It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremor/explosive noise heard around Alabama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
James Spann our weather reporter is getting reports from 10+ counties of shaking and explosive noises. Only source right now is on his twitter or facebook page. He posted moments ago "Tremor/explosive noise today was not a quake. Sonic boom, meteor, blasting are all possible, but nobody knows for now"

Does anyone else live in Bama? I have not felt or heard anything yet
His twitter
twitter.com...#!/spann

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LerroyJenkins

Here's another link from a local news source there. Seems they have had multiple multiple calls all over the county about this, but no definitive answers yet. And nothing is showing up on the USGS website as far as an earthquake there either.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Thanks for the update. It appears it was only a onetime deal but I know the area pretty well and people are hearing it from tuscaloosa al to motevallo al which is a good 60 miles apart. Hope to find more on this soon.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is totally unconfirmed as of yet, but some postings I have found seem to lean towards a meteorite possibly having made an unscheduled landing somewhere in that area.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
This is totally unconfirmed as of yet, but some postings I have found seem to lean towards a meteorite possibly having made an unscheduled landing somewhere in that area.

If it was a meteorite, that shook like a tremor, wouldn't the USGS still pick up on the shaking? seems like it was pretty widespread. Not sure how things that work, I'm no expert or anything, just wondering.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

This is very interesting.

Bumping in hopes of more information on this matter.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I was at the dentist in central Alabama today when I felt it. I jumped up in the dentist chair. It scared my dental hygienist too. My first thought was earthquake.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rockscooby

awesome glad to hear someone from alabama heard about this. James Spann just posted on FB that about 20 mins ago (7:40ish) central, there were more reports coming from Marengo County West AL.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Latest reports they are saying its low flying military jets breaking the sound barrier. I don't believe this cause it is to wide spread. They are just trying to calm down the hype.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I live in Abbeville Alabama and heard no noise here. During the time mentioned we were sitting out on our friends porch talking so if something had happened down hear we should have definately heard it?? I wish I would have ...Sounds interesting. I never get in on any good stuff!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I live about 10 miles north of Birmingham. I did not hear anything, but I left work at 1pm because I am sick today. So, I was asleep when this happened. However, I was a crew-chief on F-16's in the Air Force. I have heard sonic booms before. They are loud, but nothing to the level of what these people are talking about. The closer the aircraft is to sea-level, the louder the boom. However, there is no way the boom will travel across 5 counties! There are to many hills and such. Heck, I am pretty sure this couldn't travel that far in New Mexico where everything is flat. This is not possible! I know this for a fact because of real life experience with military aircraft.
edit on 3/6/2012 by NoSoup4U because: added a sentence

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
For the guys who live here. I just checked the news and it is being talked about. Will be watching the 10 o'clock news as well to maybe get an update.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We've been hearing the booms in Middle Tennessee since last year. And on several occasions I've even spotted the cause.

It's Raptors. As in, F-22's.

Here's a news story from last year.

www.aviation-forum.com...

They change the flight plan sometimes. They flew over today, as a matter of fact, heading SW.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

i don't know if this "steam plume event" has anything to do with it but it is worth look at and see if it is near where this happened. i found this youtube while searching for earthquake information so it is strange that this happened today and the video was before the event.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Didn't hear anything, but I'm 2 hrs SE of Birmingham.
I always wondered how long it would be before I had a chance at hearing some of these strange sounds.

I'll be looking forward to updates.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
@loki41872 -- The closest AF base from where the reports are coming from is a good ways away. Not sure if this is case but it worth a look. The reports are just so wide spread.

@dmonkey-- This is the first i have heard of the plumes and thats kind of creepy. However the closest one I saw in the video was in southern Mississippi which is about 5 hours from where this was. Thanks for that though, I will be doing some research.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Do a search for "Tullahoma sonic booms"

It tells all. They aren't just flying over Middle TN, all the the SE US is being used as a test area. The ban on supersonic over populated areas has been lifted for the Raptor testing.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This might not have anything to do with this. A little after 3 today my son came in and told me to come outside the ants were going crazy. So I went out side. The ants were pouring out of an ant hill. They were going in a circle. Then they started to die. There was a mess of dead ants about 6 inches wide all around the hill. A few were still in the center and they were just wandering around in circles until they finally died.

I live about an hour and a half N.E. of Birmingham.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

Thats pretty creepy. I wonder if this has anything to do with the X-5 solar flare that just erupted from the sun?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I don't know I do know a year or so ago when there was a small earthquake in Ga the ants just walked around confused not following each other but no mass die off.

We didn't hear any noises up here. I just checked and the noises they are hearing tonight all across the state Span says are from aircraft. But he said it still doesn't explain the boom and shaking at 4:30. Maybe something is happening underground plates moving or stressing. Something the ants can feel but we can't.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join