It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies! A Warning About Suave Keratin Kit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hello lovely ladies of ATS. I just wanted to save you guys from making the horrible mistake that I just made.

As you can see from my avatar, I once had beautiful long luxurious locks. I was not blessed with this naturally. Naturally I have very poofy, frizzy hair. I had read about these miracle Keratin treatments from salons upwards of 300 bucks. I love my hair, just not that much.
I have tried every product on the market for frizzy, unmanageable hair. From the drug store to the salon, I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to get my hair to calm down. Imagine my surprise when during my usual product browsing I stumbled upon this:

I could hear angels singing as soon as I read the box. The box states to go online and take their quiz to "Make sure this product is right for you!" so I did. Yep, they HIGHLY recommend this product for my type of hair. Awesome! It was ON.

For some reason I had a bad feeling about this product. It sat on my shelf for three weeks before I got up the nerve to use it. Finally, I had a babysitter and a night to myself. I thought, HEY! Makeover! Naturally, right?

I read the directions, twice. I watched three tutorials on how to apply it. I started. The initial step was fine, left my hair feeling a little dry but that was supposedly normal. The second step came and I put the cuticle sealer on. In the shower my hair felt incredible. It was working! I got out and slapped on the leave in conditioner. The next step was to dry the hair straight.

I started combing my hair with the comb included in the kit. To my complete and utter shock, the comb had a wad of hair clumped in it. I stared in horror at my hair. No way, this is not happening to me. I kept coming. I lost three full hands of hair. Luckily I have a TON of hair, or I would have been BALD. I thought about taking a picture of the hair that came out but it was pretty disgusting.

I had to dry it or it would supposedly stay in whatever shape it dried in. I could not even run a brush through it. This product melted the last six inches of my hair together like someone had held a butane lighter to it. The hair was in such bad condition it matted together at the bottom like dreadlocks. Had I wanted dreadlocks, this would have been a perfect opportunity to dread it. But I didn't. I wanted hair like this picture and I was furious.

Dry, melted, locked hair isn't the only thing that happened. It turned my hair this unnatural shade of bronzey orange. I called my hair stylist in a panic and got an emergency appointment.

At the end of this ordeal I ended up having to cut 6 inches of ruined hair off of my head. I had to have it dyed, further ruining it, and put through two deep conditioning salon treatments. Finally my stylist could run a comb through it. When she saw me, she literally teared up.

I have called and gotten a refund in order for the product as well as the cost of fixing what it did to my hair. Further research online has shown I am one of MANY who have ruined their hair with this product. My stylist said she has never even seen bleach do that type of damage.

I just wanted to make you ladies aware of this and to stay far far away from it. From what I can gather the actual salon Keratin treatments are a whole different thing, but this product needs to be taken off of shelves ASAP. Tell your girlfriends.

Love and good hair,
Val

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm shocked at how it could do so much damage as for my hair when I was little I was blonde and dead straight now it is curly and brown, what gives?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Thank you! A million times thank you!!
I almost bought this to put on my almost 3 yrs old

I cry everyday when it's time to brush her hair, because it hurts her. Hers is frizzy and curly.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was kind of the opposite really. Mine was very curly and fine when I was little, then it got so thick it weighed the curl down and just turned into a frizzy mess

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail

I cry everyday when it's time to brush her hair, because it hurts her. Hers is frizzy and curly.

OH MY GOD
I am so glad you saw this. She would have lost all of her hair. ALL OF IT. Please tell your friends.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
ValentineWiggin
I'm sorry you had to go through all that over a product ..Im always scared to try anything new on my hair im a natural blonde but i go to the salon to have it lighted and conditioned ..But will be sure to tell my friends about this product so they don't go through the same thing..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Thanks for letting people know about a bad product it sure helps when people share their experiences!

If your hair is not dyed, you might try what I use just white vinegar and water, in the shower it will feel dry but after your hair dries it feels soft manageable and tangle free. it does not smell BTW when the hair is done there is no Vinegar smell at all.

Also my hair is old I am late 50's and yet it feels healthy and great with the vinegar/water a simple shampoo and add like the person below said after drying the coconut oil and wallah great hair!

edit on 6-3-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Not to throw fuel on the fire but....

This is what happens in our society where vanity rules and people do not want to be who they are, or they are overly concerned what others may think of them.

This is not an intent to make a swipe at you or anyone else, just pointing out the shortcomings of our society.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

This is what happens in our society where vanity rules and people do not want to be who they are, or they are overly concerned what others may think of them.

This is not an intent to make a swipe at you or anyone else, just pointing out the shortcomings of our society.

While I respect your opinion, I do not think that my desire to have straight smooth hair is any reflection on society any more than my choice to wear a black shirt today was. I simply wanted hair that was easier to manage to make it the way I like it personally so that I did not have to sit under a straightener every day.

I think Suave has a responsibility to create products for customers that work, have been tested, and well reviewed.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Try using coconut oil (smooth a small amount on towel dry or mostly dry hair) and wow! I must say that considering dumping chemicals on a 3 yo boggles my mind.

edit on 6-3-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you for the warning.
What a horrible experience.
My daughter has very thick and frizzy hair. She has recently started using olive oil and it has made a really big difference. She shampoos normally and then applies the olive oil to her hair and lets it sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Then she rinses it out. It does not leave her hair oily but does make it soft and shiny and easier to brush.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

Originally posted by Skewed

While I respect your opinion, I do not think that my desire to have straight smooth hair is any reflection on society any more than my choice to wear a black shirt today was. I simply wanted hair that was easier to manage to make it the way I like it personally so that I did not have to sit under a straightener every day.

I think Suave has a responsibility to create products for customers that work, have been tested, and well reviewed.

I understand people do these things for various reasons.

But... at what cost. Then when things go wrong people get all bent out of shape about it. I blame both sides here. The manufacturer for advertising a less than adequate product as the end all be all fix for the problems is part of the blame. Then the consumer is to blame for taking everything these corps say at face value and accept them as truth.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I know exactly how horrible something like this can make you feel. I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago with excessive bleach. My hair turned to rubber (like gum) and it melted off about chin level. It was awful. Upside is that it sent me on a path to searcing for alternative, natural products to use in place of chemical-laden products. The mass-marketing from the beauty industry is powerful, but not as much as the feeling of treating yourself and your HEALTH with respect. I feel lucky that (with some effort) I have been able to replace product almost entirely... There are so many sites and books out there to start looking at if that is something you're interested in. You may be surprised at what a good oil and some apple-cider vinegar will do!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Try using coconut oil (smooth a small amount on towel dry or mostly dry hair) and wow! I must say that considering dumping chemicals on a 3 yo boggles my mind.

Tried coconut oil. Personally, I think my child screaming in pain for 30 minutes it takes to brush and do her hair is cruel and torture. Way worse than " dumping a bunch of chemicals " on her hair

All I'm trying to do is find something that works for my child.

She has a tangled Afro mess. If you or anyone has any suggestions, I would consider them. Just like I CONSIDERED this product, and chose to wait.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Have u tried the Curly Girl method? Basic premise is to stop using shampoo and wash the hair with conditioner instead. It's something to look into if you wish... The book can be searched for online, probably some basic info, as well. There is also a fantastic forum for this, if you want the link please u2u me.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Can't u2u from phone, but I'd appreciate the info.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
there are a lot of bad reviews on amazon for this product. Apparently the suave people responded
Hi, We are very concerned by your review and would like to learn more about your experience. Please contact us at 800-671-6025 or email consumer.services@unilever.com.

so call and or e-mail them with your story, they need to know. you have saved a few people from a really bad experience, thanks for telling your story.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have VERY naturally curly hair that does not like humidity. It frizzes up something awful, and with it being long, I would have trouble putting a bushel basket over it. I quit using shampoos; using only conditioner to clean it, and then after shampooing, I use a little Argan oil on it. No tangles, and best yet, no frizz. My hair is soft, tangle free and shiny. Since I am also extremely tender-headed, the added silkiness is a welcome change. Try it! It works!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this experience and so sorry to read how awful it was. I've seen that product advertised and wondered if it did any good, now I know to stay far away from it.

----------------------------------

reply to post by LadySkadi

I just googled curly girl method and was surprised to read that's pretty much how I manage my hair. (On the days I even bother.)

Thanks for posting that LadySkadi, it's good to know I'm doing something right!

OiO

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Her hair is probably frizzy because it is dry. Don't wash her hair everyday. Don't use any shampoo that has detergent in it. Don't use any products with sulfates, paraben, silicone, dimethicone, mineral oil, petroleum, and avoid products with chemical perfumes.

Her hair is probably very fine and has split ends. Curly hair is extremely difficult to manage and it is extremely fragile. You wash her scalp, the hair will come clean in the process. The oils from the scalp doesn't make its way to the ends because the hair spirals. Only brush the hair at the scalp. Use a large toothed comb and always comb from the ends to the scalp. Detangle the hair as you go. Never pull or tear the hair. If necessary clip the hairs that are too tangled to come free. Of course that is the last result. With patience most of the hair can be detangled. I use a get sharp pair of small trimming scissors for this task.

Hair that tangles badly usually means a trim is needed. Start with a good trim to get rid of the split ends. Dilute you natural shampoo. Wet her hair. Put the diluted shampoo on her scalp and massage well.

This will clean the scalp and stimulate naural oil production. Gently manipulate the shampoo through he hair. Don't rub too hard. Rinse well with with warm water. When the hair is clean a rid of all shampoo, rinse with cold water. This closes the cuticles.

Gently remove excess water from hair. When hair is damp, put on a leave in conditioner. (One without all the coating agents I listed). Saturate her hair with the natural leave-in conditioner, gently detangle. While still wet use a light all natural moisturizer, paying added attention to the ends. Use a large tooth comb and gently detangle hair and let "air" dry. She will have soft, nonfrizzy, curly locks that both you and she will love.

Now for the really tough part. "Don't touch it!" If you comb her hair or she plays with it, once it is dry, it will become poofy again. If this happens use your emergency kit. Mist her hair with the emergency spray, just enough to put everything back in order.

Try to always use all natural products. Her brush should be a soft all natural boars hair brush.

Avoid any products, towels, etc. that excessively dry her hair.

It will sound over the top but you will notice a difference, put silk linen on her bed. The pillow case and sheets will absorb the natural oils from her hair, making it dry and brittle.

Emergency Kit.
Large tooth comb. (Comb with large spacing between the teeth)
Spray bottle with half natural moisturizer and half leave-in conditioner.

I am sure there are others that have secrets to share. Research and experiment. It took me over 50 years to find the secret to conquering and loving my beautiful and demanding curly locks.

Don't let anyone fool you. Properly caring for natural hair is not easy and it is not cheap. Done right you daughter will have soft, beautiful hair, without pain. She will have hair naturally that others will think came from a salon. By the way until her hair is health again I recommend a deep conditioning once a week. Once healthy, once a month will keep it healthy.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join