It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of Hedonism? It seems the most logical.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

As long as what you do does not harm another................whatever floats your boat.

Once you infringe upon the will or well being of another than no, you are in the wrong and karma will catch up to you eventually.

Want to dance naked under the moon, howling and drinking, go for it.................just don't corrupt or rape a innocent child or animal.

Aleister Crowley said, "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law".

Wrong (at least in my book)......................as long as you do not injure, hurt or abuse another.

Again, harm none.

Would that include yourself?

Well I'm not sure on that one - you decide for yourself if you are going to snort that line of coke (or possibly you may not totally be in control of your own will if you have invited dark entities within) you are hurting yourself.

Hedonism?

Would like your take on this word.

To promise either by omission of truth (still lying) to another to get your way with him/her???

To claw your way to the top of a corporation by kicking everyone beneath you off the rungs????

Or to simply invite a bunch of friends over and have one big adult consented orgy????

(Practicing safe sex)

Humanity is headed down a dark path because of that one word.

Service to others = light, love and the opposite of destruction.

Service to self (at any cost) = dark, hate and destruction.

Simply look to "the beautiful people" who have embraced "Hedonism" and recently died before their time............they had everything money and fame could give them, yet died in a numbed state of being. They had everything yet had to numb themselves down - why?

Hedonism..........I'm not even Christian (spiritual not religious) and I can see how destructive this one attitude is.

My own personal experience has been that when I have made another happy, have given of myself and looked at making someone else happy - in return I have gained happiness.

When I have allowed myself to be selfish and seek only my own gratification I was not as happy as when I performed a random act of kindness.

Example: Bought myself a $2,000 diamond. It's nice and I enjoy it but the feeling of donating two days a month to a homeless shelter, and bringing in stuff I don't use or need anymore has given me more pleasure in the long run.

Guess it depends on how mature your soul is and your soul's purpose............guess everyone is different.

A dictator or even government that kills millions of innocent people to gain great wealth and power - are they happy? Yes for a time maybe.

But karma is a bitch only if you are.

And yes my brother or sister, there is such a thing as karma.

As above so below.

What goes around, comes around.

Safe journey.
edit on 6-3-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenEyedVixen

Ah, I see.

I was talking about social creatures vs non-social creatures.

Since non-social creatures don't have to care about the whole since they are independent, it may be more likely that they will subscribe to hedonism - doing whatever makes them happy, as for social creatures maybe love is what most would subscribe to.

This is giving me new things to think about now...

As for the philosophies, there are 2 that I thought of:

Paxism and an unnamed philosophy which I'll refer to as "Appreciationism" as of now...

Paxism says that everything is consciousness. Space / Aether is the conscious, eternal, infinite, omnipresent, and omnipotent container which all things exists in and are a part of. Space is not "nothingness", it is actually "something". It is the thing that exists through all things, and it is all accepting and all neutral (peaceful), however, "matter", the things with in it can become positively or negatively charged, and even change from one to another, but the neutrality (peace) is dominant since this is the state of Space / Aether.

Appreciationism says that everything is consciousness, and this consciousness is aware of itself and appreciates itself deeply. It is all existence and it is even you and I, and when we live our lives in appreciation, we see through the perspective of the consciousness of the whole or God if that is what you want to call it.

Not sure which one seems more true yet, if any.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I prefer Epicureanism, although they are based on the same root. living in such a way as to derive the greatest amount of pleasure possible during one’s lifetime

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Oh wow, those are both very interesting philosophies. Thank you for sharing.

I must say, they are similar to my own beliefs, although I have not put a name or truly related it to an already defined Philosophy or religion.

I believe we are all apart of the same eternal consciousness that is Space, and Time. This is the Infinite Creator, and the Infinite Creator in turn created the heavens, and by heavens I mean the galaxies, the stars, the planets. He also created God, or Yahweh, Allah, whatever you wish to call him and this God created us in his vision.

We are apart of the Creator who created our God and created us, we are all the same.

In this third, material dimension however, we have the plague of amnesia which makes us forget our powerful roots. We SHOULD live for everyone, as we are everyone in essence.

On this Earth however, we are divided and forget this fact. Divided by race, social class, religion, gender, sexual orientation, by region, by nationality, and even smaller things like the sports teams we like, or the music we like.

And in this process of division we are overcome by personal prosperity, and ego which lets evil into the world.

Our God allowed this Evil into the world because without it, we could not progress because we would have no obstacle to overcome. That obstacle is ourselves and our divisions, soley, when you truly think about it. We, as humans have made ourselves, other humans the enemy.

There's A LOT more to my belief, but that is just a general summary, as it is kind of off topic. Ties into what I saying earlier though, living for the prosperity of the masses, of the many, not just the one or the few.

This, is what life is about.

To me, that is.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenEyedVixen

Yeah I agree, especially with the division thing. WE create these divisions. WE put an invisible line on The Earth and say "We are this race" and "We are that race" and kill each other over it, when in reality we are just HUMANS and the land is just EARTH.

If people would think like this, we are all humans on earth, instead of saying we are this race and this is the land of that race, maybe it'll cause less problems - maybe...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Following the theory of breaking down the invisible walls of division, yes it would create just about what you'd call a Utopia.

Not to sound pessismistic, but I believe we are far, far off from that type of thinking as we are so deeply divided in this day and age.

However, it is extremely comforting to know there are other open-minded, and accepting people as yourself out there.

It gives me hope for humanity's future. It may just be bright someday.
I most likely won't be blessed enough to see it, but maybe my future children(as I have none, haha) will have the pleasure of experiencing this Utopia.

Like you said, maybe. Hehe.
edit on 6-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
We are social creatures by nature
Ever noticed how children act
Such a shame that their beautiful innocence is turned around by experiencing a world out of touch with it's inner child
edit on 7-3-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 7-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

this is most true,,,, it is the exception for a human to live a life without contact with others, at all,,,, how would you recieve your food, and clothing, and how would you find a mate to reproduce,,, also as 2 minds are better then one for solving problems and creating good and amazing things, so are many minds working together better then one.

as far as logical philosophies,

focus and concentration; the source and power and potential of your energy,,,

will power, intent.....

the "YOU" that is you, that drives your being,, that gets out of bed, and gets too it....

by directing attention, harnessing energy,,, it is how life exists,, it is how life excels, by concentrating and focusing energy at a task,,, pyramids, skyscrapers, cruise ships, cruise missles, symphonies, spaceships, can be created,,, realities can be made, lives can be lived and loved.

edit on 7-3-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Afir:
In the US-Constitution "Hedonism" is a legal Right

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If you're using pleasure/pain in the sense that Aristotle did (i.e. delighting in what is good or being intellectually inclined and hating what is evil or romanticism), then I certainly agree. But if you're using them in the sense of physiology, then it's basically a rejection of evolutionary development, which, if you look around, is not a good thing for survival.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread
reply to post by arpgme

If you're using pleasure/pain in the sense that Aristotle did (i.e. delighting in what is good or being intellectually inclined and hating what is evil or romanticism), then I certainly agree. But if you're using them in the sense of physiology, then it's basically a rejection of evolutionary development, which, if you look around, is not a good thing for survival.

I'm talking about BEING happy. Think happy thoughts, Talk about happy things, Take actions from happiness rather than desperation (trying to FORCE something to change). If you do get unhappy, just understand that something isn't right and that you can BE happy once again if you just CHILL OUT.

Originally posted by Human0815
Afir:
In the US-Constitution "Hedonism" is a legal Right

Definitely, these are people that seen the abuse of religion and government first-hand, so they knew the basic right to give us.

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by artistpoet

as far as logical philosophies,

focus and concentration; the source and power and potential of your energy,,,

will power, intent.....

the "YOU" that is you, that drives your being,, that gets out of bed, and gets too it....

True, and that "will power" or "intent" is basically a feeling of excited happiness that arises from within. It is inspiration. Inspiration that is NOT from happiness, is NOT from the natural flow of the universe. When you are happy you are being true to yourself.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

sure and many things can make many different people happy,,,,, I am happy with every little thing,, i have a sense that no matter what i will be happy because I am fortunate and thankful,,, every meal i appreciate and enjoy,,, the littlest things, every sunny day, every rainy day,, happy to be a live,..... also a sense of accomplishment,,, fulfillment,,, I enjoy music and arts,, i have some hobbies, I know that probably 80% ( probably way more but just random number) creatures that have ever existed on earth has had a rougher day to day existence then I have,,,, we as humans have the opportunity to live beautiful lives, to create, to appreciate...
you dont need to run rules and programs through your mind every moment making you crazy,, you can be easy on yourself,,,, but find a middle ground, because dicinipline to work and execute your concentration and focus is also necessary to create order in life,,,, it depends what you want,,,,,, i dont know your situation at all,,,,, some people are only happy if they shoot heroin,,, some people are honored with a career and family,,,, know that you are completely your own self,, and it is up to you to choose what you wish to do and what you can do,,,

now we run into issues when someone is only happy if they can kill others, or have other harmful fetishes,,,,,,
also to me hedonism can be detrimental, to over indulge,,, moderation is good, which is balance....

edit on 7-3-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

It is not just about action. It is also about your thoughts. Be happy and then take the action.

If you take action without being happy, it is desperation to get happy, and desperation is different from happiness.

So the action needs to come from you already being happy.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I believe this theory is slightly warped...

The purpose of life is not pleasure... the purpose is to learn. So the best i idea in that sense is to "take the good with the bad"...

As for causing other people Pain (bad) that is unavoidable isnt' it?

No... that like the rest is also your choice, You don't need to cause others pain... Unfortunatly sometimes we all put ourselves into circumstances which end up causing pain for others... but if we avoided said circumstance in the first place... no pain is inflicted.

In the case of addiction, you'll find that most people that are "addicted" to whatever drug do not actually want to be addicted to said drug... Its something that happens as a result of using the addictive substance... after prolonged usage... it no longer brings that person pleasure... its a return to what their body considers normal.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I can't tell you guys how much this thread rocks, it's fabulous!

Originally posted by GreenEyedVixen
reply to post by arpgme

I believe we are all apart of the same eternal consciousness that is Space, and Time. This is the Infinite Creator, and the Infinite Creator in turn created the heavens, and by heavens I mean the galaxies, the stars, the planets. He also created God, or Yahweh, Allah, whatever you wish to call him and this God created us in his vision.

We are apart of the Creator who created our God and created us, we are all the same.

I wanted to go a step further here, if you'll allow me....
You are correct he created us/everything, but people have forgotten that he fertilised an egg, nature shows us this is how most life on this planet has come about. Why not the entire planet? or planets?
Maybe our lessons were to really acknowledge where we came from, and be proud of that no matter what form we took. There would be no division in reality because we're all related in some form or another.
We are related to the entire system. Can't fight that

Awesome thread OP!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hedonism is a necessary step in evolution(one that is beyond where most humans are at this present stage), but it is not the final goal.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by arpgme

I believe this theory is slightly warped...

The purpose of life is not pleasure... the purpose is to learn. So the best i idea in that sense is to "take the good with the bad"...

Ah, I shouldn't have said "purpose". The only real objective purpose of life is to live, anything other than that is simply perspective, being happy is natural of course and you can choose to go against your nature and feel miserable but I shouldn't have used the word "purpose" there.

As for causing other people Pain (bad) that is unavoidable isnt' it?

No... that like the rest is also your choice, You don't need to cause others pain... Unfortunatly sometimes we all put ourselves into circumstances which end up causing pain for others... but if we avoided said circumstance in the first place... no pain is inflicted.

What if your very existence causes another pain? They want to change you in a way that you can never change and when they fail it causes them suffering. You just have to be yourself and allow them to suffer, because there is nothing else you can do.

In the case of addiction, you'll find that most people that are "addicted" to whatever drug do not actually want to be addicted to said drug... Its something that happens as a result of using the addictive substance... after prolonged usage... it no longer brings that person pleasure... its a return to what their body considers normal.

I'm not sure what your point is...
If a person is using drugs and they are suffering because they are addicted to something that they no longer wish to be addicted to, then the common sense, logical, answer would be to do what makes them happy and try to get away from it...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
I'm talking about BEING happy. Think happy thoughts, Talk about happy things, Take actions from happiness rather than desperation (trying to FORCE something to change). If you do get unhappy, just understand that something isn't right and that you can BE happy once again if you just CHILL OUT.

Well, in that case, it sounds like you're describing optimism, which I fully agree contributes to or at least tempers proper happiness, but I also hold the view that happiness isn't a state of being. It's an act, hence happiness etymological relation to the term happen i.e. acting.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by imherejusttoread

Not really. The word "happy" comes from the 13th century word "happ" which means "luck, or fortune".

Happy originally meant "lucky, or fortunate".

Happiness IS a state of being by it's very definition:

1. State of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.
2. Emotions experienced when in a state of well-being.

Also, I am not describing optimism. Optimism is hope. It is a feeling and a way of thinking which says that all is gonna be well. It is possible to be unhappy and optimistic. So they aren't the same.
edit on 8-3-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by imherejusttoread

Not really. The word "happy" comes from the 13th century word "happ" which means "luck, or fortune".

And luck or fortune are of actions or objects and a force in human affairs, respectively. Hence hap as an 'unforeseen occurrence', 'to happen', or chance.

Chance means something that takes place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join