It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damrod
Well I tried to find the Gov article that I mentioned but could not.

The front ten pages of google are just Bullsh*t blogs and looney tunes talking doomsday about something they don't have a clue about.

In a nutshell, the gov study says that the worse things that can happen in a minimum to mid x-flare scenario is nuisance issues...dropped calls, missing tv channels, static on the radio, gps malfunction...etc...etc...etc.

To give scale to this, the Carrington Event of 1859 (I think, don't hold me to that) was an X-45. This is like comparing a firecracker to a stick of dynamite...get the picture?

Well, that was before our magnetosphere took a shot in strength, not to mention the giant hole it now has. Things have changed a bit since then...get the picture?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Looks like you were on top of this, and right to a degree. I will mention this is the largest IN FIVE YEARS, I don't remember to many problems occurring from the bigger ones in the past.

m.yahoo.com...
edit on 7-3-2012 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2012 by yamammasamonkey because: Spelling and link

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips
news.yahoo.com...

"It's hitting us right in the nose," said Joe Kunches, a scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. He called it the sun's version of "Super Tuesday."

"But for now, scientists are waiting to see what happens Thursday when the charged particles hit Earth at 4 million mph."

radar detectors all over the world will go off!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
As like always, allot of screaming....... And nothing happened.

Read the thread...it won't even reach us until tomorrow, i doubt there will be much trouble, but the particles that bombard us are effecting us even if you can't see or feel them!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Things are certainly starting to pick up, will be interesting to see if the sun has any more activity before the much looked forward to date of 21st of Dec, or even before the New Year itself.

S&F

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

Agreed !

science.nasa.gov...
edit on 7-3-2012 by ViP3r because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Looking at the latest Stereo-B COR2 image, it appears that it has been damaged, or is it just me?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

How do the astronauts on the ISS handle such things? They have protection but only so much.

Well they don't have an atmosphere to protect them so they could die I guess. That's why NASA shut down the manned space missions this year because there expecting alot of solar flares.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Damaged.....or pixelated to hide something.

Or maybe it was just a bad frame and the next one looks fine.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Reply to post by Evanzsayz

Seriously? Gooogle could answer you question at the speed of your Internet connection. Expecting a rational answer concerning this nonsense on a conspiracy board is a display of the ignorance that keeps sites like this generating clicks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The only way an X5 could hurt us much is if it was in a series of flares that caused a pulsing of our atmosphere. Even 7 M5s spaced about an hour apart could cause more problems. It causes the atmosphere to reverberate and this can cause all sorts of problems with things.

Another thing I learned is that a glancing blow can sometimes cause more problems than a direct hit. It causes a long duration event. Take a glass and look at it. The energy of a flare makes sort of a rounded bottom glass with much of the energy held in the area of the glass itself. This leaves a hollow center or inside of the glass without much actual energy. It the flare hits the earth in the center or bottom of the glass the earth quickly goes through the glass. Of course you have to understand the glass is made of energetic particles and not glass. If the flare hits the earth on the side of the glass, it becomes a long duration energy flare but a little weaker initially. Much more area can be hit our atmosphere so the energy can build on our atmosphere to higher levels. So in essence a glancing blow can be worse than a direct blow sometimes. It can cause more of a ripping of the ionosphere and produce more and nicer northern and southern lights too.

Well at least I got to use this useless information that I learned from reading all that research. How to predict the quality of the northern lights.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The only way an X5 could hurt us much is if it was in a series of flares that caused a pulsing of our atmosphere. Even 7 M5s spaced about an hour apart could cause more problems. It causes the atmosphere to reverberate and this can cause all sorts of problems with things.

Well, this is technically a reverb event, because the X5.4 was followed by anX1.3 an hour later.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pfwag
Its only a matter of time before one big enough to cause a Carrington Event hits the earth

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend reading the book One Second After by Forstchen. While the book is actually a fictional account about what happens in a small rural town after an EMP attack, the affects and end results are the same as a Carrington Event.

How big would it have to be to cause a Carrington Event?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, the title sounds interesting, however, the link is currently down. Hmmm

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A huge solar flare produced by a large sunspot group is expected to produce a geomagnetic storm that could disrupt electric power grids and satellite operations, U.S. government scientists predicted on Friday.

dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000715/sc/space_sunspots_dc_1.html

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
we need an x50 to hit

What the heck is wrong with you? The LEAST thing we need it to get hit by any solar flare. If you want to get fried go jump in your oven, don't wish death and destruction on the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh No
It made on my local CBS affiliated website

www.kcci.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Try this link...

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Nothing to be afraid of, atleast I'm probably outside taking pictures of auroras here in Norway

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1ibl2ibs

Try this link...

news.yahoo.com...

Thanks for that.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Is that little bump an the graph after the X5 what you are talking about being an X1? I thought it was just a bump that would extend the duration of the event and be considered part of the same flare...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join