It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsrreal

We know the effects that a full moon can have on the mind.

What effects does all this solar radiation have I wonder?

It makes things grow, warms us and lights our path. Who says Nukes aren't helpful?
Well, except for the man made ones anyway.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

it only affects long conductors such as power lines (and telegraph lines). No affect on electronic devices.

Apparently the BBC —not to mention airline operators— would beg to differ:

...The storm may disrupt power grids, GPS systems and satellites, and has already forced some airlines to change their routes around the polar regions...

Source

Need it be mentioned just how prevalent GPS-based systems are?

...And it's not every day a major MSM source covers such an event. Includes a startling video clip too.

Head for the hills!!

(Or the polar regions.)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by Phage

it only affects long conductors such as power lines (and telegraph lines). No affect on electronic devices.

Apparently the BBC —not to mention airline operators— would beg to differ:

...The storm may disrupt power grids, GPS systems and satellites, and has already forced some airlines to change their routes around the polar regions...

Source

Need it be mentioned just how prevalent GPS-based systems are?

...And it's not every day a major MSM source covers such an event. Includes a startling video clip too.

Head for the hills!!

(Or the polar regions.)

does the term "Communication blockout" mean anything? It means that the ionosphere might be disturbed, that radio communications might be disturbed. GPS works by sending timing signals to the earth. If the ionosphere is disturbed, the GPS signals will be disturbed (i.e. delayed, multipath distortions, or fading). That is all there is to it. Heck, it is the same when you drive past a huge radio-transmitter, or through a tunnel, or underneath a bridge; your GPS-signal might be compromised, but is all. Some satellite transponders might be be turned off, better safe than sorry for a multi-million dollar device.
edit on 7/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: grrr..... wrong formatting

edit on 7/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
When is it going to get here???? maybe we'll all go back to living in the stone age....yeah total mass hysteria!!!! i can't freak'n wait....at least I won't have to put up with these stupid posts anymore.....ah ah ah ah....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Not to be a dick, or come off like I'm trying to diminish what you say, because I agree. I would rather go quickly, then a slow painful torturous death. How ever, any solar flare from the size that will ruin society, to potentially life threatening effects would be a truly Nightmarish way to go. Unless the sun belched out a CME Large and strong enough for the hot plasma itself to incinerate all organic matter and vaporize all the solid, and liquid water on the surface it will be a [I]SLOW AND PAINFUL[/I]. The effects would come on in waves, starting with Magnetic/electrical disturbances which various scientific studies have proved can cause panic, hallucinations, pain, and other horrific effects not to mention the fact life on earth would suffer from a variety of effects from radiation exposure before the hot plasma eroded our atmosphere and then impacted the surface ending in a true Hell boiling over experience. Flares that aren't strong enough to incinerate us would still be an equally horrific way to die, and for the most part we would have no idea it was happening. Say a flare comes along strong enough to wipe out all our power and communication. If you live in a major metropolitan area you will die due to disease, starvation and the collapse of society. Now, if it was a flare strong enough to deliver lethal levels of radiation, it could take a couple weeks before you perish, maybe even longer. So add the chaos of a bunch of panicked civilians who are entirely reliant on electricity to survive. No food, no water, no toilets, no garbage collection, mass chaos, fighting, riots and destruction. All the darkest imaginable sides of humanity in a last ditch effort to survive or take revenge on the world, coupled with radiation sickness; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, pain, headaches, your hair teeth and fingernails will fall out, not to mention bleeding nose, or other orifices..... Not a fun way to go.... So let's just hope for a large meteor or being at ground zero for a nuclear strike, because the end of the world by solar flare will be a guaranteed horrific end.....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom1701
When is it going to get here???? maybe we'll all go back to living in the stone age....yeah total mass hysteria!!!! i can't freak'n wait....at least I won't have to put up with these stupid posts anymore.....ah ah ah ah....

You seem to be powerless to just stay off the website. My condolences on your lack of power, will- or otherwise.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Can anyone with some real knowledge on this subject please let me know why this seems like a new phenomenon? Flares were never in the news now they seem to be such a big topic. Just more end of the world propaganda?

Im 37 and have never heard anything about solar flares until a few years ago but I'm assuming flares happen all of the time, no?

I know ATS love doom and gloom but what are we really dealing with here? Is there any actual proof that a flare has caused any recent or past earthquakes or massive electricity grid outages?

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Please note the context of my statement and the post I was replying to.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattodlum

Thanks for being so positive about this and giving our species hope

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
Can anyone with some real knowledge on this subject please let me know why this seems like a new phenomenon? Flares were never in the news now they seem to be such a big topic. Just more end of the world propaganda?

Im 37 and have never heard anything about solar flares until a few years ago but I'm assuming flares happen all of the time, no?

I know ATS love doom and gloom but what are we really dealing with here? Is there any actual proof that a flare has caused any recent or past earthquakes or massive electricity grid outages?

Thanks!

because the sun is going to a solar maximum cycle. It happens every 11 years.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Yes they have created power outages and they corroded the Russian gas pipeline supposedly causing an explosion. No, there is no proven evidence to show that the earthquakes and solar Flares are connected. There is speculation of Solar Flare influence on earthquakes based on events in history but there is no conclusive evidence. It could just be coincidence.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Yes they have created power outages and they corroded the Russian gas pipeline supposedly causing an explosion. No, there is no proven evidence to show that the earthquakes and solar Flares are connected. There is speculation of Solar Flare influence on earthquakes based on events in history but there is no conclusive evidence. It could just be coincidence.

yes, it is different if you have a metal structure 100km's long. View transmission lines as antennas 100's of kilometers wrong. Extrapolate my maths from earlier, for an antenna 100's of kilometers long, and you have no protection on it. The same applies to metal pipelines that are 100's of kilometers long. But there is no reason to get paranoid and lock all your personal stuff into faraday cages. Just disconnect it from the grid. Simple as that. If you are scared of the solar storm, just unplug everything from the mains grid, and wait for it to go over. Stay tuned on batteries to a short-wave station, and when you can hear it again, it should be quite safe to plug in again. If the electric supply is fine, then no big deal. Get some backup generators and lots of fuel for it if you are really scared (but my experience from backup generators are that they have more spikes than the mains supplies, lol).....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom1701

I picture you with your mama holding your head against the computer monitor and using your fingers to type on this thread, since clearly you would not be doing it of your own free will.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
For all the "bring it on" crowd, it's a shame there won't be any power grid otherwise I would quite enjoy the endless whining on ATS about three weeks after the fact.

I can guarantee you that the rose colored glasses you are envisioning survival through is so far from the actual day to day that will become your life that the majority on here will wish they never uttered the words "bring it on".

There is a huge difference between not liking the current system and physically working for every meal, every night's sleep, every drink of water. Wait until the first time you actually catch something to eat and a gang of thugs steal it from you because they can and are too lazy to do anything themselves. Oh, and not to mention that the average lifespan will surely balance itself out around the 35 year mark after some time. Much like it was before technology and modern medicine.

Doesn't anybody think about the fact that if all natural, non-technologically produced medicines were the key to survival, the lifespan would have been much higher during the time that people actually relied on such natural remedies?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

A geomagnetic storm resembles the "heave" effect of an nuclear detonation but it only affects long conductors such as power lines (and telegraph lines). No affect on electronic devices.

some electronic devices have long wires, transformers and coils... it is... YES electronics can be effected... an unpredictable multiphAse-pulse can cause haVoc on electronic circuits.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
SHUCKS

that looks massive, Partially Directed, Directed, whatever!

NASA says Satellites may be knocked out?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Look at this folks. Sun looks scary. For those who don't know, this is a US Navy site though I'm not sure how recent the stream is:
lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yesterday's solar flares erupted from the giant active sunspot AR1429, which spewed an earlier X1.1-class flare on Sunday (March 4). The CME from that outburst mostly missed Earth, passing by last night at around 11 p.m. EST (0400 GMT March 7), according to the Space Weather Prediction Center, which is jointly managed by NOAA and the National Weather Service.

This means that the planet is already experiencing heightened geomagnetic and radiation effects in advance of the next oncoming CME.

"We've got a whole series of things going off, and they take different times to arrive, so they're all piling on top of each other," Harlan Spence, an astrophysicist at the University of New Hampshire, told SPACE.com. "It complicates the forecasting and predicting because there are always inherent uncertainties with any single event. Now, with multiple events piling on top of one another, that uncertainty grows." Discovery Nes" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Discovery News

This area of sunspot activity is active, and as the sun rotates, this region is shifting closer to the central meridian. Flares and associated CME's create a serious risk since this area is directed more toward Earth.
edit on 7-3-2012 by clook because: correction to name of link

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

some electronic devices have long wires, transformers and coils... it is... YES electronics can be effected... an unpredictable multiphAse-pulse can cause haVoc on electronic circuits.

Coils don't count. The conductor must be extended in order for the inductive effect to occur. It is the fluctuations of Earth's magnetic field inducing currents in long (extended) conductors which is the problem.
I don't know what you mean by multiphase-pulse.
edit on 3/7/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by imitator

Coils don't count. The conductor must be extended in order for the inductive effect to occur. It is the fluctuations of Earth's magnetic field inducing currents in long (extended) conductors which is the problem.
I don't know what you mean by multiphase-pulse.
edit on 3/7/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

extended conductors you will find are power lines, railroad tracks, and pipelines, and unshielded phone lines. Most long range communications are carried by fibre-optics, and though the cable also carries power for the amplifiers, the power lines are shielded, and moreover, the power supplies for the amplifiers are also protected against voltage spikes.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join