It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of Hedonism? It seems the most logical.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by imherejusttoread

OK, that's true, but you are still ignoring the fact that "being" is a word embedded in the very definition of happiness.

I'm not sure how happiness can be an "act", unless you are just pretending to be happy which is the not real happiness.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
I'm not sure how happiness can be an "act", unless you are just pretending to be happy which is the not real happiness.

Well, let me frame it this way: in the absence of happiness, what do you have? Non-happiness. How do you go from non-happiness to happiness? You act. A to B. B must be true happiness or else it is simply an act for further happiness i.e. like an infinite regression.

So I say, it is true that happiness can be a being, but for this to be genuine, it must be beyond the distinction of happiness or non-happiness. Until this is achieved, happiness is more of a verb than a noun.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Well, let me frame it this way: in the absence of happiness, what do you have? Non-happiness. How do you go from non-happiness to happiness? You act. A to B. B must be true happiness or else it is simply an act for further happiness i.e. like an infinite regression.

Why are you assuming non-happiness as the default position? Happiness is the absence of suffering. People aren't naturally suffering, they are naturally happy, OK, content, until they react badly to a circumstance...

edit on 8-3-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join