It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

Is that little bump an the graph after the X5 what you are talking about being an X1? I thought it was just a bump that would extend the duration of the event and be considered part of the same flare...

I would think so too, but apparently, that isn't the case.

From SOLARHAM:

Incoming! The new WSA-Enlil Solar Wind Prediction is calling for a direct CME impact during the middle of tomorrow (March 8). The solar wind is expected to increase to over 800 km/s and Strong Geomagnetic Storming will be possible. This plasma cloud is the result of the X5.4 and X1.3 Solar Flare event very early this morning.

www.solarham.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wonder why spaceweather.com isn't updating there current conditions on solar wind speed ?? It's been stuck on 287.1 for the last 3 hours.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Same here in England, It was noticeable last night on 80 meters and even more today on 40meters and up.
No DX today!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here. Here is a little flare for the dramatic. It is beautiful. It is coming.

GOOD GOD ITS COMING!

And someone mentioned the ACE needles. Here. Click play to watch the needles.THEY DISAPPEARED!

And while we are at it.HAARP Induction Magnometer is like OHHH! MY GOD! right now.

But all in all stop worrying. Science CAN NOT! answer your questions about this coming event until after. No one will know what is going to happen until after all is said and done. Everything will be a best guess. And the best guess is.. I'm paraphrasing here "Some # is going to happen."

Buckle up if you have to. Put things in your microwave for safe keeping just in case. Like your random electronics that may be become susceptible ( make sure to turn them off also), your vehicles computer ( take it out and put in there). Your children ( wrap them in a warm blanket and pack them in).

With that I will leave you with this 30 min short movie to try and take your mind off things a little bit. Just take 30 min and relax a little.

Good movie yes? Whooo.... now get ready to ride the rainbow.

Oh and about the sun stuff and earthquakes, for those who say there is no connection,
It is part of your science so piss off.

Universality in solar flare, magnetic storm and earthquake dynamics using Tsallis statistical mechanics

You can read about this here

Abstract of a Harvard study

There is more, but if you are really interested in it you'll find it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The earth in flight :

And a bullet in flight:

It's a good thing MagNEOsphere is there to protect us from harm.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
We know the effects that a full moon can have on the mind.

What effects does all this solar radiation have I wonder?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just went buy some water, meat (I can grill), beers, ice, etc and took some cash from the ATM!

I can now wait for the power to get back having a nice barbecue!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
With all the combined brain power inside this thread can anyone tell me the effects a powerful flare will have on solar panels and associated regulators,batteries and wiring? And possible precautions to to protect such equipment if needed.Thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3
reply to post by PaTommyJ

Well, the last X-flare struck in about 17 hours, so, although they are claiming it wont hit until tomorrow, it could be sometime within the next couple hours.

This is just my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt. If I'm correct, it'll be the United States facing the sun at the time it hits.

Latest data from Cactus,'Computer Aided CME Tracking'
Angular width of the CME shows 302º, almost a full halo.
It had a max speed of over 1000km/s and a median velocity of over 600km/s.
So it will take aprox. 70hours to reach earth.

More data and movie
www.sidc.oma.be...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

HeHe, I'm glad I don't have any solar panels, it lowers their life expectancy considerably.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

no frigging effect at all!!!!! good god, I get so tired of the fearmongers over here. Yes, communications *might* be affected, yes, GPS systems *might* be affected, and yes, the power grids *might* be affected. If you are so scared, just unplug your stuff until the solar storm is over. NO, you radio with a little whip won't blow up, so you can listen to your favourite short-wave station, and (if) when it goes away, you should know the storm is here, and when it comes back on the air again, it is safe to plug you equipment back in.

If you are scared of surges, I suggest you just get a decent surge-arrestor, that will break the circuit when the overload gets too large.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
With all the combined brain power inside this thread can anyone tell me the effects a powerful flare will have on solar panels and associated regulators,batteries and wiring? And possible precautions to to protect such equipment if needed.Thanks

I would say that the people with the most knowledge don't comment much for some reason and they don't seem to offer real thought just facts as they come available. Not many facts available until after stuff happens sadly.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting. The sun's been quiet the last few weeks.

Source 1

A massive solar flare that erupted from the sun late Tuesday (March 6) is unleashing one of the most powerful solar storms in more than five years

What happened 5 years ago?

Source 2

A Huge Solar Flare Is Spewing Plasma At Earth, And It Could Arrive At 7 AM Tomorrow

:
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
spaceweather.com is saying the CME will reach Earth on March 8th at 0625 UT (+/- 7 hr), possibly triggering a strong-to-extreme geomagnetic storm. Repeat, STRONG to EXTREME geomagnetic storm.

Extreme is defined as: widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage. aurora has been seen as low as Florida and southern Texas

Severe is :possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California

Strong is: voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon.

So if i see a Aurora here in the Bay Area, California, Im buggin out.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Glad i dont live over there ,wherever over there is ? Sounds like its pretty stressful.
The flare must have reached you early

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
MOST of you are over 5 years old... remember last time? No issues

this time... no issues

TRY and enjoy your weekends outside of the basement

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by 12voltz

no frigging effect at all!!!!! good god, I get so tired of the fearmongers over here. Yes, communications *might* be affected, yes, GPS systems *might* be affected, and yes, the power grids *might* be affected. If you are so scared, just unplug your stuff until the solar storm is over. NO, you radio with a little whip won't blow up, so you can listen to your favourite short-wave station, and (if) when it goes away, you should know the storm is here, and when it comes back on the air again, it is safe to plug you equipment back in.

If you are scared of surges, I suggest you just get a decent surge-arrestor, that will break the circuit when the overload gets too large.

Wow i am sure they get tired of you too. Someone asks a question on a thread and they are FEAR-MONGERS I hear it over and over again. Some enjoy their discussions of possibilities if you want only facts and not to hear others thoughts go read the news why come on these threads and complain and insult!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

Unless your electronics are shielded in a FARADAY CAGE you might have issues with wires,regulators melting and fuses popping .I'd unplug it ,burn candles for a couple days until we know were out of solar danger. Good Luck

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yeah ,i think you might be right about that.I could probably just search the web ,but i like to stay close to home.
Thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As of 10 am this morning Solar Shield is in effect.

Might be a power grid shut down. Probably a day. They will cut all connections to the grid and switch them to ground. This will channel any excess electricty from the grid wires into the earth.

hmm....wonder if they remembered to soak down those grounding rods real good.....or if they ever owned an electric fence....

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join