It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Greatest Regret

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by twohawks

Originally posted by Starchild23

I have a sin to confess, the only one I will ever ask forgiveness for.

Namaste
edit on CTuesdaypm282812f12America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

I confess I haven't been as critical as I've wished to have been regarding funky ideas expressed by religious people.

Ok, your cruelty toward someones regrets are uncalled for. Grow a heart and join the rest of humanity. You may find a good deal more joy in life doing so.

It's not uncalled for, it was a question he asked, and I answered it, and it's genuine. Sorry if you that isn't your sort of thing. I think a lot of humanity would agree with me. I could feel guilty for injuring an animal, but I won't go as far to say it was a sin, especially given the situation. I'm pretty sure I'd feel a lot better not beating myself down like that, thank you.

If your post was meant to be sincere, I don't understand the need to bag on religion. Like it or not, it's an influance that awakens a great deal of humanity through difficult times and offers spliced for many in times of need.

I don't feel in any way that admitting their act had anything to do with religious belief

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Kaylaluv....

That was awesome what you wrote.

It reminds me of a book by Toni Morrison called "the bluest eye".

That book tore my soul to shreds. It was a an emotionally draining book to read. I cried the whole time I read it.

Your mom reminds me a lot of my mom. My mom was raised in the south but she did not buy into all the racist crap.

Thank you for sharing that, usually when I come to ATS I stumble across something amazing, of all the threads I have browsed today....this one has had the most meaning to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Namaste
edit on CTuesdaypm282812f12America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

I confess I haven't been as critical as I've wished to have been regarding funky ideas expressed by religious people.

Ok, your cruelty toward someones regrets are uncalled for. Grow a heart and join the rest of humanity. You may find a good deal more joy in life doing so.

It's not uncalled for, it was a question he asked, and I answered it, and it's genuine. Sorry if you that isn't your sort of thing. I think a lot of humanity would agree with me. I could feel guilty for injuring an animal, but I won't go as far to say it was a sin, especially given the situation. I'm pretty sure I'd feel a lot better not beating myself down like that, thank you.

If your post was meant to be sincere, I don't understand the need to bag on religion. Like it or not, it's an influance that awakens a great deal of humanity through difficult times and offers spliced for many in times of need.

I don't feel in any way that admitting their act had anything to do with religious belief

It may have not have been, but you miss the point entirely. I quoted what he said because of his question, and the fact that it instantly reminded me of the times I had wished I had been more forthright with a religious person. I have been personal hurt by people who feel they are superior because of their religious beliefs, and I really wish I would have spoke up, instead of being meek about my viewpoint of the matter.

Do you understand now?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Thanks. I hadn't thought about Rita in a while, until last night when I watched "The Help" for the first time, on pay-per-view. That movie made me think of Rita, with regret, so it's very fortuitous that Starchild started this thread today. That little girl didn't do anything to deserve the treatment she got, and she was too shy and quiet and scared to stand up for herself. Somebody should have stood up for her, but nobody did.

My mom is pretty cool, but she cracks me up sometimes. She tells everybody that she's a feminist, but she stayed home to raise her kids, and has cooked dinner for my dad every night for the last 50-something years. She did teach me some very important lessons in how to treat other people, so I'm awful glad she's my mom!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Oh how I can relate to your regret!!
Mine is very similar only it was a boy in about 1st grade.
He was always smiling & nice to everybody, a real gentle soul. Unfortunately this also made him a target. The boy bullies saw him as 'soft'.
One day I wandered out to the playground at recess and came upon a scene.
An image of his face contorted with emotional pain, tears streaming down his big cheeks, as he screamed 'WHY' to the bullies.
His head was spinning round taking in the scene of kids staring, snickering & laughing.
He seemed so bewildered as to WHY. He had only ever been nice & kind to EVERYONE.
He never returned to school.

I'm ashamed to say that I didnt intervene, & it has haunted me to this day.

But that incident showed me who I DIDN'T want to be, & I never again stood idly by in situations like that again.
I really wish I could see him again to tell him I'm sorry.

edit on 7-3-2012 by jewells because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Thank you for sharing such a personal account.
That shows courage.

I have made many, MANY, ignorant, stupid, unkind, unwise etc choices in my life, & like you, have true remorse.

The only way I can try to make amends for many of these choices, is to learn from them (which I have), and to try to always aspire to a higher way of thinking/behaving. At least then the pain I have caused hasn't been in vain, & the help & kindness I offer now can hopefully ease someone elses suffering.

Very few people are born perfect, & I do believe we are here to learn. Unfortunately,ts often only through the personal experience of making mistakes, that we truly learn who we are/aren't.

I'm sure your experience with that bird was a catalyst for many good deeds that you have done since.

Forgive yourself, you know you would never make the same choice again.

Much love.

S&F

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

I think your Higher Self knew that it could not be saved and you broke it's neck. That was a quicker death than starvation.

bless you xx takes courage to do something like that

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

I think your Higher Self knew that it could not be saved and you broke it's neck. That was a quicker death than starvation.

bless you xx takes courage to do something like that

Unfortunately, courage had nothing to do with it.

Morbid curiosity, mostly. To have power over whether something lived or died...and to this very moment, I believe I made the wrong choice that day.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Namaste

I'll be sure to pray for you...even though I don't hold much stock in prayer.

I think you may need it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
I kind of hate to say it, but I think it's an indication of shallowness that you find that act your greatest regret. You've somehow found "justification" for your other acts, which I would imagine include people?

I grew up in hunting country and could never get into it, although I'm an above average marksman. But, I did kill a red bird with a BB gun one day that truly affected me and, yes, it bothers me still.

I'll never forget it's red, red blood mixing with it's red, red feathers and--like you--I feel guilt. Even today, from that lesson learned, I'll put a spider--or even a cockroach--out before I'll kill it. So I think I know what you're getting at.

But I much more mourn the pain I've inflicted here and there against folk I've loved. Probably you're a lot better person than I've been, but I also know human nature and ego and such.

Of course we mourn the birds...but do we mourn our fellow human-beings?

I do not mourn fellow human beings, and I feel no shame in admitting this. Why? Because in all of its life, that bird committed no wrong, and never felt a hint of jealousy, and never did a single mean thing or made anyone feel bad. That bird was the epitome of purity. Birds kill nothing more than worms...and they immediately give their "meals" to their children, a kindness that is rather lacking in today's parents. In fact, the father birds will even lead danger away. Out of curiosity, trying to have a pet bird (and also as an attempt at repentance, by showing kindness to the creature) I tried to catch one...and it lead me everywhere but the nest and the mother bird.

That is true love. Go ahead, laugh at the idea of birds loving...but we are smarter (supposedly) and we have such a difficult time showing true love. So how dare we scoff at the idea of positive emotions in these simpler creatures?

People are monsters. There is no getting around this. They have chosen to exalt their physical desires above that which truly matters...the bird doesn't know any better, and yet it STILL chooses to call out when it finds food sources, call out when it senses danger so as to warn others, and takes care of its babies until they are ready to leave the nest.

In many, many ways, I respect that bird more than I respect any member of humanity. Why? Because despite all of the good they've done, they have also done wrong...no bird has ever done wrong out of pure desire or spite, and if you asked the baby birds...that mother bird made all of the difference.

You may mock me, you may scorn me...but in the end, I think you'll find that the bird I destroyed was much more deserving of mercy than many people in the world today. And if you don't, then you've been living with your eyes wide shut.

Namaste
edit on CWednesdayam474728f28America/Chicago07 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

It may have not have been, but you miss the point entirely. I quoted what he said because of his question, and the fact that it instantly reminded me of the times I had wished I had been more forthright with a religious person. I have been personal hurt by people who feel they are superior because of their religious beliefs, and I really wish I would have spoke up, instead of being meek about my viewpoint of the matter.

Do you understand now?

I think not only did he misunderstand your point, but you also misunderstood my point.

My point was not that you should regret not having called someone out over their beliefs...nor was it that you should regret passing up an opportunity to confront someone because they are different.

My point was that I did something enormously cruel (in my mind), and that I wish I would have been merciful. I wish I hadn't followed the example set by so many people before me... "If it's wounded and it's not a person, kill it." If it had been human, doctors would have done their best to heal it. And it would have taken so much less to heal that bird, whatever was wrong with it.

There is a difference between confronting someone over their beliefs (especially if those beliefs make a positive difference in their lives) and explaining that they have stepped on your toes in some manner, and asking them respectfully to keep your personal views in mind.

I do not support confrontations based on trivial diversity...not if the diversity is harmless. That was never the point of this thread.

Given the choice of saving something or "throwing it away"...think carefully. Think very, very carefully. When you have the power of a god, what will you do?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Him accidentally killing that bird might have been the hand of god moving through him to put the bird out of its misery......how would we really ever know?

It was no accident. It was deliberate. And that's why it disturbs me greatly.

I made a very deliberate choice to kill something that could have been saved...I adamantly believe that the bird could have lived, and I knew it then. Yet I chose to deny it that chance...because I impulsively decided that death was an easier alternative. I arrogantly made that choice...and an innocent, wounded creature paid for that with its life.

That's why I regret it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

reply to post by satron

Do you understand now?

I think not only did he misunderstand your point, but you also misunderstood my point.

My point was not that you should regret not having called someone out over their beliefs...nor was it that you should regret passing up an opportunity to confront someone because they are different.

I don't see that point stated in your OP. If you did make that point, you're going to have to point it out, because I don't see it, and I'm sure other people don't as well.

My point was that I did something enormously cruel (in my mind), and that I wish I would have been merciful. I wish I hadn't followed the example set by so many people before me... "If it's wounded and it's not a person, kill it." If it had been human, doctors would have done their best to heal it. And it would have taken so much less to heal that bird, whatever was wrong with it.

Yes! This is what I got from it, not what you said in the previous quote.

There is a difference between confronting someone over their beliefs (especially if those beliefs make a positive difference in their lives) and explaining that they have stepped on your toes in some manner, and asking them respectfully to keep your personal views in mind.

Your belief made a positive difference in your life in this instance because you feel guilty for your actions? Are you glad that you feel that way? In your OP, you specifically asked what things you regret, and I stated what I have regretted, it's just coincidence that it intertwined with what you said in your OP. Frankly, I probably wouldn't have been reminded about it if you wouldn't have posted about your feelings of guilt.

The intention of my first post wasn't to make you feel bad, but for others to see my viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with my viewpoint, and it satisfies your question completely.

I do not support confrontations based on trivial diversity...not if the diversity is harmless. That was never the point of this thread.

You sure are feeding into though. How is my viewpoint harmful?

Given the choice of saving something or "throwing it away"...think carefully. Think very, very carefully. When you have the power of a god, what will you do?

I probably wouldn't have even touched it and instead got a shovel to finish it off and I would have went about my day.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I do not mourn fellow human beings, and I feel no shame in admitting this. Why? Because in all of its life, that bird committed no wrong, and never felt a hint of jealousy, and never did a single mean thing or made anyone feel bad. That bird was the epitome of purity...

Like human babies you mean, starchild23? Hmmm...you might make a good Christian after all, as it seems you believe in "original sin."

Or maybe just nihilism...worthless humans, etc.

Or just maybe there is an opportunity for some growth here for you. I know it would be hard for you to admit after starting and defending this OP. But what say you, that makes sense, about the thoughts above?

Good luck in you deliberations and personal honesty.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When I was in 8th grade, a poor child in the class passed a note to me which said "How much did your science book cost?

I didn't know, but I knew she was poor, and I sent the note back telling her she could borrow my science book whenever she wanted. When I got home from school, my mother immediately asked "where is your science book?". I told her. My father who was eavesdropping, asked her last name, and then he and mother had this conversation going like, I wonder if that is so and so's child.

The next morning as I was leaving for school, my mother gave me some money and told me my father said to give it to the girl to buy a science book.

I didn't. I didn't give her the money, but I told my parents I did.

That didn't bother me until I well out of high school. I look back on it, and I don't even remember what I wanted the money for.

.............Once my brother poured gasoline and a frog and set it on fire. He got into serious trouble with my parents for that.

Anyway, kids do stupid things.

I work with kids and parents now, and when I hear something like that I tell them I have a diagnosis.

Diagnosis: Stupid Thing. Unless it continues as a pervasive behavior, that's all it is.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I do not mourn fellow human beings, and I feel no shame in admitting this. Why? Because in all of its life, that bird committed no wrong, and never felt a hint of jealousy, and never did a single mean thing or made anyone feel bad. That bird was the epitome of purity...

Like human babies you mean, starchild23? Hmmm...you might make a good Christian after all, as it seems you believe in "original sin."

Or just maybe there is an opportunity for some growth here for you. I know it would be hard for you to admit after starting and defending this OP. But what say you, that makes sense, about the thoughts above?

Original sin? What was that? Eating the apple?

I don't think original sin has anything to do with this. The original sin sure wasn't murder.

The growth has already occurred. However, I still want to make amends. I'm just not entirely sure how.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I don't see that point stated in your OP. If you did make that point, you're going to have to point it out, because I don't see it, and I'm sure other people don't as well.

At what point in my OP did I, to any extent, imply my point was related to confrontation? My point was about the responsibility of life and death, and the poor choice I made. Never was anything about confrontation mentioned. You're the one who tied my point into confrontation, which is why I am now calling it to your attention that your interpretation of my point is inaccurate.

Yes! This is what I got from it, not what you said in the previous quote.

The section of my OP that this quote is questioning does not, in any way, suggest confrontation. It does not suggest that you oppose differing viewpoints. It does not instruct or imply that variety in beliefs is a bad thing. It discusses the evils of choosing death over mercy, and how I regret ending an innocent creature's life.

Your regret comes from an entirely different angle...one I neither suggested nor support. I wanted to make this clear.

In your OP, you specifically asked what things you regret, and I stated what I have regretted, it's just coincidence that it intertwined with what you said in your OP.

I don't agree. You've warped my message to mean something different.

How is my viewpoint harmful?

It offends people of the faith, for no reason other than you don't agree with them. Not everyone will agree with you, and you should accept that. I am not encouraging anyone to confront anything; violence and abrasion are not the points I am making here.

Simply remember to be kind to the innocent creatures...they are what we should have been.

I probably wouldn't have even touched it and instead got a shovel to finish it off and I would have went about my day.

Your tone hints deeply at a certain disrespect for life in general. I am no longer surprised you entirely missed the point of this thread. I hope that, someday, you will learn how beautiful life is, no matter what form it takes.

edit on CWednesdaypm282855f55America/Chicago07 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

choosing death over mercy, and how I regret ending an innocent creature's life.

You were a child. You did a Stupid Thing.

That is all.

Feed some birds in winter in it's honor.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

choosing death over mercy, and how I regret ending an innocent creature's life.

You were a child. You did a Stupid Thing.

That is all.

Feed some birds in winter in it's honor.

I love feeding the ducks. I try to do something kind every day, without asking for any kind of payment in return. Hopefully, it balances my karma.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Original sin? What was that? Eating the apple?

I don't think original sin has anything to do with this. The original sin sure wasn't murder.

The growth has already occurred. However, I still want to make amends. I'm just not entirely sure how.

Painfully obvious sidestep.

Consciousness, in the "awareness" sense, is what separates the birds from the babies so-to-speak.

Please review your own rather fascinating OP: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You're getting closer. But, feel free to sidestep as much as ya want. Those that "get it" do, the rest prevaricate and spout nonsense.
The "growth" has already occurred you say?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join