It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Md. Gun Law Found Unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
A Federal judge has rendered an opinion about Maryland's gun law that requires residents show a “good and substantial reason” to get a handgun permit.

It is unconstitutional !!

March 5, 2012 1:29 PM -- CBS Baltimore

BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland’s requirement that residents show a “good and substantial reason” to get a handgun permit is unconstitutional, according to a federal judge’s opinion filed Monday.

States can channel the way their residents exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms, but because Maryland’s goal was to minimize the number of firearms carried outside homes by limiting the privilege to those who could demonstrate “good reason,” it had turned into a rationing system, infringing upon residents’ rights, U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg wrote.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a `good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights,” he wrote. “The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Gun Law Found Unconstitutional

Chalk another one up for the " Make Obama Frown " movement

Will the Justice Department fight this decision ??

I wonder what Eric Holder thinks

"The Judge" on the 2nd Amendment:

“A citizen may not be required to offer a `good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights,” he wrote. “The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

edit on Mar-06-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well, I think if some people didn't abuse the gun laws to have to their advantage, like stocking up on them in case of Armageddon, then I don't think you guys would have that many issue with the guns. You have gangs, mafia, cartels, smucks, doomsday people, collectors that buy them and ammo, left and right, and shoot innocent citizens either on purpose, or by accident. I don't think you would have this many problems with your gun laws if they just settle down. Ahem, Texas..

I know one guy that used to walk down my block with his gun swinging on his hip. Like really is that necessary? It's a family neighborhood. Then you got guys that turn into drunks at bars pulling out their guns, world is getting insane.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Ahem, Texas..

I think what you meant to say was, "Amen, Texas!"

2A all the way baby!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You will need to show me where all this lawlessness is taking place. Just because one LEGALLY purchases firearms and ammunition, doesn't make them automatically go out and shoot people. And who are you, or the government to tell any citizen how many firearms are too much?

I suppose you have a problem with swords, too...

The definition of “good and substantial reason” is too open to interpretation and, read the 2nd amendment. There are no restrictions on ARMS ownership.
edit on 6-3-2012 by dagon because: Adding to statement

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What about Illinois, California, New York, ect... gun laws? Kind of ironic that places with tight gun control laws actually have more gun related violence.

"When guns are outlawed, the outlaws will have guns!"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well, I think if some people didn't abuse the gun laws to have to their advantage, like stocking up on them in case of Armageddon, then I don't think you guys would have that many issue with the guns. You have gangs, mafia, cartels, smucks, doomsday people, collectors that buy them and ammo, left and right, and shoot innocent citizens either on purpose, or by accident. I don't think you would have this many problems with your gun laws if they just settle down. Ahem, Texas..

I know one guy that used to walk down my block with his gun swinging on his hip. Like really is that necessary? It's a family neighborhood. Then you got guys that turn into drunks at bars pulling out their guns, world is getting insane.

So in your mind collecting or "stockpiling" guns is abusing gun laws?......Really? I'm sorry but I don't remember the second amendment stating that the people have a right to posses "x" number of guns. And "stockpiling" guns in case of Armageddon or doomsday is contributing to gun violence?....WOW!

I haven't seen any gun collectors or preppers going around shooting innocent people, but you know what I have seen an increase of? Adrenaline drunken cops shooting innocent people!

As far as the man walking around your block with his gun, do you think criminals just stay in shanty neighborhoods? Is there some honor creed that criminals comply with that prevents them from going into "family neighborhoods"?

No the problem with guns in America is irrational people that can't quite seem to understand that a gun is an inanimate object and can not act on it's own. They would rather blame the gun for the violence than the true culprit which is the decline in our society and rampant desensitizing of violence via tv, movies, music, video games, etc.

Even if we lived in a world where the firearm had never been invented people would still kill people. And don't give me that "guns make it easier" crap. Hell if I wanted someone dead and didn't have a gun there are many ways it could be done. Bow and arrow, knife, car, hammer, axe, slingshot, or bare hands.

Not a single gun has ever killed anyone, but plenty of lowlifes kill people with guns!

I guess I should end my post now since I am a prepper and have over 30 guns in my gunsafe. I may accidentally shoot myself or someone else just because I have all these guns.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
No, I'm just saying if they toned it down on the buying the guns, it would of gone unnoticed. But some people do get carried with buying stuff. I mean for example a guy in line having over 10 things of bleach, now just change that to a whole cart of guns. There is no need to buy in bulk excessive amounts. Inless we were at war with one another.

I really can't even think right, now. So, exhausted and tire. I should go to bed.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

No, I'm just saying if they toned it down on the buying the guns, it would of gone unnoticed. But some people do get carried with buying stuff. I mean for example a guy in line having over 10 things of bleach, now just change that to a whole cart of guns. There is no need to buy in bulk excessive amounts. Inless we were at war with one another.

I really can't even think right, now. So, exhausted and tire. I should go to bed.

I like to buy my ammo in bulk, I get a much better price in lots over 1k rounds. I shoot a good bit and even reload for most of my stuff here. I'm not a prepper per se but I do like keeping some things in a larger quantity. One never really knows they say. And if a person wants to to the paperwork on a cart of guns then what's the problem? Really the cart of guns is not different than the cart of bleach. Both seem to have a need for it for whatever reason it is a legal product. I wish I could afford to go buy a cart full of guns. Not saying I would, but it be nice to be able to afford to.
Plus with what's already here I don't know where I'd put a cart load.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
GREAT news!

Now why do you need a permit to own a handgun? Here in PA, I want a whatever, in I go with my $ and pass the NICS and out I go with my new noise maker.

Permit, as in they are permitting me to own it? Shouldn't be at all! The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!

Derek

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The law that was declared unconstitutional is for Concealed Carry Permits.

We have never needed a permit to buy a handgun in MD. Just a background check and a 7 day waiting period.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 90gsx

a 7 day waiting period? Damn, that sucks. If i walk in and see something i like, it may take me about an hour, but i will walk out and take to to clean and shoot that afternoon.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
yea just for handguns and "assault rifles". Shotguns and regular rifles are cash and carry

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Damn it dude. Gotta rub it in dontcha

Another unconstitutional piece of crap law bites the dust. They need to all fall like dominoes

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 90gsx
The law that was declared unconstitutional is for Concealed Carry Permits.

Kalif has the almost the same wording on there law for CCW permits so i wonder how long before this ruling carries over to other states.
www.ninehundred.net...

I have a Nevada CCW but i can not get in one in Kalif where i live because they claim i don't have good reason.
edit on 31-7-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Sure you do, you want to carry your weapon legally. Man I can't understand Cali. I have friends there and they tell me almost daily how they are being trampled on. I tell them to move..heh.

Personally I see all CCW permits as another way of limiting the 2A. and they all need tossed out. States with Constitutional carry don't seem to be having any trouble with ramped shootings.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Would you also suggest that people "tone down" free speech?

Using your example of 10 things of bleach... how do you know all 10 are not needed? I got many funny looks from people when I once purchased 20 bottles of rubbing alcohol... what they didnt know was that was doing all my own body work on a car, and intended to paint it in my garage. The rubbing alcohol was to clean the car after wet sanding to remove any trace of dust before I painted.

btw- the car turned out great lol

top topics

join