It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parkinson's Stopped in Animal Model: Molecular 'Tweezers' Break Up Toxic Aggregations of Proteins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Woo hoo! Things are looking up!

While it's not known what exactly causes the disease, evidence points to one particular culprit: a protein called α-synuclein. The protein, which has been found to be common to all patients with Parkinson's, is thought to be a pathway to the disease when it binds together in "clumps," or aggregates, and becomes toxic, killing the brain's neurons.

Now, scientists at UCLA have found a way to prevent these clumps from forming, prevent their toxicity and even break up existing aggregates.

ATS member Soficrow has discussed these clumping or bending proteins in her threads such as in the following recent one

UCLA professor of neurology Jeff Bronstein and UCLA associate professor of neurology Gal Bitan, along with their colleagues, report the development of a novel compound known as a "molecular tweezer," which in a living animal model blocked α-synuclein aggregates from forming, stopped the aggregates' toxicity and, further, reversed aggregates in the brain that had already formed. And the tweezers accomplished this without interfering with normal brain function.

Working first in cell cultures, the researchers found that CLR01 was able to prevent α-synuclein from forming aggregates, prevent toxicity and even break up existing aggregates.
"The most surprising aspect of the work," Bronstein said, "is that despite the ability of the compound to bind to many proteins, it did not show toxicity or side effects to normal, functioning brain cells...We call this unique mechanism 'process-specific,' rather than the common protein-specific inhibition," Bitan added, meaning the compound only attacked the targeted aggregates and nothing else.

Well this is really exciting, imo. To have learned that these things bunch or clump or bend is one thing, but it only added to my frustration when I learned about what they were. Because it felt like a dead end of sorts had been reached... until the interminable wait would be over for researchers to unbend them. And now they have!

I have to say I really feel an impatience about the next timeline. That's when animal experimentation should be over and then human trials prove successful or not. I wonder if there is any way it could be sped up?

Source

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

I have to say I really feel an impatience about the next timeline. That's when animal experimentation should be over and then human trials prove successful or not. I wonder if there is any way it could be sped up?

Source

They said.

ANIMAL

MODELS.

in other words it's pie in the sky and they want the funding to continue and keep them in a job...

you need to calm down and realize they will come up with something some day...a patented money making drug paid for by taxpayers with a 10000% mark-up which will be marketed as follows:-

5% showed improvement with conventional treatment but 8% showed improvement with this drug.

hence this drug shows a "success" of 8/5 x 100 = 60% !!!

this after massaging the figures.

this is how all drugs are marketed.

so you need a reality check.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Compared to the fate with Parkinson's?

I'd take my chances with the drug.

You need a reality check. When you're diagnosed with Parkinson's, you aren't going to care how expensive those drugs are when you consider how you're going to die.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I am excited because even though it's a drug discovery for now, I do think other discoveries will be found in the biochemical field and maybe from natural compounds. I just can't help believing there's a research convergence going on. My goodness, they've managed to untwist the prions and that's remarkable. I'm hoping they can find something akin to discovering what coconut oil can do, or something that will fix this horror that people have to live with.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Genes are located on a chromosome,the make up of a chromosome is DNA and protiens.
Genes are part of a DNA strand. Genes operate in the nucleus of a cell.
Genes tell a cell how and when it is going to make protiens.
There are more than one type of protien,A different gene codes each protien.
Protiens take part in the chemical reactions going on inside cells.
Each cell normally makes the protiens it needs and only them. When a gene is inserted into DNA,
the cell then makes the protien,the insert codes for.
BLUE PRINT TO DNA
The code or blue print is four letters ACTG these letters represent DNA chemicals,called bases.
A gene is made up of many bases. The order of the bases tells what the gene is and what it codes for.
The DNA molecule is made up of two strands and is shaped like a twisted ladder.
Two different bases make up each rung of the ladder. The bases always join the same way. An A base on
one strand always joins with a T on the opposite strand. C on a strand always joins with G.
A-T C-G
A DNA ladder or molecule can split down the middle, assemble bases on each
half ladder and an extra copy of the DNA is the result, Two seperate strands of the same DNA.
This pattern made it easy for engineers to find the insert zone on DNA.

Genetic tools

Inserting a animal gene into a bacterium find the animal gene and cut it from the DNA strand.
Then you must find a place on the bacteria DNA to cut out making room for the animal DNA,
once you get everything in place you then glue it together.
SCISSORS-protien scissors are called restriction enzymes and each one cuts DNA at a different place.
GLUE-ligase is glue used to paste genes into DNA.
Both the scissors and the glue can be found in bacteria.
A technique of using these tools is gene splicing. The new engineered strand of DNA is called recombinant
DNA, recombinant DNA is the proper name for spliced DNA.

MICROSCOPIC DRUG FACTORIES

Engineers learned how to create bacteria and yeast that could act as one celled drug factories.
The first drug or protien create is human insulin,insulin is a hormone. to make the insulin they engineered
bacteria called e-coli,the bacteria live in the intestine.
To engineer e-coli to make the human protien engineers took a ring shaped piece of DNA that is called plasmid
from the bacterium. The engineers used protien scissors or restriction enzyme to cut the plasmid open.
They then inserted the human protien gene into the e coli plasmid. They then glued the human protien into the
e-coli plasmid using chemical glue or ligase.
Now the engineered plasmid goes back into a single celled e-coli bacterium. E-coli reproduces rapidly by dividing into two cells.
When the cell divides the DNA also divides. Each time the cell divided and reproduced,so did the engineered
plasmid. Identical copies of genes are labeled "clones".
In just hours there will be millions of copies. One method of mass productions of engineered bacteria is to make it in vats of stainless steel
Filtering and purifying bacteria is an option, then comes the harvest.

To cut into genes you can use a virus instead of an enzyme. First you set the desired gene into the virus.
After ensuring the virus is not going to kill the cell and that they are compatible. Insert the new genes into
the virus's genes,the virus in turn inserts its genes into the new genes.
Some engineered protiens grow best in yeast cells. In the 1980's yeast was used to grow the first vaccine
The vaccine was to cure hepatitis-B. They spliced part of the hepatitis-B virus into yeast.
The yeast cell produced a viral protien called an antigen.
An antigen is a protien on an invading germ that the immune system can recognize.
They purified the antigen and started making hepatitis B vaccines.
Some protiens are more complex and will only grow in laboratory dishes,and are only found in mammals.
The drug to treat hemophilia is made from genes spiked into DNA in hamster cells.
Drugs to treat arthritis and an anticancer drug are also made in protiens engineered in hampster cells.
A tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) is a drug that breaks up blood clots it is given to people suffering a heart
attack or stroke, it breaks up the clot that is blocking the flow of blood to the heart or brain.
PLANTS

It's possible to transfer genes from animals,mammals,plants into other plants.
Transfer of genes from another species into a plant makes it called a "transgenic" plant.
A common bacteria to insert into a plant is agro bacterium tumefaciens to carry genes into plant cells.
The genes often come from bacillus thuringiensis,they produce protiens that are poisonus to insects.
Bacterial plasmids are also used to insert genes into plant DNA. First splice a new gene into plant DNA,
splice a new gene into plasmid. Insert plasmid into bacterium

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by informationstorage

(parts of book are missing,dont worry though just a beggining look at doing anything biological)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

This is information on genetics,the origin of the information is written by another. The new interpritation is my own.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Hi, Thanks for contributing to the thread,
Do you mind giving us a link or a reference for the information you posted? I think some poeple could have a little difficulty in distinguishing your exact thoughts from the rest of the text.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Does this mean a cure for Michael J. Fox?

Will there be another Back To the Future?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wilburn

Not yet, wilburn, but it's creeping much closer. I have a feeling that if Michael J fox were cured, he'd be involved in so many projects our heads would spin.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

reply to post by wilburn

Not yet, wilburn, but it's creeping much closer. I have a feeling that if Michael J fox were cured, he'd be involved in so many projects our heads would spin.

ANIMAL MODELS.

learn to read.

not even actual animals.

pie in the sky.

How come mega rich people micheal j fox et al only become interested in disease when it effects them personally.

they don't give a ff when it is somebody else.

look at chris reeves...and others...

they think their fame and fortune makes them magically invincible...

a dozen research studies in the last 2 years have shown these diseases can be stopped,reversed but no one seems to want to know.

they want a magic pill ...

WELL IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

just keep waiting and waiting and waiting until you get the disease...i mean the magic drug is just round the corner waiting for you all.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

reply to post by wilburn

ANIMAL MODELS.

learn to read.

not even actual animals.

pie in the sky.

How come mega rich people micheal j fox et al only become interested in disease when it effects them personally.

a dozen research studies in the last 2 years have shown these diseases can be stopped,reversed but no one seems to want to know.

just keep waiting and waiting and waiting until you get the disease...i mean the magic drug is just round the corner waiting for you all.

Actually a living animal model is an animal used in testing.. So maybe you need to learn to research otherwise you
will be perceived as someone who is less than credible. You also might want to not be so rude toward other
members of this forum. By the way testing facilities use the term animal model to trick people like you into thinking they aren't experimenting on live animals and your reaction in this thread is proof of its effectiveness.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I too have felt very cynical about all of this. Still do. But the way I see it, until now we humans collectively have not been doing things right in our desire for a cure for all these diseases.

Yes I know about the animal model and that they want to get sponsorship for the next phase of their research. I know how Parkinsons's disease alone means billions in revenue ever year for bigPharma companies. The cost of drugs is absolutely prohibitive for the individual. And so far people have been silently at the mercy of those companies whose purpose is keep their profit margins rising while they keep on playing the game of sponsoring research phases that advance by inches only to fall back ten steps, etc. But we have not publicly demanded transparency from these companies or kept their feet to the fire. It's time we moved in that direction, don't you think?

When I dealt with government (in relation to bigPharmas), it was obvious that the various ministers considered that they were dealing with big business and the economy, first and foremost. They based their decisions on that, not on the needs of the population. It was my error not to have realized the degree to which this most important point was to be spun “in favor of the overall good of the country.” Thus the needs of the suffering people and of ailing populace were thrown aside. Politics are therefore important, and education of our politicians is paramount to change.

Until celebrities became spokespeople for organizations, John Q. Public didn't know what these kinds of diseases were all about. Some people now know a little, though not enough for my liking. One celebrity will not mean a whole lot in terms of change overall. However one little step forward may just attract the attention of someone with the right influence and clout to make another small change happen. Change happens in increments. I do know that influence counts and can raise the arena to a national and then an international one.

Maybe you will disagree with me, but that's fine. So I want to change our method of awareness and intervention, even if I sound like I've fallen out of my tree at times. I plan to shout and scream with joy at every small advance “they present” to us. By putting it out there for the public to see they may learn more about those diseases and may just expect more attention to be paid to the situation. Like I said above, what we've been doing so far has not made a difference.

Companies have their developement priorities mapped in their strategic plans and I hope some people will look into them with discernent and maybe offer them some kind of attractive exchange for instance. By moving into the healthy extracts as opposed to the current poisonous concoctions with horrific side effects some of them manufacture, maybe they or someone else will stop the hamster wheel of bigPharma from spinning in its usual way. By exposing the companies' development priorities those with influence and know-how can bring about a different focus.
edit on 8-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clunky
You also might want to not be so rude toward other members of this forum.

I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended. I did not mean to be rude.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clunky

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

reply to post by wilburn

ANIMAL MODELS.

learn to read.

not even actual animals.

pie in the sky.

Actually a living animal model is an animal used in testing.. So maybe you need to learn to research otherwise you
will be perceived as someone who is less than credible. You also might want to not be so rude toward other
members of this forum. By the way testing facilities use the term animal model to trick people like you into thinking they aren't experimenting on live animals and your reaction in this thread is proof of its effectiveness.

clunky you are completely correct i was totally tricked and taken in by these untrustworthy "researchers".

i thought when they said animal model as in a computer animal model or simulation or something similar.

i was taken in.

this just shows these "researchers" cannot be trusted.

if they willing to deceive us in one thing then they would have no qualms in deceiving us about something else.

all the more reason to believe this is nothing more than a gravy train for the next 5 years for these "people".

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

yes i agree.

the brain diseases have been largely addressed already over the last few years with considerable success already and as i said a dozen small studies confirmed it.

you can see my other thread on it.

but none of the solutions are magic patentable 10000% markup profit pills.

even the studies that were done have this line at the bottom.

more research is need to confirm..... (whisper ...what we have just confirmed already)

new topics

top topics

join