It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I would be more concerned if an employer requested my username here on ATS. "You believe in little green men", "the president is a fraud" ??....."Thanks for interviewing, we'll be in touch".

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just close your account, you dont need it, people managed well enough before facebook.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If a strange man in a suit walked up to you and said, give me a list of your friends and family and photos of them, tell me what you believe, what your political thoughts are. Let me see home movies of your yard and your children, show me shots of your home’s interior and yard, show me where you go, tell me your likes and habits, what would you say, NO? You give that information away every day you use Facebook, Google, Twitter, or carry a cell-phone. No need to uncover conspiracy, we give "them" all they need..
edit on 7-3-2012 by MissingRonnieR because: space ants

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Or just don't use it in the first place and then there's no need for a fake account, or to take legal action. Part of the problem is people's mentality that they HAVE to use Facebook and CAN'T live without it.
Facebook is a personal information gathering tool, yet people complain when their personal information is gathered by an agency, institution or a 3rd party..................oh the irony !

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Oh I see. If I don't use Facebook I don't match the personality type you are looking for anyways. Might as well not even apply. Want a job? Post some stupid crap online for me to read first.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It won't stop until the #1 draft pic says that he would rather not play professional sports than hand over his freedom.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

It won't stop until the #1 draft pic says that he would rather not play professional sports than hand over his freedom.

How true. But it won't happen, will it?

Most people give up their freedoms for the promise of food, shelter and "safety." ...It's an old story, an ancient trap.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
give me a minute to stop laughing....

nope... need another one...

Every prohibition creates its bootleggers...

nope cant stop laughing,,,

heres the deal if the job or the college wants to know my social status good for them...

Ill feed them the longest line of crapola....

how I love this... like this...

this person is Doing great...

lol...

defend the boss a little.... exctra...

you need to think... the price for not thinking is failure....

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Simple fix, create a dummy FB page with your name and post only awesome stuff on it. Don't let anyone but your mom write on your wall (since she always has nice things to say). Then create another account for your friends. Give up your public info and call it a day. It is stupid to think that you can demand someone's FB info and that they will give you the real goods. I am sure the first couple applicants got caught with this but the rest will figure it out and create fake pages, if they haven't already.

FB is the new myspace. It will be full of junk.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Why would people be asked for their password? That would be like asking for a key to your car or the pin code to your bank card. Your employer or the application asking for the passoword isn't even confidential. Look at how many people see your SSN on employment, rental and credit apps. The only reason one would need the facebook password is to GO INTO YOUR ACCOUNT and post on your wall, send and receive private messages, add or delete photos, maintain the account and make profile changes. The whole thing is illegal but there is absolutely NO REASON for them to have your password.

What if your manager or a coworker ends up not liking you and signs into your facebook account and posts some bad sh#t? Talk about being set up.

Everyone should have an alias FB/Twitter account. Unfortunately, you can't hide your "real" account. So having two accounts is self defeating unless you use your alias account with your contacts and friends, and do nothing with your "real" account, which then, why have it? I deleted my FB account many months ago as soon as I heard what was coming down the line. I rarely used it but I did enjoy looking at friends and family photos and comments occassionally. In fact, I just searched for "me" while logged in as my alias and "I" am not there at all, which relieves me greatly. So now, I will use my alias account to add who I want as a friend......maybe. So far I have done nothing with account. The same with email accounts, have alias accounts.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

reply to post by Gridrebel

It's definitely illegal for anyone to demand your password - and it's a legal "breach of contract" for you to give it to them - but the laws regarding coaches or others demanding to be "friended" are bit more fuzzy.

The real issue here is that many people tend to be complete idiots on the internet, and seem to believe their indiscretions are somehow "private." ...Then, when their idiocy comes to light, their employers and other affiliations pay the price too, in loss of reputation, business etc. Profit rules - so the Big Boyz probably will find a legal way to get away with these breaches of privacy.

...."Conspiracy buffs and theorists" are monitored in completely different ways - all of us are not hackers, but those who are know enough to either protect their privacy, or go very public with their info and theories. It's a completely different ballgame.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And so it begins...

The suit was launched Tuesday by the girl's mother who was aided by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The girl, known only as R.S., was required to reveal the passwords to her Facebook and email accounts to her school principal.

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

Apparently one girl has already been targeted, and the ACLU has actually decided to get off their sit-down bone and get involved. I for one will be watching this case.

If an employer asks a potential employee about their religion, their political views, their marital status, their parental status, or anything along those lines, they are in violation of US Labor regulations. How they think it is OK to demand all that and more in such a blatantly transparent attempt to do an end run around labor laws is beyond me...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Apparently one girl has already been targeted, and the ACLU has actually decided to get off their sit-down bone and get involved. I for one will be watching this case.

EXCELLENT find. Yeah! The win on this case should be cut and dried. If it's not, be very very afraid.

If an employer asks a potential employee about their religion, their political views, their marital status, their parental status, or anything along those lines, they are in violation of US Labor regulations. How they think it is OK to demand all that and more in such a blatantly transparent attempt to do an end run around labor laws is beyond me...

Time for everyone to take a stand, methinks. Else what's freedom?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join