It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunset & Sunrise at the same time!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Just found this odd video from last year.

The video shows the sun setting in the west and some kind of rays coming from the east.

Anyone know what would cause this phenomenon?

I sure can't explain it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Could it not be darker streaks of clouding making other parts appear lighter and perhaps look like sun rays?

That was my first thought, still very odd!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Oh kitty cat.. Nice find!

No those aren't clouds those a real sun rays. I don't know what could cause this
edit on 6-3-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
That's anticrepuscular rays

Anticrepuscular rays are similar to crepuscular rays, but seen opposite the sun in the sky. Anticrepuscular rays are near-parallel, but appear to converge at the antisolar point because of linear perspective.[1] Anticrepuscular rays are most frequently visible near sunrise or sunset. Crepuscular rays are usually much brighter than anticrepuscular rays. This is because for crepuscular rays, seen on the same side of the sky as the sun, the atmospheric light scattering and making them visible is taking place at small angles (see Mie theory). Although anticrepuscular rays appear to converge onto a point opposite the sun, the convergence is actually an illusion. The rays are in fact (almost) parallel, and the apparent convergence is to the vanishing point at infinity.

See also explanations and other beautiful pictures at OPOD

Credits: John Britton
edit on 6-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
That's anticrepuscular rays

Anticrepuscular rays are similar to crepuscular rays, but seen opposite the sun in the sky. Anticrepuscular rays are near-parallel, but appear to converge at the antisolar point because of linear perspective.[1] Anticrepuscular rays are most frequently visible near sunrise or sunset. Crepuscular rays are usually much brighter than anticrepuscular rays. This is because for crepuscular rays, seen on the same side of the sky as the sun, the atmospheric light scattering and making them visible is taking place at small angles (see Mie theory). Although anticrepuscular rays appear to converge onto a point opposite the sun, the convergence is actually an illusion. The rays are in fact (almost) parallel, and the apparent convergence is to the vanishing point at infinity.

See also explanations and other beautiful pictures at OPOD

Credits: John Britton
edit on 6-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

awesome!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
AH HA! It's Nibiru the second sun.

That is pretty wild.

Those pictures on the website are beautiful. I like the mountain one in Italy. That one is breathtaking.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I learn something new everyday in here.

Awesome

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I learn something new everyday in here.

So true and don't you wish you could just wash some of it off?
Great question OP, interesting thread, I learned something too.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
this is so nutty! i've actually witnessed this before! and its quite alarming!
i had forgotten about this until i seen your post.
i remember showing my room mate and asking him 'what is that?' pointing to the east.
he said it was the sun setting. well that statement confirmed to me that guy was obviously an idiot!
i told him the sun sets in the west.he just shrugged it off showing no further interest.
any way, i think that when the sun is setting,it must relect it's light off of some clouds that are on the horizon in the east.making it appear as if the sun is there. at least thats what i told myself at the time. i'm no expert!

ive also seen 2 suns,one on top of the other,on a bitterly cold day. that was an amazing sight!
its funny,because at the time i was trying to explain my beliefs to my boss,who was giving me a ride to work.
she wasn't getting it,then i looked at the sun(s) and i said 'look! behold my lord!' and she nearly drove off the road!!!
our planet is full beauty! everywhere!
peace

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It could be a moister layer giving an atmospheric surface that a shadow from the low sun is casting. A thin moisture layer is like a cloud, only its so thin you can't see it, but it can become a surface that a shadow can be cast upon. I have a link I can offer for an explanation later when I get time to find it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

That is very interesting indeed. Other than 2 suns the only other theory would be a massive reflector of some kind sat in the middle of the ocean

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Spaceweather.com has a lot of answers for even this question. you might make it a fav. I stop there at spaceweather.com daily
edit on 6-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
No those aren't clouds those a real sun rays. I don't know what could cause this

The clouds perhaps? Although the darker streaks seen in the East are not "clouds", they are actually the shadows from the clouds. You can see the clouds which produce the shadow when he looks in the West. I saw something similar to this a few weeks ago, although it was just one dark streak from a large cirrus formation.

Crepuscular rays appear to converge on the sun, anticrepuscular rays converge in the opposite direction and you must have your back to the sun or sunset point to see them. They appear to converge towards the antisolar point, the point on the sky sphere directly opposite the sun. Like crepuscular rays they are parallel shafts of sunlight from holes in the clouds and their apparently odd directions are a perspective effect. Think of a long straight road, it converges towards the horizon but turn around and it also converges to the opposite horizon. Crepuscular and anticrepuscular rays behave in the same way.
Anti-crepuscular rays (emphasis in bold by me)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sometimes, but very rarely, sunrays pass right across the sky.

Crepusculars + anticrepusculars rays:

source: OPOD

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yes its a cool phenomena that i've witnessed a couple of times.
this is what it looked like-
from last year.

In the East

While the sun was setting in the West

edit on 12-3-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Nice photos! They're beautiful.
A good demonstration of crepuscular and anti-crepuscular rays.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Thanks, i came upon this thread and remembered i had some shots from this phenomena.
This was 2 years ago, ayt the time i didnt thought of it to be strange but just cool. Thanks to this thread i now know what this was.
Since then i only saw it once more, hope to seeit again some day. The colors that day were pretty amazing.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Another example i took from anti-crepuscular rays.

this is again the east

That sunset was amazing that day, just look at the west side

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I have an even scarier hypothesis/explanation... Especially with Magnetic North moving some double digit miles a year from The Arctic to Russia, plus our solar system being aligned with the blackhole at the center of the galaxy...Are you guys ready for it? The Earth is Stretching to look more like this () and the conspiracy is NASA is hiding it, and retouching our orbit pics and feeds....

Hows that for an explanation, the earth is thinning from blackhole gravity, but not losing mass, earthquakes, crazy weather, melting snow-caps, continental drift, warming at the poles, strange jet stream, ocean currents out of whack.

Now, since I have no scientific proof, and I am going out on a limb, what do you guys think? It's just a quick thought association hypothesis. I don't actually believe my own explanation, but what fun!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The higher the clouds the longer they reflect light, and the direction of those cloud reflections probably has something to do with the weather.... A lil bit of useless information i learned in my weather class.... YTF would anyone think its another sun?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join