It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet Has Come To A Crawl.......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I've been reading other forums all night, people across the globe are reporting increasingly sluggish speeds. I thought this was supposed to occur between the 7th & 8th?
I live in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, My download speeds are hitting a max of 34kb/per sec.
Facebook is no longer graphically functioning on my end, I have Comcast Cable Internet.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Sorry to link to another forum, be here is what others are reporting.

[removed link]

edit on Tue Mar 6 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAttomic

what forums are you getting this from?
my net speed seems to be just fine, no hiccups or slowdowns here(yet)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have comcast as well just outside Philly,
mine is working like a charm.

go over to speedtest.net, get an actual download and ping speed.

And try to call comcast/xfinity/thedevil see if maybe its a problem on their end, afterall i'm sure you are paying for a certain package which is supposed to provide you the speed.

edit...and a link to glp? methinks that might be your problem

Their collective ignorance is slowing you down.
edit on 6-3-2012 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If you search for slow internet, etc. you are bound to come across a forum that is talking about such.

I am a network technician - and the internet is "A-OK," lol.

Your network/internet speed is determined by the infrastructure you have in place, and the amount of strain on said infrastructure - the more people connecting, the slower it will get.

Set your alarm for 2 in the morning, and connect to the internet - I bet it will be zipping like a bee then.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I am on two different HSDPA networks @ 21mbps and both of have been sluggish the last week. I using my ADSL 1mbps line now for consistency. Even though its slow it does not time out, thus far.

Internet has been sluggish for at least the last week + by me.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yesterday, here, at the community college I work at, the speeds and timeouts were very annoying.

Now, according to our IT, there were no issues internally, so, the issue must be with the infrastructure "out there".
In my opinion, either there was an earthquake that cut some cables, there were some DNS servers taken down, or fiddled with, or perhaps that CME from the sun caused geomagnetic interference that "may" have caused a bunch of servers to go down or reboot. Also, I remember a story of some sort that was in reference to the Gov upgrading or doing something to the DNS servers, perhaps that could have caused the slowdown.
Anyone else have any theories?
Today (3-6-2012 about 8am Central) the net "seems" to be fine. We shall see what the day holds.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Melbourne, Australia, "BigPond" supplier. No discernible internet flow restrictions 1:05 am.
All day the internet connection (and with various suppliers) has been okay so far today for me.
Might be a localized problem.
Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I tend to think the site you linked to is the stereotypical panic forum. Everything i've read on there is crazy and mad lol (at least, on a serious note, most of the posters exaggerate every media headline into something of a theater event).

Anyway, "7th & 8th" are you referring to the shutting down of dns servers the fbi setup, to mitigate dns poisioning malware which affected windows computers? (can't remember the name of it). But nothing will happen to your internet on this date unless your computer is already infected it.

These dns server's that were setup are supposedly being used to redirect domain name lookups from these infected windows computer to the actual "real" addresses instead of the spoofed ones used by the malware. I might be slightly off, but can't remember the name of the actual malware so i'm having a bit of trouble finding an article about it.

If you can connect to the internet on 7/8th march but find it impossible to resolve a domain name then it means your computer has been infected with malware for a while.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
For starters, go to this site:

Internet Traffic Report

This will tell you the state of the flow of internet traffic around the world. There is not a problem with the internet.

I suggest trying some basic troubleshooting, doing a few pings to various locations (for starters, your lan router ip address.) You should get response times that are less than 1 ms.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by snrRog

Oh yeah, I did all of that yesterday, no issues internally. Could hit my gateway and any internal site no problem. I could even hit google and yahoo lightening fast. When came to any other site, time outs, packet drops, no connection. But that was yesterday, and today the net seems fine, so we will see if the same issues occur. I kinda wanted the net to shut down, maybe I could have been sent home early.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm starting to get those packet drops again. Slow connections, and the Internet Traffic Site for N. America is showing that TX is slow as heck.

Anyone else confirm this? Or not, as you would most likely not be able to connect unless you were really persistent. (As is my case here in East Texas)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
From personal experience supporting PC's for 14 years, I saw it in the 2000 solar maximum, and I saw issues like this start up last month. With the amount of internet infrastructure growth from 2000 to current, we may see more internet connection issues that come and go with the suns cycle. Most of the time its some ISP routers rebooting/crashing. Fixed on its own, or via power cycle.

With that....

This is the idea I'm getting at, but I'm not sure what data to look at on the SOHO website.
spears.lancs.ac.uk...

Wait until next year (or in the next few days, sunspot 1429 is mad), and we will see if we see this more and more.

Last month when the sun was talkative, I saw the same network problems around work/home. The only report that made it to MSM was Comcast's DNS server being knocked off line, preventing access to .gov websites.

I have scoured the net for more detailed info/reports, but... nothing.

edit on 3/6/12 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

yeahhhh 50 mpbs here
5 mbps up

some files are actually downloading faster than noramal 6 mb/s.

maybe you are still on dial up? jk jk

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The internet is full.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Never heard this before but yeah, come to think of it, it's been sluggish since sunday night for me too and I'm in the UK.

Did originally put it down to me not being on the computer for a few days but just watching videos of The Rock on youtube, the image freezes every few seconds while the audio plays and it's annoying me.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubAttomic
I live in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, My download speeds are hitting a max of 34kb/per sec.

Just checked mine with www.speedtest.net...

getting 17.67 Mb/ps download Upload only at 2.05 Mbps

yeah a little slower than normal but it fluctuates... really stormy outside today and the power is flickering

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubAttomic
I've been reading other forums all night, people across the globe are reporting increasingly sluggish speeds. I thought this was supposed to occur between the 7th & 8th?
Facebook is no longer graphically functioning on my end, I have Comcast Cable Internet.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Sorry to link to another forum, be here is what others are reporting.

Internet Speed

Mines faster than it's ever been.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I LIVE IN SCOTLAND THINGS HAVE BEEN SLOW FOR 4-5 DAYS NOW DONE ALL CLEANING ETC . DOWN LOAD SPEED HERE IS A MIND BOGGLING 6.4 MP/S UPLOAD 0.5 MPS THATS THE BEST YOU GET UP HERE THIRD WORLD COUNTRYS HAVE BETTER INTERNET THAN THIS . I HAVE A 3 /DONGLE PLUG IN EVEN THAT IS AFFECTED TRYED TO DOWNLOAD A 1,4 MEG BOOK YESTERDAY TOOK 4 MIN ON BROADBAND COMES & GOES SO ITS NOT JUST ME ON BT NETWORK /UK

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Have absolutely no download speed now, 1-2k tops. I've swapped out network cards, tried a different modem, etc. My speed tests are showing that everything is fine, but my internet is being routed through a town that is a pretty significant distance from me. Download/upload is virtually non-existent, still have trouble with quite a few websites. I'm not trying to incite panic, I'm simply stating that there are known issues right now with the internet, Comcast isn't giving me any answers, and from what I'm reading the issue is not contained to a small area.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
From a standard browsing standpoint, everything is working just somewhat fine, it's the download/upload rates which concern me, and the effects it is having/going to have on infrastructure. Our entire system relies on the internet and it's speeds, think about sending a 100gig purchase or shipping order right now, we're looking at quite possibly days in order to complete these transfers, it would be faster to send the paperwork via mail at this point. Think about the trucks, the very things which we rely on for life as we know it, the trucks slow or stop, the country slows or stops. Global shipping will be coming to a crawl, from ups to large shipping barges, etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join