It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Says LulzSec Hacker Kingpin Was an Informant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

FBI Says LulzSec Hacker Kingpin Was an Informant

news.yahoo.com

The Federal Bureau of Investigation says that they've identified and arrested all of the key members of the now defunct hacktivist group LulzSec thanks to the clandestine cooperation of the group's chief who told many of Anonymous's secrets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Interesting that they ratted the rat?

I thought typically when they have an informant they tend not to globally expose him for obvious reasons? In addition they not only ratted the big rat but they also ratted out the small rats.

Was this the big announcement that Anonymous was going to put out?

I guess its a good thing they don't have leaders.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-3-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
Was this the big announcement that Anonymous was going to put out?

Guy Fawkes masks will be $1 off at Spirit Halloween next season. That's the announcement.

As for the LulzSec dude rolling over, I have only one thing to say, "LULZ!"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
yeah i dunno how i feel about this. You would think there would have been way more busts if they had someone that high up there for such a long time.

anon will never die

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf
yeah i dunno how i feel about this. You would think there would have been way more busts if they had someone that high up there for such a long time.

anon will never die

There have been quite a number of arrests made since SAbu's arrest last summer.
Topiary was just indicted today.

The cooperation will not end here, it will continue in to the future.

'Anon' may not die, but it will surely disintegrate into nothing more than an echo of what they wanted to be.
Unfortunately, the lack of leadership and loose membershi[p will be their undoing.

Its hard to keep everyone reigned in and squared away that way.
There will be slip-ups, and there will be more arrests.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well, good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

It's been less than a week since I was stomped like road kill for saying a certain traitor was scum. I used an example, specifically, that fits like a glove here. So.... Lets not have a single person complaining about *THIS* traitor who destroyed the remnants of Lulzsec, if this is all accurate. He was just doing what HE thought was right, huh? "Gotta respect that dude!
" Doh!

Sucks when the side you happen to love and support is the side that is burned to the ground by lack of character and lack of honor from one of it's own people. Huh? We can't call a rat a rat though. He was a man of ideals...working for a better world..as HE saw it. Isn't that just admirable.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Something about this screams bullshyt to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Maybe they're just trying to cause a little dissent within the group? I'd half expect anyone involved in any form of hacking is paranoid as hell, so getting something out there like this is a spanner in the trust department for any of these people/the group(s). How much do they know and trust each other to carry on for fear or prosecution...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Already posted this earlier......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You know, who's to say that Anonymous or LulzSec didn't concoct this as a plan?

Hacker1: "Hey, bro, we're gonna choose someone to act as our leader, then have him turn us in."

Hacker2: "WHAT?!"

Hacker1: "Hold on, listen. Here's the catch: they will only catch a few of us...there'll be a hundred more out there. But once they arrest a handful, we'll lay low."

Hacker2: "Okay...?"

Hacker1: "Then, after they're convinced we're done, we stealthily shut down every circuit. Open assaults don't work, so we gotta be sneaky."

Hacker2: "Dude..."

Hacker1: "Yeah bro?"

Hacker2: "You're a (bleep) genius."

Sneaky little devils.

edit on CTuesdaypm494955f55America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Posted this on another thread in response..

The funny thing about this is that the FBI still likes to link LulzSec to Anonymous as if Anonymous has a membership/leadership structure.. it confounds me how most people don't understand what Anonymous actually is.

The response from "Anonymous" really says it best..

On Twitter, members of Anonymous were quick to react to the news, saying that the movement has no leader and that the hackers’ arrests would not impact the group’s efforts.

The account @YourAnonNews, which has been a reliable source of news about the group in the past, commented on the story, saying, “Never forget: We are Legion. We do not have a leader nor will we ever.”

ANYONE is Anonymous.. there's no weekly meetings, there's no leader... there's only random individual hackers who take up the banner of Anonymous.. or individuals who band together for certain projects.. but that's all it is .. that is what makes Anonymous so powerful ... it's a headless beast.

LulzSec actually did have some organizational structure.. Anonymous does not.. this makes LulzSec vulnerable.

edit on 3/6/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i thought he'd get caught but didn't think he'd work with fbi to get other lulzsec members.

On Aug. 15, 2011, Monsegur pleaded guilty to more than ten charges relating to his hacking activity. In the following few weeks, he worked almost daily out of FBI offices, helping the feds identify and ultimately take down the other high-level members of LulzSec and Anonymous, sources said. In time, his handlers allowed him to work from the home

wow.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LAZers

I smell it too.

Seems like a psyop by a desperate tyrant.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
ANYONE is Anonymous.. there's no weekly meetings, there's no leader... there's only random individual hackers who take up the banner of Anonymous.. or individuals who band together for certain projects.. but that's all it is .. that is what makes Anonymous so powerful ... it's a headless beast.

And that is why its a problem ANYONE can pick up the mask and claim to be Anonymous..

it can be hackers who's intent is to 'help'
it can be script kiddies who only want to cause mayhem
it can be Chinese hackers out to attack the western world anyway they can and pass the blame
it can be government agents with an agenda of there own

The problem with no leadership is that there is no common goal... the headless beast is nothing more than a rampaging monster with no direction. For every single Anonymous member with a vision, there are a dozen with malicious intent. When those claiming to be Anonymous attack the very people who would most likely support their cause, then the cause is over and all you have is anarchy and random desruption all for nothing but lulz

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Originally posted by LAZers

I smell it too.

Seems like a psyop by a desperate tyrant.

Exactly how im interpreting it. Unless they did get the leader and charged him so severely he snitched.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Totally agree with what zorgon said, that was always the biggest problem with Anon.

As for this....well, FBI involvement in Anon has been pretty obvious since one of the guys who ran 4chan came out and said they had FBI agents lurking and working with them to find those who posted CP on the boards in his lengthy rant before he quit the place so obviously, who knows how many AnonOps have been closely followed on the inside by the feds.

If they go after the malicious people then sure, I can agree with it but if a broader stroke is made to catch even those helping people in Iran, Syria and other countries ran by tyrants and madmen or fighting for good causes then expect a massive backlash.

All it takes is a little push.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I guess its a good thing they don't have leaders.

My thought exactly.

S&F&

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Although Its not so much the member or so called leader, but his knowledge on how Anon works that is the big concern.

He could educate them on the exploits they look for.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the informant as his details are forever burnt into history's digital time line. In short, he simply ruined his cyber world for eternity and anonymity. There are simply to many out there that have his facial and bio stats and that is something that cannot be changed, altered or erased.

Have fun living outside the net

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Finally. I knew it. They will get you one way another. Thinking you can break the law behind a computer screen? Wrong. Welcome to the big house.
edit on 6-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join