It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infamous international hacking group LulzSec (Anonymous) brought down by own leader 3/6/2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Looks like everyone was correct about the hackers working with the government. I wonder what effect this will have on Anon keeping up their work. How big of a part of Anon was LulzSec? And I wonder what kind of deal the leader Sabu made to get on board with the government.

Ratted Out....LulzSec brought down by leader....
edit on 3/6/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

EXCLUSIVE: Law enforcement agents on two continents swooped in on top members of the infamous computer hacking group LulzSec early this morning, and acting largely on evidence gathered by the organization’s brazen leader -- who sources say has been secretly working for the government for months -- arrested three and charged two more with conspiracy.

The offshoot of the loose network of hackers, Anonymous, believed to have caused billions of dollars in damage to governments, international banks and corporations, was allegedly led by a shadowy figure FoxNews.com has identified as Hector Xavier Monsegur. Working under the Internet alias “Sabu,” the unemployed, 28-year-old father of two allegedly commanded a loosely organized, international team of perhaps thousands hackers from his nerve center in a public housing project on New York’s Lower East Side. After the FBI unmasked Monsegur last June, he became a cooperating witness, sources told FoxNews.com.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Looks like this is the group the government is mainly pinning for the outages for the FBI, CIA and others. Depending on how tight they were I wonder how many more will be brought down, or if there even are more outside of LulzSec.

Seems Sabu was picked up a while back and decided to roll on everyone. Guessing he got a pretty sweet deal out of it and is probably working directly for the government now.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Operating from the projects on the Lower East Side? Sounds fishy to me. There's no secrets in the projects. Especially that big. There's more to this story.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Looks like everyone was correct about the hackers working with the government. I wonder what effect this will have on Anon keeping up their work. .....
Sadly, it will probably not have as big of an effect as it should, especially on those who seem to somewhat idolize them.

Instead of thinking that there may just be more government agents or snitches working within these groups, it seems that you are more concerned with how they will be hurt by this one whose mask has now been pulled off, when in fact you should be even more cautious about the entire idea of bowing down to invisible interweb superheros.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Looks like everyone was correct about the hackers working with the government. I wonder what effect this will have on Anon keeping up their work. .....
Sadly, it will probably not have as big of an effect as it should, especially on those who seem to somewhat idolize them.

Instead of thinking that there may just be more government agents or snitches working within these groups, it seems that you are more concerned with how they will be hurt by this one whose mask has now been pulled off, when in fact you should be even more cautious about the entire idea of bowing down to invisible interweb superheros.

Not really concerned about the individual, just that it would appear that what a lot of people have been saying is correct. If he has been working with them for this long then what agenda has the government forced him to be a part of? Many have said that they think Anonymous is part of a false flag operation....this would suggest some possible truth to that. While there isn't much I can do about hackers personally, I am more than happy to watch them get some attention to get voices heard that typically would not. What they have done is nothing that would bring the world to their knees, but more brought attention to topics that would probably otherwise go unnoticed.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm one of the "jack-booted thugs", a cop, that everyone on the internet loves to hate. I do not condone police brutality just as I don't condone internet brutality. Hacking and destroying others properties is wrong and should be punished not commended.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What makes anyone think he was rolled?

I think the whole thing was a set up from the get-go.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is surprising for the fact that I didn't think they had a leader.
I don't see this affecting them though. Anon is now organic and is growing on its own. I'm sure there are many smaller groups out there by now that the truly honest factions that do want to see corrupt entities pay, will continue on with their work and be more careful.

Anyways, what if this is a bait story/smear campaign just to make people believe that Anon has been corrupt from the very beginning? Which may or may not be true. I wouldn't put it past FBI/CIA to cook up something in order to make people think they are one step ahead of Anon now that they've made a "major arrest". More ruling by fear and simply trying to shake up the real activists into going deeper or ceasing their activities.

But, that's just my two cents....

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
I'm one of the "jack-booted thugs", a cop, that everyone on the internet loves to hate. I do not condone police brutality just as I don't condone internet brutality. Hacking and destroying others properties is wrong and should be punished not commended.

Completely agree, but without those that do these types of things I think certain stories and issues would never raise the kind of interest they have.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
This is surprising for the fact that I didn't think they had a leader.
I don't see this affecting them though. Anon is now organic and is growing on its own. I'm sure there are many smaller groups out there by now that the truly honest factions that do want to see corrupt entities pay, will continue on with their work and be more careful.

Anyways, what if this is a bait story/smear campaign just to make people believe that Anon has been corrupt from the very beginning? Which may or may not be true. I wouldn't put it past FBI/CIA to cook up something in order to make people think they are one step ahead of Anon now that they've made a "major arrest". More ruling by fear and simply trying to shake up the real activists into going deeper or ceasing their activities.

But, that's just my two cents....

This is more the way I am leaning at this point. I don't know how organic Anon can be, especially if they had a leader at some point. I mean someone had to update the pages and send out the orders. If this was the leader or they did cut the head off the snake then this could be even worse as it would have all the hackers gunning for everything they can just to fight back with a statement instead of having somewhat organized chaos.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Ever been in the projects? People mind their own business, and definitely don't go talking about people. It is likely though that no one had any idea, I doubt this guy was mingling much or even leaving his apartment.

I think it's ironic and funny that such massive damage and high profile crime/organization was sparked in a housing project. Almost seems poetic.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
What makes anyone think he was rolled?

I think the whole thing was a set up from the get-go.

Just stating what the news story posted. I would guess that it would be pretty easy for the government to get someone to roll though. Either way he is most assuredly working for them now and will most likely not get any jail time or be working for them from a special jail.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just a quick question:
If they were part of some government dept, and they used their position to hack and make trouble etc, and we then had to deal with it, what would we do to combat?
Kinda like, if there were no computer viruses, what internet companies would go out of business first? And how would we respond?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
So the "trolls" as anon fanbois call them have been right all along

@Fakegregg, jester etc

th3j35t3r.wordpress.com...
twitter.com...#!/fakegregghoush
xryujin.wordpress.com...

edit on 6-3-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

especially if they had a leader at some point.

I don't believe there was or ever has been a true "appointed" leader since Anon began.
I picture Anon starting this way:
3-5 guys/gals attending MIT. They are sitting around BSing one day when one says, "Hey, how about this!"
So, these guys/gals think it's a great idea and decide to give it a go ahead. They each working off of each other's strengths. One's good at hacking, another's good at writing speeches, another's skilled at making videos. So on and so forth.

So, already a collective with no true leader, they're able to introduce people to the Internet's form of protest. People catch on and decide, "Hey, I can do this and be anonymous!" Some are more gifted than others about concealing their identities while online. The ones that aren't, well, we'll see those arrests. It's going to happen.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Operating from the projects on the Lower East Side? Sounds fishy to me. There's no secrets in the projects. Especially that big. There's more to this story.

Gotta be more to it. The thing is, we never know how much or what part of the truth, if any, we're being told--especially by government 3-letters....

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

especially if they had a leader at some point.

I don't believe there was or ever has been a true "appointed" leader since Anon began.
I picture Anon starting this way:
3-5 guys/gals attending MIT. They are sitting around BSing one day when one says, "Hey, how about this!"
So, these guys/gals think it's a great idea and decide to give it a go ahead. They each working off of each other's strengths. One's good at hacking, another's good at writing speeches, another's skilled at making videos. So on and so forth.

So, already a collective with no true leader, they're able to introduce people to the Internet's form of protest. People catch on and decide, "Hey, I can do this and be anonymous!" Some are more gifted than others about concealing their identities while online. The ones that aren't, well, we'll see those arrests. It's going to happen.

It very well could have originally started as a "movement" on the net to bring all hackers together to bring what they thought would be some issues to more eyes. I am eagerly awaiting more on this story and to see what Anonymous has to say about it, if anything.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I grew up in the Marlboro projects in Coney Island. No one tells the cops anything but EVERYONE knows whats going on for sure!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Well, many many people on ATS and elsewhere said it was a honeypot, turns out they were right. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. It was stupid to even imagine a merry band of do-gooder hackers as working with anyone else is a serious liability because they could always flip you if they get caught.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Interesting...

Although this does not add up.

en.wikipedia.org...

TOPIARY has been in custody since 2011....

Methinks this is disinfo, just trying to discredit ANON by associating them with government agents.

Nice try..

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join