It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The chewing gum and helium experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This has to be the craziest thing I have ever seen. Some kids (older kids. French, I think) playing with bubblegum and helium. I don't know whether to believe it or call shenanigans.

link to video

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

It's shenanigans. The amount of force on your neck and jaw holding you dangling like that would be pretty rough... And plus you need lots of helium balloons to lift a human body up.

Interesting fun video but totally fake.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I thought it was pretty neat to watch. It may be fake but the effort that these guys went to for the video is pretty cool. S&F for you for the find.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Cool video, But definitely fake.

Mythbusters did an experiment and concluded that it would take 5000-6000 helium filled balloons to lift an average sized man.

Source

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
its totally fake

if you dont know why, watrch the mysty busters attempt to get off the ground with helion balloons.

Clearly jumping around wiht wires on.

However i bet that a helium bubble might float

EDIT: aww maaaaan pipped again by one post!
edit on 6-3-2012 by Biigs because: sigh

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Clearly fake but fun to watch.
2nd

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
haha thats hilarious

Hilarious but not real though.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Totally totally brilliant.

I cannot even begin to describe how jealous i am of them! That just looks like so much fun to me, to the point i am now making plans for where i can get my own bottle of helium.

Thanks for posting this, another gloomy day brightened up.

ETA:

Boo to all those saying it is fake and bursting my bubble (bad pun, sorry).
edit on 6-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
UPDATE

A little research turned up this:

This quite entertaining video circulates via YouTube and other video sharing websites as well as via email. Ostensibly, the video depicts a group of young men experimenting with chewing gum bubbles filled with helium gas. The footage shows the men floating in the air and even jumping safely off a high bridge, after blowing gum bubbles using helium that they sucked into their mouths. Supposedly, the helium trapped in the gum bubbles is able to quite easily lift the boys off the ground, at least until the bubble bursts.

Not surprisingly however, things are not as they seem. The makers of the video have actually used swings suspended below large booms to carry the boys through the air. With the aid of some clever special effects, the swings and booms have been removed from the footage, thus making it appear that the boys are flying through the air solely with the aid of the helium filled gum bubbles. A subsequent "reveal" video shows just how the stunts were achieved:

The video was created as an advertising related viral test. Viral video advertising is a relatively new and quite effective advertising strategy that has been used by an increasing number of companies. In such advertising campaigns, an entertaining video often depicting an outlandish stunt or event is launched on an unsuspecting Internet public. The companies hope that their videos will "go viral" thereby generating a lot of exposure for their products. In some cases, the video will include logos and other material promoting the company. In other cases, the advertiser is not immediately apparent. In this latter version of the tactic, the advertiser will "own up" to the video only after it has become popular and the object of a great deal of online debate. This strategy ensures that the name of the company or product is eventually discussed on a great many websites, blogs, forums and social networks, thereby providing the company with a great deal of free advertising.

The helium chewing gum video is designed to gain the interest of companies who may wish to try this manner of advertising and is hosted on its own "Viral Test" website. Potential advertisers are invited to test out the concept for free by having their company logo added at various places within the footage and then distributing the "personalised" version of the video "far and wide on the Internet".

www.hoax-slayer.com

The reveal:

top topics

join