It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House Passes China Tariff Measure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
US House Passes China Tariff Measure

WASHINGTON -- U.S. House lawmakers on Tuesday voted in favor of legislation that restores the government's ability to levy billions of dollars in tariffs on imports from China and other non-market economies, sending the measure to President Barack Obama for his signature.

Read more at:

www.nasdaq.com...

Well, with the economy still in the dumps (don't buy into the government figures), potential of conflict with Syria and Iran now the potential of a trade war with China comes into picture if this gets signed. If the Chinese get angered by this, expect them to buy less treasury bonds and we all know what that means. Interest rate hikes or the FED just printing money to fund the country. (and if I have to explain what that means then you have a lot of learning to do)

(and these tariffs will hurt the Chinese economy as it is heavy dependent on exports)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I do realize that the Chinese manipulation of their currency has a lot to do with the current situation we are in, but is this the best time to piss of the people that fund your budget shortfalls?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Looks like China already had an indication this was coming from this story.
FT.com China sells off US Dept

Why else would they sell off treasuries unless they knew this was coming?
Good find though
S&F
edit on 6-3-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Finally, Screw what the Chinese think, they can kiss my balls.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You have to remember objectively the government wants to significantly devalue the dollar. By turning the screws on China while we sit in economic and political turmoil we are asking for them to pull the rug out from under us and ultimately allow for hyperinflation.

It's at this point when the economies of the world are in Chaos that one world currency will try to rear it's head along with world governance. It's also when your going to see all the powers the government has granted itself over the last decade manifest themselves in a true test on whether the American people will live with it or push back.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
but what i find shocking is that the Senate could unanimously pass anything much less a tariff lol

On Monday, the Senate unanimously passed the measure, which would address a December court ruling that left trade officials in a bind after it was judged that countervailing duties on imports from nonmarket economies such as China weren't allowed.

edit on 6-3-2012 by roaland because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
So you will have to pay a few dollars more at Harbor Freight and Wal Mart. No big deal. I am all for import tariffs.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
So you will have to pay a few dollars more at Harbor Freight and Wal Mart. No big deal. I am all for import tariffs.

Maybe not as Harbor Freight and Wal Mart junk have to be of comparable quality to a US product.

If the product is made as good as the American product they have a case.

If the product is junk compared to a American product they don"'t have a case because its buyer beware.

It may come down to warranty on the product

If a US company has a 2 year warranty and the Chinese product has none then its buyer beware.
harbor freight sell you a extended warranty that covers in most cases the state required warranty so you are not buying anything just giving HF free money

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I do realize that the Chinese manipulation of their currency has a lot to do with the current situation we are in, but is this the best time to piss of the people that fund your budget shortfalls?

China is waging a war on the world using the markets by purposely keeping the value of their yen down , selling merchandise at losses while forcing their people to work like slaves and it is rumored they have stockpiled massive qua ties of all currencies to throw back int circulation at any time to destabilize and or destroy that currency.

top topics

join