It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

The time range I saw posted for Pacific ranged from 10 pm to 5 am, ie. the two times given were 1 am Eastern Time and 6 am Central.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Probably yes. We had a good proton storm and HAMmers were already saying they'd get some interference. Don't worry, they'll repeat your show about 3 times in a year.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by NeillieN
WARNING - Time code skips from 2012/03/06 22:24 to 2012/03/07 07:00 The blast peaked on March 7th at 00:28 This part is MISSING!!!

THIS IS HUGE PEOPLE MISSING OR ALTERED DATA WITHIN HOURS OF THE BLAST. On guard!

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Please elaborate on what you feel that might mean.

It time gap disappeared and was intact a hour later.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I'm not speculating on arrival time. Your post www.abovetopsecret.com...
had the speculated times which I merely was trying to help you convert to GMT. That's all.

Your quoted article said

06:00 GMT and 10:00 GMT

6:00 GMT is 3 hours and 10 minutes from now.

Just add 3 hours to your watch time from NOW and that's when it will be 0600GMT
edit on 7/3/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yes but there is supposed to be variance. That is 10 my time, as its 7 now, roughly, like my first time given. But elsewhere online someone pointed out that there was about 6 or so hours leeway. We'll see.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
Wow just in time for Purim jewish holiday

I can almost see the headlines now... "Benjamin Netanyahu declares Sun 'anti semetic' and holds that Israel reserves the right to launch a solar attack"

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have lost my vhf radio. I got no.. NO signal I guess this is the real deal huh?

edit to add it is back on!
edit on 7-3-2012 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mattodlum
reply to post by RealSpoke

8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was allowed to scorch people with fire. 9 They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: Added Scripture

Praise... If your backwards dog did exist and did these things it would just prove what a sadistic piece of crap he is....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Is it plugged in? If so, then, don't worry about it.
It'll work later on.

Radio waves have always been affected by the sun.

I had a marine radio licence and half the studying was about the solar effects.

Don't worry - it's not broken. It'll work later on.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

What sort of VHF radio?
VHF is line of sight, meaning it doesn't depend on ionospheric conditions, so the current radiation storm wouldn't have much effect on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

no it is not broke. just no signal. It stays on just about all the time.. (I live on my boat) and then nothing! haha and my wifi signal is 1 bar.
I just seen a video on cnn it is messing with airline radios also. watch the video on the home page.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

What sort of VHF radio?
VHF is line of sight, meaning it doesn't depend on ionospheric conditions, so the current radiation storm wouldn't have much effect on it.

Phage,

It is just like this link

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej

So with a kp index of 7, you may see some auroras at your latitude.
The kp index shows the fluctuations in earths magnetic field, the higher the number the more disturbed the field is. With no activity the number would be maximum 2.

in the link you can check the real time kp index
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have one similar.
Do you mean by "no signal" you can't contact anyone else?
Can you get the weather broadcasts? I don't know where you are but I'm getting the NOAA broadcast just fine.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I just looked outside. It's like a normal cloudy clear night. No Auroras yet.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

right now I am right by the port of houston and it is working now ( kind of ) but is was not getting any noaa nothing. I hate to hijack this thread but I have a Shakespeare about 46ft in the air. what is a good ( better ) antenna? I got something close to this now. link
edit on 7-3-2012 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Source article here

Some interesting clippings

It’s a matter of debate what an epic solar storm would do to the modern electric grid. The strongest events on record — in 1859 and in 1921 — hit before the power grid existed.
On the evening of Sunday Aug. 28, 1859, New Jerseyans saw "one of the most beautiful exhibitions of the northern lights ... ever seen. The sky brightened with them and the light furnished was equal to a full moon," according to the Newark Daily Mercury’s account of the aurora borealis.
That storm damaged parts of the telegraph system, and another outburst in 1921 brought the New York Central Railroad to a halt.

Whether transformers — the workhorses of the modern grid that ramp power up and down — would be vulnerable to a similar solar storm is unclear. Mark Lauby, director of reliability assessment and performance analysis for the North American Electric Reliability Corp., which is authorized by the U.S. government to set reliability standards, noted only a handful of transformers were knocked out in Quebec in the 1989 solar event.
"The power systems have been around a hundred years and we only had one event like this, in Quebec, and they were back up in nine hours," Lauby said. "This isn’t going to cause any physical damage except for a few frail transformers."
That view is shared by staffers at PJM Interconnection.
"We would think that the large majority of the transformers would survive," Koza said.

No spares for the big transformers, big deal to fix them. Even with power on in the workshop.

Yet George Baker, a retired professor at James Madison University who spent 22 years at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency — an arm of the Department of Defense that deals with threats including nuclear weapons — notes that nuclear weapons exploded in or above the atmosphere can produce an electromagnetic pulse much like the effects of a solar flare.
"The conclusion of the (electromagnetic pulse) studies was you could have something as bad as the entire national power grid collapsing," Baker said.
Instead of hours, he believes it could take years for the world to recover from a 100-year solar storm.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

When I get spotty reception the first thing I do is check my antenna connection.

But, as I said, VHF is not really affected by solar activity. In fact, if anything, it may make it possible to make contact with more distant stations. But that applies more to the ham bands than marine VHF.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sunspot 1428 just produced a minor C7.2 Solar Flare at 02:53 UTC

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The sunspots look like a dog looking at a flock of flying geese. when's it goina bark again?

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join