It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruining Education and our Country!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I'm so mad right now I could scream.

I've taught elementary school for more than ten years. My husband teaches middle school, and has more than twelve years experience.

Our county just adopted a new policiy. NO STUDENT IS ALLOWED TO FAIL A CLASS. Can you believe this?

That's right. Any child who doesn't turn in assignments, doesn't do the work, basically vegges out in class....they get a 70. Automatic pass. At the end of the year, these students aren't held back but sent on to the next grade level.

I understand the reasoning behind social promotion, but its ruining our education system. Think of it this way. Little Johnny is behind in first grade, but gets promoted anyway. Now he's behind in second grade, and falling even further behind. By the time he gets to fifth grade, Johnny might be reading on a second grade level, might be working on a third grade level in math. And guess what. If Johnny isn't performing on grade level by the end of the year, ITS THE TEACHERS' FAULT. Even thought Johnny came to a class years behind, he's expected to be on grade level in all areas by the end of the year.

What happens if he isn't on grade level? Well, since he can't fail, he gets "placed" in the next grade. And the whole ugly cycle starts again.

This is madness, folks. We've stopped holding kids accountable for their actions. How in the heck is this going to help our society?

I fear for our future. I really, really, do.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
That's a joke, right? Please say so!

Teachers fault? Outrageous! You (not you yourself, of course) should be very, very much ashamed of the responsible government! Is that state or national law?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Nail on the head

I've always found it to be ass-backwards that people want to automatically shuffle kids through elementary school even if they were falling behind, aren't the lessons we learn there quite important? Like the basic foundations of how to read & write?!?
Almost all areas of society, whether it be educational, job-related, or everyday activities, seem to have "dumbed down" in their standards, or the way they present themselves. Easier curriculum, big flashy two-syllable words slapped everywhere as to not throw people off.... Why has society felt the need to dumb things down? To make sure the masses can keep up? Making sure the utterly unintelligent have their needs met?

Something called "Natural Selection" comes to mind...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

As an ex teacher myself, i always applaud those who highlight the madness we are supposed to implement in schools. Whilst not that bad, things are not so dissimilar over here in the UK.

The analogy you were using gets even scarier when little Johnny is suddenly an adult and exposed to the big bad world where he is suddenly responsible for his actions and accountable for the first time in his life (and has no skills to deal with this).

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No "certificate" is better than a useless "certificate".

By certificate i mean diploma, grade, result (whatever you may name it).
I've known people to get A's in mathematics when i was back in school and they didn't even know what trigonometry was let alone basic algebra. I admit i suck at math's and got a C in my test results/grades but essentially have more knowledge in certain areas than a few people i knew a few years back.

Failure is merit, in my honest opinion. It's all about learning from mistakes... for example getting an F might be devastating at first sight, though it actually gives you a boost in thinking "i want to do better".

Where is the encouragement going to be if people are getting "pass" for purposely flunking a test? There would be no point of having an education if you can pass everything without researching, studying, or at least TRYING!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Our society (here in the US) has become such an ENTITLED society.

I've had parents come in for conferences, wanting to know why their child had a low grade on the grade card.

I would explain, show the lack of turned in assignments, lack of effort, etc.

The parents then get mad at me if their child doesn't make progress. It infuriates me. A child doesn't complete the homework, do the assignments, follow through with projects, and the parents don't understand why the child has a poor grade? Really?

Imagine you were sick, went to a doctor, and the doctor gave you medicine. But instead of taking the medicine you ignored his advice and went about your merry way.

Is it the doc's fault when your illness gets worse and you die? Of course not. He gave you advice, told you what to do to fix it. It's your fault you didn't follow through.

Same with education, folks. You get out what you put in.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I feel your pain. On the other hand, lets don't distribute the blame on one side of the problem, anyway.

There ARE bad teachers, or teachers who personally dislike a student (don't tell otherwise, I am sure anybody on this forum just like myself experienced something like that on his/her own.. *sigh).

Of course, the parents' job is to raise their children. If they fail, the kid might fail, unless being raised/taught by another person. But there are several core issues which are integral to the parents duties, as "Do your homework, or else!" ("or else" appended only if needed..). If the parents fail at those, the kids have no chance to learn them otherwise, because even if the teacher give them bad marks, the parents might ignore them or blame the teacher, as you experienced.

There are some solutions, as always in social problems: Telling the parents that they failed = problems with your superior. Giving the kids bad marks as consequences for bad work = parents will yell at you. Ignoring the parents and kids problems = parents will yell at you.

I would say: Stiff upper lip and give them hell! They failed! Can you prove it? Do you have lists of not done homework, absence from school? Show them.

Sure, you might get fired (here in Germany, most of the full-time teachers are public employees, irredeemable.. Lucky one, eh?). But at least you put on a fight.

On the other hand, its only how long till retirement?.... Lets wait it out...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

You are right. Just like every profession, there are teachers who Do a horrible job.

Interesting tidbit: a child's most rapid brain development occurs before age five. Parents are a child's first teacher...and more parents need to understand this.

I will not lie. There are students who push my buttons. I sincerely hope I present a calm demeanor, but children know more than we give them credit for. But my personal feelings toward the child (or more accurately, the parent) do not change my desire to help them learn.

I live in a very poor rural area. 90% of my students live at or below the poverty line.
Their only real hope for escape is through education. I know this. It's the reason I'm a teacher. And I do love working with children.

Ugh, what a mess.

new topics

top topics

join