It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After this election, I will no longer vote.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
That's right, the title says it all. My vote for POTUS, which will be Ron Paul even if I have to write his name on the ballot with a sharpie, will be my last.

As a result of this website opening my eyes to the garbage that is our "election" process and how the machine called politics can dictate whom we are supposed to vote for, I can no longer stomach the thought of participating in such kindergarten antics.

I could write a thousand words on how corrupt the whole process is, but I think we all understand it. Even our friends across the pond see it for what it is.....a very expensive dog and pony show.

I would like to think my 'vote' made a difference, but it doesn't. It hasn't and it won't unless the American public violently overturns this corrupt government. Of course, I'm not advocating violence, just stating that only the nameplates on the door will change, but the essence of what is Washington will not change...unless overthrown and reconstructed.

I feel horrible for what my life will become because of the increasing tyrannical power grab by those in elitist positions. I feel for my grandchildren who will not know what life without constant government intrusion is like.

I'm a slave to government, whether I want to admit it or not.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You are a slave to no one - else you choose to be.

So long as there is a fighting breath within your chest, you will always be free.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I won't be voting this time around. Obama? Hell no. Romney? Not much different than Obama. The others? Not qualified. Write in Ron Paul? If he was at least 10 years younger. Bush43, Obama, Romney ... they all morph together ... not enough difference to tell them apart.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

We Americans know we don't pick the president right?

We Americans know what the electoral college is right?

(You would be amused to see how many people think that the president is picked by the popular vote)

If you want to pick the president, you have to pay the electoral college money. You know, like the corporations do!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

When you agree to have another person make decisions on your behalf that you must comply with by participating in elections, that is exactly what you become. A slave.

Don't give your power away to these people.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Then the Enemy has won.

By getting people to stop voting and being involved....

They tighten the grip of tyranny around us all.

Buck up. Pick yourself and attitude up and Fight On.

No time to be quitting!!!!

"GUNS UP!"
edit on 3/6/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Every four years, on the Tuesday following the first Monday of November, millions of U.S. citizens go to local voting booths to elect, among other officials, the next president and vice president of their country. Their votes will be recorded and counted, and winners will be declared.

But the results of the popular vote are not guaranteed to stand because the Electoral College has not cast its vote.

For some of you, this might be a bit shocking. You could be thinking, "Whoa, seriously?" But for many of you, you're probably immediately thinking of the 2000 U.S. presidential election -- Gore won the popular vote (more Americans voted for him), but Bush actually won the presidency, because he was awarded the majority of the votes in the Electoral College.

In this article, we'll explain how this interesting system works. How is it that a candidate could win more votes overall and yet not be elected? What would happen if there were a tie in the Electoral College? Who then would elect the president?

How Stuff Works

Like I said, voting is nice and all but it makes no difference. Unless you are a college member of course!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I won't be voting this time around. Obama? Hell no. Romney? Not much different than Obama. The others? Not qualified. Write in Ron Paul? If he was at least 10 years younger. Bush43, Obama, Romney ... they all morph together ... not enough difference to tell them apart.

his age comes to mind for some, but most aren't aware his mother and father both lived to be in their mid 90s.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

When you agree to have another person make decisions on your behalf that you must comply with by participating in elections, that is exactly what you become. A slave.

i would normally agree with you, but the farce we have for corporate government, well lets just say that cow has long been out of the barn.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

It's not that I agree to do this, but it is a fact that it happens despite my protests. Voting machines can be rigged, dead people can mysteriously vote but, in the end, the newscasters will only report the numbers from the electoral college on their huge CG map on each major media network.

The popular vote is just a feel good number to give validation to the money spent on those electoral college votes. What the popular vote proves is that these corporations were effective in brainwashing the masses into doing their bidding.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the way I see it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

the outward appearance is paramount...being on record as voting may be the ticket one needs to receive added rations of food or energy in the not too distant future.

i too see the election cycle process as a game of 'whack-a-mole',
if the law would have been changed for the 18 YO vote, i would have voted in '68
instead of continually voting the loser ever since '72

but, to keep appearances, to be listed as a Conscientious voter,
i vote every 4 years and intermittently for State elections (only when a Senators head is on the block)

because i just knew that massive records keeping would one day become a driving force in sustainable living under the thumb of government (thanks for google, facebook, et al)

RE:
Conscientiousness is the trait of being painstaking and careful, or the quality of acting according to the dictates of one's conscience.
edit on 6-3-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

That's what the popular vote USED to be for.

Now it is used to hide the fact that we don't pick the president. We hide under names like "Democracy" when we are nothing of the sort.

Democratic Republic, and that is iffy now-a-days. I mean we can still be called that, but our actions seem a little harsher (to me).

We want a change, we need to pick the electoral college. But thanks to Mr. Lincoln, while emancipating the slaves he made us all slaves. (I think he knew this of course.) Original 14th ammendment

Anyway! I have not voted in years, and I will not vote. How do you think they get you for jury duty!? If they don't have to be American, neither do I in regards to my "duty as an American citizen"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Then the Enemy has won.

By getting people to stop voting and being involved....

They tighten the grip of tyranny around us all.

Buck up. Pick yourself and attitude up and Fight On.

No time to be quitting!!!!

"GUNS UP!"
edit on 3/6/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

I'm not picking a fight, so don't take it this way.

My vote DOES NOT MATTER ONE BIT.

Fight on for WHAT? Maybe I should don a cape and mask and fight crime too!

GUNS UP? It's suicidal for ONE person to do this. It would take an ENTIRE NATION of like-minded citizens to undo the damage that has been done.

The TWO PARTY system does not work. It has been bought and paid for. The funny thing is, both sides are owned by the SAME PEOPLE.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
...The funny thing is, both sides are owned by the SAME PEOPLE.

BLASPHEMY!!

Divide and conquer, do you not know the rules?

And those "SAME PEOPLE" have already decided whom they want. So why would I vote, it is already been chosen.

And, no matter who gets presidency, they are the same person. (Including the sacred Ron Paul, sorry guys.)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Um no, we never used a popular vote system. We use an electoral college as per article 2 of the constitution of the REPUBLIC. The US is a representative Republic, not a democracy. I'm sure you know this. This is elementary school stuff.

Due to the fact that some states are more populous than others, we use an electoral college system so STATES are represented. Otherwise candidates would only need to make promises and campaign in California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey and win 51% of the popular vote in nine states to win. With an electoral system each state is represented and has access to the election process which they would otherwise be ignored from.

Do you think presidents would give a crap about Iowa or New Hampshire or smaller states if we didn't have an electoral college? No. They would campaign in the 4 most populous states leaving the rest of the states unrepresented. The states formed the compact of the Constitution and this was one of the stipulations for obvious reasons which seem to be lost on so many people who don't take the time to understand such things.

If you and so many others want it changed then vote to amend the constitution. But that would involve voting.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

You misunderstood what I was saying:

The popular vote USED to be used as a feel good number.

Now it is used to confuse the general public into thinking they pick their president(s). Other countries use this same scam.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I have never seen presidential election coverage where they mislead people into thinking that there is no electoral college and that the popular vote wins the presidency. Would you care to show an example?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Due to the fact that some states are more populous than others, we use an electoral college system so STATES are represented. Otherwise candidates would only need to make promises and campaign in California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey and win 51% of the popular vote in nine states to win. With an electoral system each state is represented and has access to the election process which they would otherwise be ignored from.

Nay, the corporations are more involved in picking the representatives than the states are. Or are you saying that we the populace have been represented by our electorates? Do I need to point out Gore vs Bush? Nixon vs Kennedy?

I am sure there are others as well. All it takes is a little reasearch, and an ability to see the big picture. Start with the original 14th amendment, then dig into FDR some. (Him and Mr. Aldrich were paramount in establishing the corporate stranglehold that is America today.)

If you want to pick the president, you have to be able to pick the electoral college. Can only do that if you are a citizen of the US...and guess what are citizens? Corporations! Not only are they citizens, but they are "uber citizens". Just check out the rights they have over use regulars...

Do you think presidents would give a crap about Iowa or New Hampshire or smaller states if we didn't have an electoral college? No. They would campaign in the 4 most populous states leaving the rest of the states unrepresented. The states formed the compact of the Constitution and this was one of the stipulations for obvious reasons which seem to be lost on so many people who don't take the time to understand such things.

Do you think they give a crap about them now? Sure your agrument would work if this was a perfect world, but it is not and that is not how it works at all.

I wish it did work that way, but our constitution needs an enema first. After that, we can go after the leaders. AFTER that we can do things the old way. Of course, only a matter of time before we are right back here.

If you and so many others want it changed then vote to amend the constitution. But that would involve voting.

Yes, yes, I see what you did there.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Unfortunatly my only example would be for you to search.

Look at the commonplace opinion on who picks the president.

Oper thought it was his vote that mattered
Want me to dig up some more threads, or are you going to stop this train? You know damn well what I am talking about, unless you live under a rock...

But I will provide examples, if asked again. Though the fact that you want them seems suspicious to me, considering it is not hard to see for oneself. Hell, the biggest attack from non-Americans is "You picked your president"

And the biggest argument in Democrats vs Republicans is "I didn't vote for him."

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

In Gore vs Bush the supreme court suspended the vote count and awarded Bush the presidency. Ridiculous, but Gore accepted the outcome. I'm no fan of Bush or Gore but we the people should not have accepted that outcome, we should have demanded that votes be counted.

I'm not sure where you are going with corporation and the electoral college. Corporations have equal 14th amendment rights because congress and the executive wrote and passed U.S. Code Title 1, Chapter 1, Subsection 1 which defines a "persons" as "corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals".

Amendment XIV to the United States Constitution: Section 1. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Also ridiculous, but even more so since people blame the supreme court for correctly ruling that they would not limit rights given by the other 2 equal branches.

I think we are mostly on the same page and I don't mean to come off as angrily argumentative. I'm just defending the electoral college because I think it is a better system in every way to a pure popular vote. If Americans want to change it by amending the constitution I will not support the effort but I would support the outcome...even if it is a totally misguided idea.
edit on 6-3-2012 by METACOMET because: sp

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join