their own parents before going off for a life as one of Kony's child soldiers.

This guy, in my mind, is the most abhorrent person on the planet. Forget people like Bin Laden, this guy truly strikes fear into those he comes into contact with. I hate violence but this is one person i would truly love to see to see as a bleeding, quivering wreck slumped in a corner somewhere.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
www.blackstarnews.com...

The region of northern Uganda has been free of LRA rebel activity for over five years now. There is now peace and rebuilding going on. When I confronted the administration of Invisible Children about this information, they stated in an email: “I agree with you that leading people to believe that the war is still happening in Uganda is not ethically right. It's something we've been addressing internally, focusing on getting all staff and supporters on the same page in regards to the language they use in their communications.”

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by knightwalker

The LRA have been active in various countries, not just Uganda. I take your point though.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightwalker
No oil, no profits, nothing to do there. Could be good propaganda for Obama to go in & find him before election day.

For an hour now I've been searching for the history behind the makers of the video and program because while watching it something seemed a bit off and then when I got to the website and seen that they want 30$ for the start up package and 15$ a month to be a member.. I was like "okay c'mon now! I'm no fool!".

I know there's more to this and what you said here REALLY points out what it is.
In the video they all cheer when Obama puts the whole 100 troops into Uganda.
Obama is key. The colours that they use are similar to the Obama campaign colours, That Obey graffiti guy that did Obamas HOPE campaign poster is in the video.
This IS Obamas new campaign!

Obama will catch this guy and everyone will go yay for Obama.
In due time of course. We do have to wait for April when all the posters are up and Obama starts talking about catching this guy because its something that ALL the people want.

I do understand that this IS a real problem but there has to be another motive here.
You cant just make something popular especially with politicians and celebrities in a few weeks without having lots of money and connections.
If you could, OWS would have been HUGE and AIDS wouldn't be a problem anymore.

But maybe I'm just being paranoid... and maybe the fact that all the politicians and celebrities that are involved just so happen to be a Obama supporters is just a strange coincidence.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
WARNING

FACEBOOK HAS BLOCKED THIS TUMBLR PAGE WHICH QUESTIONS ICs LEGITIMACY

www.visiblechildren.tumblr.com

TRY POSTING IT ON FACEBOOK YOURSELF AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

I GET THIS

Apparently visiblechildren.tumblr.com was blocked from being posted on Facebook. How annoying. Complain to Facebook here and post “visiblechildren[dot]tumblr[dot]com” for now. I hope your Facebook friends are smart enough to work out that they need to replace the dots!

Also, tweet visiblechildren.tumblr.com to famous people on Twitter who are supporting KONY 2012. Quest from The Roots already tweeted a link to this website…

visiblechildren.tumblr.com...
edit on 7-3-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

Invisible Children was founded 8 years ago, before Obama was in power.
The term invisible refers to the fact that for years, members of IC went to various political party members to gain support and none of them gave them that support, deeming their goal 'impossible'. No-one was willing to help acknowledge that there were a large number of vulnerable children who were being abducted, tortured and brain washed .
The cheer was because finally the White House had taken notice.

The campaign isn't just to find Kony, but also to rehabilitate child soldiers, bring hope to children who thought they had no future by giving them a proper education, provide a radio system to warn others of activity.

Just because the LRA are no longer in Northern Uganda, doesn't make them any less of a threat to the other countless children who spend their nights sleeping in school halls, bus depots and other public areas.

I can understand that people have their misgivings, and that people will think "Well this won't work because it's not financially viable, what do they have that would be worth our time protecting in the meantime", and I find it incredibly frustrating and sad that people are not willing to help anyone in need because there is no financial compensation.

Where we are born shouldn't determine our reasons for not helping others.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This thing is absolutely taking off! The attention it's getting worldwide is amazing. I'm in Auckland and we are having a Kony 2012 march as well. This morning 2 thousand had registered to attend and now over 10 thousand. Would be incredible if it gets similar support in other cities worldwide.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

I understand that something needs to be done about this, but I think that this MTV-type approche is going to be used to either make a lot of money for the people that run the project (see visiblechildren.tumblr.com) or be used for political gains.
That's just me personally though. I have no problem with people that want to help other people, but I do get annoyed when people dont look into things before giving to who they think is receiving.

They SAY they're doing good but I've been seeing some bad things about them.
Can you explain this photo?
4.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

From what I can gather, the Sudan People's Liberation Front, pictured with the IC founders are some of the only military presence they have to deal with the LRA

ETA: see here at the LRA insurgency Wiki LRA-i, the listed belligerents against the LRA are named as:
Uganda People's Defence Force
Sudan People's Liberation Army
Military of DR Congo
MONUC
Central African Republic
United States

Definition of a belligerent being A belligerent (lat. belligerāre, "to wage war") is an individual, group, country or other entity which acts in a hostile manner, such as engaging in combat.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Im with you on this.. this whole story stinks of an "Invisible" hand at work.i watched the video for a bit and everything does seem off. why we are even wasting time on this when there are more pressing issues at hand?

To distract us, to keep us away from the truth. dont gobble up all the stories put out there. use your mind, spend your time well.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

I guess I'll have to look into it more. But not right now because I do sleep.. sometimes.
I'm just skeptical when things go viral.

Oh and on an unrelated note..
Your game blog is awesome funny.. sub'd!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join