It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After this election, I will no longer vote.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

AHA!

Never said electoral college was bad, I said that it causes my vote to be worthless in terms of picking a president.

And yes we be on the same page, and note when I say I don't vote. I do not vote in presidential elections

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
reply to post by METACOMET

AHA!

Never said electoral college was bad, I said that it causes my vote to be worthless in terms of picking a president.

And yes we be on the same page, and note when I say I don't vote. I do not vote in presidential elections

But your vote does count. The electoral college casts it's votes based on the popular vote. Whoever wins the popular vote in a given state, gets that states electoral votes. Based on this fact, your vote isn't worthless. It might go to the losing side, but not worthless. It's not like the electoral college will award it's votes to the loser of the popular vote in that state.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I thought the same thing when I turned 18 in 99.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hey OP

What election or race or instance in particular made you come to the conclusion not to vote any longer? What was the watershed moment? That question goes out to all readers as well. I hope to get some discussion going on this aspect as I find it really interesting and a step towards understanding the problem in order to fix it.

This is one of those catch 22 instances for me. Plato said

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors

And he's right.

However, I, Like so many others, have seen enough evidence of voter fraud to know it's a rigged game at this point.

So what the hell. I guess it's pretty smart at this point not to vote, not to participate in a system which you condemn. BUT at the same time I don't think that is solving any problems.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Hey, the way it's looking, this may be your last chance to vote anyway.
Let's hope not. Then again what good is voting if it is all rigged?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Hey OP

What election or race or instance in particular made you come to the conclusion not to vote any longer? What was the watershed moment? That question goes out to all readers as well. I hope to get some discussion going on this aspect as I find it really interesting and a step towards understanding the problem in order to fix it.

Fair question. Let me further refine my OP by stating that my reservation to vote will be limited to POTUS. I still believe in local government and will participate in that.

I jumped on the Ron Paul bandwagon back in 2007. Now, this thread is NOT going to be a for/against RP thread. Let's just say, I noticed for the first time the blatant manipulation by the media and others against this candidate and, frankly, I was shocked, saddened and angered. Maybe I always thought that this went on, but seeing it happen in front of my eyes gave me a different perspective.

And to see it even more clearly this time around makes me realize just how far we've fallen. Before any of you start saying that I'm a sore loser, that's not it. Win or lose, would be fine with me as long as all candidates get a fair shake. And RP has not, in my opinion. Same could be said for Huntsman or Johnson.

I understand why RP is running as a Republican and, quite frankly, don't believe he would if he thought a 3rd party candidate would be treated fairly. Perot was somewhat successful, but he had the $$$ to fund his campaign.

Fact it, I've seen how everyone (media, corporations, bloated politicians) say how they want change, but then their actions speak in stark contrast to this. They clamor to get my vote to "change" things, when they really have no intent on doing such.

They claim that if you vote for me, you'll get smaller government. Nope, you won't. You'll get fairer taxes. Nope, you won't. You'll get better government programs. Nope, you won't. You'll get better national security. Nope, you won't.

And on and on and on. I'm tired of merry-go-round politics. I'm getting off the ride and going home.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
But your vote does count. The electoral college casts it's votes based on the popular vote.

Tell that to Nixon (vs Kennedy)

Tell that to Gore (vs Bush)

I am sure there are more instances, but I do not have the gumption to hunt them down. The electoral casts its vote depending on what the people paying them tell them to vote for.

In this case, corps. are citizens and are paying the college. Far more than any of us could hope to give.

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
Whoever wins the popular vote in a given state, gets that states electoral votes. Based on this fact, your vote isn't worthless. It might go to the losing side, but not worthless. It's not like the electoral college will award it's votes to the loser of the popular vote in that state.

IF the voting system was working as it was intended, yes. But it is not, money is what votes. And us Americans don't have anywhere near the amount of money the good Americans have (corporations).

Your vote does NOT matter in the POTUS elections. I would dare say it doesn't matter in the others as well, but I have no evidence to back that claim.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

If the popular vote is what tells the electoral college how to vote, then why not cut out the middle man and just have the popular vote?

I know why, true democracy sucks ass. 51% of the people deciding what 100% should do is not the best solution.

Of course, this system doesn't seem to be much better...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

I agree, You know whats more irritating? when people say "yer didn't vote so yer dont have the right to complain" The way I see it, Actually when you vote one these muppets into office and they screw up(like they always do) you dont really have the right to complain, since you approved these guys and voted them in the first place. But then again if you are like me and dont vote at all, now that gives you a good reason to complain dont it?

edit on 6-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join