It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS Films Super Massive Cloud!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This cloud is HUGE! I dont know what type of cloud it is but I had a look on google and I could only think of a rolling cloud, but a really really big one.

This is footage from the ISS, looking down at earth, Here is the video.
The cloud comes in at around 3min but i recommend you watch it to get a real perspective of the sizeof this cloud

edit on 6-3-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Bad URL for video...
2nd

Better now! Very interesting cloud....it does look a bit like those rolling clouds I saw posted on here, but I am no cloud expert at all.
edit on 3/6/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
ya, i think its been over my house for 12 hours and i s now dropping frreezing rai and ice pellets on me!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

It is just a layer of strato cumulus, from the looks of it.

I've seen such extensive cloud cover very often, from airplanes. Of course, the field of view is far more extensive, due to the height of the ISS on orbit. But, even fro the airplane you can see quite far to the horizon, and it is easy to tell when there is extensive cloud cover for over a hundred miles, uninterrupted.

The nearly straight, and well-defined edge is indicative of a "shelf" cloud configuration, and this is generally the result of a very well developed frontal boundary between the two air masses.

The Uploader's early comments about the clouds looking "weird" is a sign that he just hasn't been well around in life experience, yet. Looks more like a lot of very unstable air, many shifting wind patterns and directions, and that causes the appearance. Again, it illustrates the very obvious differences in the two air masses.....the scattered clouds, and the overcast clouds in the other region.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by n00bUK

I've seen such extensive cloud cover very often, from airplanes. Of course, the field of view is far more extensive, due to the height of the ISS on orbit. But, even fro the airplane you can see quite far to the horizon, and it is easy to tell when there is extensive cloud cover for over a hundred miles, uninterrupted.

The nearly straight, and well-defined edge is indicative of a "shelf" cloud configuration, and this is generally the result of a very well developed frontal boundary between the two air masses.

The Uploader's early comments about the clouds looking "weird" is a sign that he just hasn't been well around in life experience, yet. Looks more like a lot of very unstable air, many shifting wind patterns and directions, and that causes the appearance. Again, it illustrates the very obvious differences in the two air masses.....the scattered clouds, and the overcast clouds in the other region.

If it's so normal, why don't you provide a similar example since this is something you see very often.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by n00bUK

If it's so normal, why don't you provide a similar example since this is something you see very often.

I'm going to trust the pilot, who's job requires that he has knowledge and understanding of weather systems.

I imagine all rational people will do the same - but for the ATS demographic who sees demons in pasta, this is definitely a bad omen!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Go to the thread, here in the 'Fragile Earth' Forum, that has plenty of photographic examples.

Here, I'll do the search for your convenience:

NASA: Roll Cloud off Coast of Brazil

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
That's pretty dam big! No wonder I have days where it feels like there's nothing but cloud

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

At the beginning of the video you can see the curvature of the Earth, by the end of the video this cloud is wrapping around from at least the north pole to at least the equator and further down. There is not a single picture of a cloud in that source that is as big as this. Remember the picture is taken from the space station, not from joe schmo standing on the ground. This is bigger than the any hurricane I have ever seen on radar and ever cloud in that source you provided.

Funny doesn't look the same...

....but yea normal
Still can't find an ISS video that look even remotely similar to the video provided.
edit on 6-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Weather manipulation, if you dont see it then your not looking up.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Weather manipulation, if you dont see it then your not looking up.

Theres always one isnt there ...

Thanks for the info ProudBird

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Looks like the sky in Michigan about 6 months out of the year.
I recall being a kid and looking at these just huge, featureless, overcast skies that went from horizon to horizon with no breaks.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Wow, pretty amazing. That looks.. When i was first watching there was a couple of things that made me nervous, but one of which looks like ice??? The other looking like some volcanic activity below the sea. Vents perhaps, but also i would like to add to your attention to the meteor that had recently passed by. Would that create some sort of reaction in the atmosphere also taking into account its speed? I am talking enough speed to cause a bit more than a draft?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Sorry, but this is just not true:

At the beginning of the video you can see the curvature of the Earth, by the end of the video this cloud is wrapping around from at least the north pole to at least the equator and further down.

(edit): Oh, I see what's giving that illusion --- in the upper right corner of the frame, it appears to be a portion of space, and what looks like the edge of the Earth. Look more carefully. That is not the edge of Earth, it is something much closer to the camera causing a blockage.

Will also point out, at the very end of that video clip, you see the trailing edge of that cloud bank....as the ISS' view changes as it orbits, and the Earth's surface begins to re-appear. So, it really isn't all that wide, after all.

The field of view in the video does not encompass that much of the globe. The vertical aspect of the video frame is perhaps a few hundred miles, at most. From the pole to the Equator is about one-fourth of the total Earth circumference....or about 6,000 miles. You simply cannot see that much (one-quarter of the Earth) in that "look-down" view from only about 200 miles above the surface!

As to the other ISS videos.....just keep looking. I don't even want to guesstimate how many thousands of hours of video there might be, online.

edit on Tue 6 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It looks like a front.

If you go outside when a front is coming through, you will see the same thing. A big cloud wall pushing at you.
edit on 6-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wow, super massive

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The cloud was heading for Britain for sure.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

My thoughts exactly, looks like a typical Michigan day coming. It is cool to look at the earth from the ISS though, wether looking for strange things or not. I'm going to trust Proudbird on this one as he is very knowledgible in this subject.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
This is bigger than the any hurricane I have ever seen on radar and ever cloud in that source you provided.

Hurricanes are generally a fairly condensed weather phenomenon, and frontal systems can extend far further than the biggest hurricanes. But as ProudBird pointed out, the OP video does not show a view from the North Pole to the equator, and isn't as big as some people have assumed. Here is an example of an extensive frontal system shown on an image constructed from satellite data, although it is not a video feed from the ISS.

GOES-13 Satellite Reveals Active Eastern U.S. Weather

To the east is a line of clouds that stretches the entire length of the U.S. east coast from a strong cold front that moved off-shore on Thursday, October 20.

Sorry I can't embed the image, but I would encourage people to look at it. You can see the long line of dense cloud due to the front (extending further than the cloud in the OP video). Also of note is the disturbed cloud patterns directly West of the main frontal system, much like the OP video.

I recognised the terrible drawl of the youtube poster from videos he made during the Gulf oil spill, where he made similar unsubstantiated claims that were severely lacking logic and common sense. It appears he likes to make videos on subjects he knows nothing about, and I would not recommend putting faith in any of his claims without adequately researching them.

new topics

top topics

join