It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies! A Warning About Suave Keratin Kit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

She if half black, so usealot of moisterizer stuffs. Only wash twice a week, sometimes 3. Cutting shampoo may be q smart thing. But in the morning its matted to her head where she slept on it. So a trim might be in order.

I've had some success with dove conditioner, Gonna check the ingredients.

Thanks ladies. I will look into these suggestions!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Dump the "Dove". Products that claim to make the hair shine, do so by coating the hair, they block the hair from absorbing moisture and leave the hair ultimately dry, frizzy and eventually brittle. Silicones, petroleums and most other hair products damage the hair.

It should not hurt to comb your daughter's hair. It does take time and a three year old will not want to sit still that long, so find something to distract her. Dampen her hair. It is easier to comb when wet. Don't use plain water because it evaporates quickly and will cause further drying. Use a leave-in conditioner or a half mixture. Section the hair in 4 or more sections. Use clips or the rubber bands that don't break the hair, check carefully because some of the "Ouchless" ones will still damage the hair. Look for the ones that say "no hair damage".

Always hold the hair close to the scalp, start coming the hair at the ends in short strokes, separating the hair and detangling it. Her hair should never be pulled by the roots. If you feel a tug, grasp the hair tightly to prevent the hair from being pulled at the scalp, your hand provides the leverage so the hair is not pulled at the scalp and there will be not pain. Mist the hair as needed as you go, until all of her hair is detangled and ready to style.

When using clips, bands or any hair ornaments make sure that the hair is not pulled too tightly. That includes braids. Most people braid way too tightly. People with curly hair suffer dearly from hair that is braided tight because or hair elongates when wet or when combed, but fights dearly to return to its naturally curly state. Our hair continues to curl even when dry , so if pulled tight the natural curl will fight so hard to curl that I have seen and even suffered sores to the scalp from hair braided tightly. Leave the hair at the edges of the hairline alone. If they rebel and refuse to lie still after brushing, let them be. Trying to force hair at the temples and nape of the neck is a serious mistake that may cause life long damage. Let those little free spirits have there say.

Your daughter has beautiful hair. You just have to learn how to care for it. I promise you that the time and effort will be well worth it. It will get easier and if you can't afford some of the natural products don't worry. Some of the natural products can cost as much as 60 dollars a jar. That is way too steep for my pocket.

Someone mentioned Argan oil. It is indeed a wonderful product but hard to find. Read the labels. With most products you will have trouble finding the Argan oil even on the label. Someone mentioned apple cider vinegar. It too is a wonderful conditioner, both for hair and scalp, and no the smell does not stay once dry.

Go to "www.smartpage.com" and start your search, then open your pantry. I have used mayonnaise, olive oil, avocadoes, and numerous others products. Some I liked more than others and some worked better than others. Everyone is different and what works wonders for my hair may only yield okay results for your daughter. What works for her hair may have little results on mine.

She is only three years old. Things will change, more products will be developed, styles will change. The only thing that will not change is that the healthier her hair is the easier it will be to manage and the better it will look.

I must add that healthy hair really starts from the inside. There is no substitute for good nutrition.

Don’t throw in the towel. You are getting good advice here. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, there are many willing to help.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

OMG! I was just about to buy this after seeing it on TV....THANKYOU so much for the info and S&F for you ....I appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Holy moly that's some scary stuff. WTF?
I've had some soul and hair destroying moments with bleach in my time and have no intention of making such mistakes again. Unfortunately my penchant for black hair run's me the risk of some mad allergic reaction that will make me look like an alien - A swollen head I can tolerate so long as my barnet is still intact.

You have my thanks for the warning, and heartfelt sympathy for loss of your locks.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

If you want to put the time in that it takes to go through the henna and indigo process, you can get permanent black naturally (with VERY healthy hair) by using these two plant dyes together. There are some great resources for doing this, if you're interested I'll forward the info.

edit on 7-3-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thank you!!

I was looking at these types of treatment because I too think salon prices are not affordable. I've had no problems with at home kits before but I will now forgo the home kit and have it done professionally.

I would have been horrified to lose my hair like that!

I just colored my hair a ruby red color and their were two red booster tubes in the box and I dont remember two. I used both and was worried it was gonna ruin my hair if somehow two go in there by mistake. I didn't have a problem but i also took it off sooner.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
Thank you! A million times thank you!!
I almost bought this to put on my almost 3 yrs old

I cry everyday when it's time to brush her hair, because it hurts her. Hers is frizzy and curly.

Why don't you hold a clump of hair closer to the scalp with the fingers of one hand while brushing the ends with the other. Kind of make the hair, not the scalp absorb the pull of the brush. Then it won't hurt.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have started to see argon oil in conditioners in the drug store, 2 different brands I saw so far. Good luck to all with hair problems, hopefully the tips will help.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes please if you would. I think it may be time to make the change to a more natural method.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have very thick hair thats coarse and has a little curl. Ive used coconut oil for years and has always done the trick. My oldest has my hair and I oiled her and then started from the bottom of her hair and worked my ay to the scalp when brushing. Im now using coconut for deep treatments and argan as a daily.
Love it. I had waist length hair for many years and recently cut it all off in a very short swing bob.. I swear Ill NEVER go back to all of that oiling and braiding nightly.. love the short 'do ( even though the beautician has to thin it considerably and uses a razor to do my whole head!).. and I also swear that I look better with short hair. I get a lot more attention from men including the husband anyway! LOL!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I don't agree with you. It wasn't her fault at all. The company has a responsibility to it's customers. If a product claims to do something, then it should damn well do it, or it's false advertising. This product she used didn't just not work, it ruined her hair altogether. Apparently, it has ruined other's hair as well. It should be taken off of the shelf, or they should be sued. Also, I don't think that her wanting her hair to look nice is affecting society. Yeah, when someone only cares about how they look and nothing else, then it's a problem. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to take care of yourself and look nice. I laugh and shake my head at some of the stuff you people say. "Vanity is what's wrong with society." Seriously?! She just wanted to warn people about a terrible product. Some people are so dramatic! lol "Screw the world...all I want is soft and manageable hair!"

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have found that the kinky curly leave in conditioner helps a lot with controlling frizz if I use it generously before any other product and I make sure to scrunch my hair.

I understand why you would want to use a keratin product, especially if you have "high maintenance hair." I'm a low maintenance gal with high maintenance hair too, so I try to find hair products to simplify my routine.

Thank you for the warning. I will be sure to warn my other friends.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Save your money on a simple recipe for frizzy hair,

1/2 cup conditioner
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon almond oil

Mix Ingredients, blend well. Pour mixture over damp hair, work it in.... leave on for about 20 minutes, Rinse and wash your hair as usual, donate 300 to charity.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whalebrr

I would think using the conditioner you'd have to use an organic version or something similar due to all the ingredients that might make the honey and almond oil useless.

My friend actually uses pure Aloe Vera with good results for frizz. Something to think about if you want the all natural product and don't want to spend time rinsing hair and what not.

And well then you can donate to charity. Hopefully to one that saves polar bears.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MissDirtySouth

Yep, using a condtioner with less chemicals, something plain, would probably have more of a benefit. My donation would goto saving the whales,

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Quick update on my kid's hair, thanks a millions for the input.I've found something that is working
and she loves it!!!! She's happy to not wet her hair on non shampoo days and loves her curlies!! We have some kinks to work out on my part. Like defining the curls, but it's a learning process!

Here's the site I found info on, invade anyone needs it.
www.tightlycurly.com...
she is trying to sell her book but still gives the basics, so I may get the book

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thank you! A million times thank you!!
I almost bought this to put on my almost 3 yrs old

I cry everyday when it's time to brush her hair, because it hurts her. Hers is frizzy and curly.

After you wash her hair, spray on Aussie Leave-In conditioning spray. (It's a small purple bottle) When dry, use Suave Kids Detangling Spray. It's a green bottle and smells like apple. Give that a try and see if that works. It does for myself and my daughter. Also, I don't know if you know this, but it's easier to get rid of tangles if you brush from the bottom first. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

She if half black, so usealot of moisterizer stuffs. Only wash twice a week, sometimes 3. Cutting shampoo may be q smart thing. But in the morning its matted to her head where she slept on it. So a trim might be in order.

I've had some success with dove conditioner, Gonna check the ingredients.

Thanks ladies. I will look into these suggestions!

My daughter's hair gets matted something awful, plus she has severe eczema and her scalp is sometimes covered in scabs. For her, I've found Loreal Garnier Fructis Pure Clean shampoo and conditioners work wonders. Also, everyone is constantly on my case about washing her hair everyday because of how oily it is, but I had a hair stylist tell me every other day or every three days is fine. Otherwise you strip the hair of moisture and natural oils making it more unmanageable. The Pure Clean line is biodegradable has no silicone, and no parabens. Feel free to try it, my hair isn't as bad as my daughter's and Pure Clean works wonders on mine as well.

*Also if her hair gets oily, or anyones for that matter, don't use conditioner on the scalp, only on the ends. Otherwise the conditioner will add to the oiliness.
edit on 22-3-2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: Added tip.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join