It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I ran across this..........

TheWeatherSpace.com Senior Meteorologist Kevin Martin has studied space weather effects and geological triggers for many years post 1999. Martin has some chilling information to give.

"I'm a meteorologist, but I know patterns and numbers well and the last strong X-event that hit our planet on this scale "coincidentely" triggered the Japan quake and tsunami last year," said Martin. "Geomagnetic storms could very well be a trigger for these quakes as they react deep within the crust and mantle where magnetic rocks lie. There are things we just cannot ignore even if we cannot see them."

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Seriously? Gooogle could answer you question at the speed of your Internet connection.

What question? I didn't ask anything, maybe you should google "teach me to read".

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No effects??! I wanna see the light show! All you diggers and photo bugs up the side of the world.... bring us your aurora when it comes in!

Dancing around the room...
Wanna see a light show,
Gotta see a light show,
Waiting for the light show,
Ougta be awesome

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by RizeorDie

To do what?

to effectively damage the power grids.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It wont get worst than this:

Power Failure in Canada During 1989

On March 13th, 1989 a huge solar induced magnetic storm played havoc with the ionosphere, and the earth's magnetic field. This storm, the second largest storm experienced in the past 50 years, totally shut down Hydro-Quebec, the power grid servicing Canada's Quebec province.

Montreal, March 15, 1989

Hydro-Quebec confirms that the March 13 blackout was caused by the strongest magnetic storm ever recorded since the 735-kV power system was commissioned. At 2:45 a.m., the storm, which resulted from a solar flare, tripped five lines from James Bay and caused a generation loss of 9,450 MW. With a load of some 21,350 MW at that moment, the system was unable to withstand this sudden loss and collapsed within seconds, thereby causing further loss of generation from Churchill Falls and Mania-Outardes.

Magnetic storms affect power system behaviour, mainly in that they cause transformer saturation, which reduces or distorts voltage. Hydro-Quebec's long lines and static compensators make the system particularly sensitive to such natural phenomena. For example, analysing the events that caused the March 13 blackout, the utility's experts noted a coincidence between the exceptional intensity of the magnetic storm and the tripping of several static compensators, especially at Chibougamau and La Verendrye substations. Immediately after this loss, records show voltage oscillations and power-swings increasing until the the lines from James Bay were lost. Within seconds, the whole grid was out of service.

The system-wide blackout resulted in a loss of some 19,400 MW in Quebec and 1,325 MW of exports. An additional load of 625 MW was also being exported from generating stations isolated from the Hydro-Quebec system.

Service restoration took more than nine hours. This can be explained by the fact that some of the essential equipment, particularly on the James Bay transmission network, was made unavailable by the blackout. Generation from isolated stations normally intended for export was repatriated to meet Quebec's needs and the utility purchased electricity from Ontario, New Brunswick and the Alcan and McLaren Systems.

By noon, the entire generating and transmission system was back in service, although 17 percent of Quebec customers were still without electricity. In fact, several distribution-system failures occurred because of the high demand typical of Monday mornings, combined with the jump in heating load after several hours without power.

Source: www.ips.gov.au...

So enjoy the auroras for now and prepare for the big one or an economic meltdown.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
FYI its on yahoo now. Sun Flares May hit Earth

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 3dman7

Well, Solar flares can have an effect on earthquakes sometimes. If a solar flare or multiple flares exite the atmosphere to reverberate, it induces a frequency into the earth below because they are inherently tied together by geomagnetic forces. When the crust vibration meets a fault line under tension and ready to rattle, it could make it go at that time. It doesn't really cause earthquakes, they would happen soon anyway. It just gives them a little boost. This is what I sumise from reading many articles on both sides and doing a lot of thinking about it

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3dman7
I ran across this..........

TheWeatherSpace.com Senior Meteorologist Kevin Martin has studied space weather effects and geological triggers for many years post 1999. Martin has some chilling information to give.

"I'm a meteorologist, but I know patterns and numbers well and the last strong X-event that hit our planet on this scale "coincidentely" triggered the Japan quake and tsunami last year," said Martin. "Geomagnetic storms could very well be a trigger for these quakes as they react deep within the crust and mantle where magnetic rocks lie. There are things we just cannot ignore even if we cannot see them."

This is a theory I've been reading a lot here. Let's see if something happens. My guess is that it is not real, just a couple coincidences.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The Auroras last night were crazy cool! Went out to an unpopulated valley and saw great colors. One "curtain" in particular was really active and went from green to yellow to red as it went up. Really active night. I am planning to hit it again tonight if it stays clear, should be an even better show

link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
MOST of you are over 5 years old... remember last time? No issues

this time... no issues

TRY and enjoy your weekends outside of the basement

I was thinking about that -- When I was 5 the population of the United States was 165 million, it is now 300 + million almost double. If the infrastructure problem is the grid acting as an antenna -- Isn't the antenna much much bigger now?

link   

If you are so scared, just unplug your stuff until the solar storm is over.

Umm... do you realize that it doesn't matter if you unplug an electronic device if the electromagnetic pulse is big enough? It will actually turn your electronics on even if they are unplugged. If it does that, then the odds are very high that anything with a semiconductor will be fried forever. This means that every computer chip that is not in a Faraday cage will be burnt up. Please, go educated yourself on the accounts of the Carrington event in the 1800's. If that were to happen today, the whole world would go back into time about 100 years. ALL electronics and grids would be lost for years!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViP3r

Originally posted by 12voltz
With all the combined brain power inside this thread can anyone tell me the effects a powerful flare will have on solar panels and associated regulators,batteries and wiring? And possible precautions to to protect such equipment if needed.Thanks

Unless your electronics are shielded in a FARADAY CAGE you might have issues with wires,regulators melting and fuses popping .I'd unplug it ,burn candles for a couple days until we know were out of solar danger. Good Luck

If it gets to that - the grid is going to start losing big transformers -- these devices have months if not a year lead time, of course that lead time is based on a factory that has electricity to run the equipment it takes to handle and fabricate something like this.

I'm old but I have always wanted a horse and buggy. Might even start a small buggy whip factory
I sure would miss my little race car though.
edit on 7-3-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattodlum

You seem a little too enthusiastic for my taste.. hope for a little cataclysm are we?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattodlum

Good, I'm getting really tired of you religious whacks. I've been striking deals with your god. Begging him to just take you #s to heaven so the rest of us can get on with bettering ourselves on this world rather than waiting for this story book some quacks wrote to come true. At least once the story is over, and the survivors emerge in the wreckage rather than some ridiculous cloudy paradise with out any of the pleasures you could have enjoyed on Earth you will have no choice but to join the rest of society and listen to science for what it is. FACT.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if the electric grid is down, the satellites are fried or nearly so, etc, what good is your electronic equipment in the house going to do you? Who is going to be broadcasting?

About all I can figure is you might be able to play DVDs and CDs in your own house, things like that, if you have working solar panels or rechargeable battery operated equipment.

What am I missing here?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

Flares are NOT dangerous to earth. EARTH can handle it. It's the man-made toys that are effected by the sun as they can overload electrical appliances.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoSoup4U

Neither solar flares nor geomagnetic storms produce an EMP.
A geomagnetic storm resembles the "heave" effect of an nuclear detonation but it only affects long conductors such as power lines (and telegraph lines). No affect on electronic devices.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoSoup4U

If you are so scared, just unplug your stuff until the solar storm is over.

Umm... do you realize that it doesn't matter if you unplug an electronic device if the electromagnetic pulse is big enough? It will actually turn your electronics on even if they are unplugged. If it does that, then the odds are very high that anything with a semiconductor will be fried forever. This means that every computer chip that is not in a Faraday cage will be burnt up. Please, go educated yourself on the accounts of the Carrington event in the 1800's. If that were to happen today, the whole world would go back into time about 100 years. ALL electronics and grids would be lost for years!

please go and educate yourself on solar storms and their effects. a class X5 solar storm would generate a flux density of max. 5E-4 W/m^2. That is 0.0005W/m^2. If your equipment has a power lead, or an antenna 1m long, that is the power that it would receive. Take for example, your USB cable, if you unscreen it, That field would induce a voltage of roughly 0.148V over that 1m cable (ok, I am simplifying it a LOT, I take it that all the power that falls into a square meter is concentrated on your little wire). Guess what, your USB ESD specif actions state that that port must handle 2000V ESD!!!!! your radio antenna always have back-to back diodes connected to it, for static discharge, that gives you 0.7V that your radio can handle on the antenna before the diodes will even start conducting, i.e. 3.5 times higher than your wimpy little 0.2V from the X5 solar storm. (the voltage is different from the USB voltage, because the impedance are different). If your SW radio has a dipole antenna 10m long, it will be 2V, so the protection will operate, but the diodes are normally 1N4148's that can handle 0.5W, and the total input power from the X5 even is 0.0005W, so even your radio connected to a 10m whip antenna is still safe.

When you have powerlines that are hundreds of kilometers long, of course, it is a different matter. There is no way a solar storm can blow up your electronics if you unplug it from the power grid. Heck, a single indirect lightning strike (i.e. a strike that happens close, but not onto your wires) can induce a field of 100 000V/m^2 in wiring. Compare that to your wimpy X5 storm that can induce about 0.2V into your USB cable.

edit on 7/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: recalulated for the 50/75 ohms impedance of a typical radio

edit on 7/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well i dont know much about solar storms but i can tell you that my computer is taking 30minutes to log off and i have had to shut it down 3 times to get it off..lol...also i had a trimmer her in west virgina..but its not listed on the usgs...figures...my hole home shook...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOPrimate
reply to post by LonelyGuy

Flares are NOT dangerous to earth. EARTH can handle it. It's the man-made toys that are effected by the sun as they can overload electrical appliances.

Well if one were bad enough the effect on "man-made toys" such as nuclear plants could destroy this planet.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join