It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious X-37B Space Plane Survives 1 Year in Orbit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
www.space.com...

Looks like its still up there going, do we know exactly what its purpose up there is yet? Hopefully, we finally perfect a reusable spaceplane it would be a great milestone for the U.S. Even talk about launching a 3rd one later this year. I wouldn't be surprised with America's track record though, if we somehow manage to turn this vehicle into a weapons platform.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Pretty cool it would be nice to see the PICS since it did happen
it took up there but 1 feels those are classified...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
it's a tiny little thing isn't it? I don't think it could carry much in terms or weapons or cargo. why use such a small ship. oh well. we won't be making any moon trips anytime soon anyway thanks to Obama.
edit on 6-3-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Looks like its still up there going, do we know exactly what its purpose up there is yet? Hopefully, we finally perfect a reusable spaceplane it would be a great milestone for the U.S. Even talk about launching a 3rd one later this year. I wouldn't be surprised with America's track record though, if we somehow manage to turn this vehicle into a weapons platform.

What makes you think they haven't already turned this into a weapons platform?

Anyway, good post s&f. I wonder if they are testing it long-term for a trip to mars?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's probably being used to upgrade/repair damaged spy satellites and such.

I mean, it would makes sense....

Or, conversely, it could be used to preform "Maintenance" against enemy satellites?

I don't think it's big enough to carry any weapons large enough to justify the cost of putting it up there.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
it's a tiny little thing isn't it? I don't think it could carry much in terms or weapons or cargo. why use such a small ship. oh well. we won't be making any moon trips anytime soon anyway thanks to Obama.
edit on 6-3-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

Electronics have shrunk in size since the shuttle was first conceived so chances are the on-board electronic equipment as well as satellites have gotten smaller as well. This probably saves a ton on fuel and cost, especially since there's no point in sending a huge satellite that would be obsolete in ten years by one that's a quarter of the size.

Just remember that 10 years ago, the only option to watch TV was on a fat tube TV, then the HDTVs made them flat and now you can watch TV in better resolution from a screen that fits in the pocket.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It is something of a prototype platform. Its purpose is to test the capabilities, limitations, etc of crew-less space craft with a mission similar to that of the now-retired Shuttle.

One of the major advantages is in the fact that it is still up there. The craft can continue its mission until it runs out of supplies to perform that mission without concerns for crew sustainability. No satellite to service? No problem. Just sit back and soak up the sun until one does need service.

Missions that would require several shuttle missions over the course of a few years can be performed in that same time frame with a single launch and recovery operation.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It's possible that it is up there doing absolutely nothing for the most part, but just the fact that we have a space drone is pretty cool.

The potential applications are pretty huge... and it keeps the other guys guessing.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Remotely-operated robots and AI in space and whatnot are perfect applications of the technology. I think humans will really start going into space when: a) they WANT to b) they NEED to.

Look at the remotely-operated subs we use to explore underwater wreckage, for example.
edit on 6-3-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
could this be the shuttle a remote viewer "saw" being hit by a meteor?

Former DIA Officer reveal and confirm the worst NASA's Nightmare...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It is large enough for a couple of small monkeys.

They probably work cheaper than humans.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I noticed the X-37B space plane has taken off again today for an unknown mission and length of time again.......

top topics

join