It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There has to be another way.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The only way I know how to connect to the internet is through a browser, i.e., Opera, Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc.

There has to be a way that we can connect to the internet and still have to same access to websites without using one of the browsers that can be shut down and shut us out.

We are all fearing the time when the internet will be out of our control or banned all together. but there has to be another way.

There are way too many computer geeks out here that can bypass the kill switch. I know much to nothing about computers or the mechanicals of the internet. I sure hope though that someone out there has found another way.

If it is an issue of money, I don’t think that is a problem. I see what people have spent for that silly little app “Angry Birds”. I think “Angry Folks” would prove just as popular.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I thought that was the whole purpose of firefox? Aren't they the free anti-corporate browser?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Maybe????

But I was thinking more along the lines of a kill switch insurance browser.

Can Firefox claim that?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How can a browser be shut down? It resides on your local machine. It's just a local window. The kill switch talk is not about shutting down browsers. It's about going after mainstream routers, which are not under your control. If you wanted to kill the Internet, you;d go to AT&T, Level 3, and a handful of other backbone companies and tell them to pull the switch. It wouldn't kill the net entirely, but it surely would put a big dent in things.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Okay. As I have proven, I have little to no knowledge of the particulars and the mechanicals of the computer and the internet.

I am just wondering if there would still be a way to connect to the internet if they did pull the kill switch.

I may have more faith then I should in the ingenuity of man, but I am surely hoping that someone will devise a way to circumvent complete government control if the internet.

But...as proven....I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am just wondering if there would still be a way to connect to the internet if they did pull the kill switch.

I don't know if this will help, but....The Internet was designed originally as a method of communication in the time of nuclear warfare when individual elements of the Net might be blown up. Visualize a series of inter-connected pipes through which (anything, really) flows. If there is a disruption on one of the major intersections of this network, the idea is that the flow of goods (in this case, packets of information) can be re-directed around the interruption. In other words, the Internet, by design, is massively redundant and designed specifically to resist 'kill switches.'

So, there's not a single place where you can simply put an on/off switch. To shut down the Net would be a massive job that would take a lot of coordination. Not that the government is incapable of doing that, but what I would imagine is that they would target certain segments of the Internet, say ATS, and target these sites or segments rather than the entire Internet, which is the largest engine of commerce on the planet today. Trillions of dollars go through the pipes every day. Shutting it down wholesale would have massive international repercussions.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Thank you that did help quite a bit.

Now lets says they did shut down ATS, that would be unfortunate but I still would be able to have access to other sites. But what if they shut down the browser sites. Since that is the only way that most of u know how to connect to the internet , what do we do then?

I guess what I am looking for is an alternate way to connect without being enslaved to the common browser.

I know that there is peer-to-peer, but that is just communication between two computers, right?

Is there a way that I can connect to the internet, still have the same access to any site, and not have to go through a browser?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Thank you that did help quite a bit.

Now lets says they did shut down ATS, that would be unfortunate but I still would be able to have access to other sites. But what if they shut down the browser sites. Since that is the only way that most of u know how to connect to the internet , what do we do then?

You must mean search engines, don't you? Like google and bing and so forth? I may be being too literal here so the term 'browser site' is throwing me. So I may have misunderstood you completely. Sorry. Let me just assume that. Just as a thought experiment, let's say they took down all the search engines. There are a ton of them, btw, so that's a big job. But let's say that was the issue.

You don't really need them all that much. You know where you want to go already. You've probably bookmarked your favorites. Most sites have links on them to similar or related sites. This "hypercard method" works pretty well. In my normal day on the net I don't even use a search engine because i have this estabished routine of sites I visit in round robin fashion. The sites are in history, so I don't really need to memorize the url; they just pop up.

Hope I got it right this time!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

If I want to connect to the internet, I go to my computer, I turn on my wifi, click on the IE, Opera, Firefox, ect. icon.

I am now connected. I place in the address box the website I want to go to and I am up and running on the internet.

What happens if there is not IE, Opera, Firefox, etc?

How do I connect to the internet?

I think I am missing something important because I guess I really don't understand how I get from A to Z.

I am sorry I don't have the right words to make my question make sense. I really do appreciate your time and patience.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

What happens if there is not IE, Opera, Firefox, etc.

Where would it go? It's a program that exists on your local computer. You either downloaded it or it existed on your computer when you bought it. No one can flick a switch and make it disappear. Your internet connection is provided by whomever your service provider is. THAT connects you to the Internet. That's your "pipe."

You cannot lose your browser unless you personally erase it or your hard disk crashes. Your browser is local, not remote.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I have been smartpaging for info and so far I have not found exactly what I am looking for but I am sure it is out there.

Thanks a million.

top topics

join