It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending doomsday officially cancelled!! (probably)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
LOL. Great timing. The sun just burped out an X-5 flare.
edit on 7-3-2012 by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Nice thread. Unfortunately it won't make a difference. The belief in doomsday/ascension is a religion unto itself at this point. So no amount of logic is going to cause these followers to abandon their god. Just look at how many people in this thread are making claims regarding the Mayan calendar that I and others have debunked in almost every thread on the topic. I even have a thread devoted entirely to how the Mayan calendar system works and still you have people claiming that the "Mayan calendar" (they can't even seem to learn that the Maya had multiple calendars) was more accurate than the Gregorian calendar. That's pretty hard to believe considering the haab was an exact 365 days.

Ok, I'm rambling and venting now. Once again great thread. Just don't expect it to change too many people's minds.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Every preacher knows their sermons will land most squarely on the choir.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
You want to hear a good doomsday warning? Read Revelation 12 about the woman being clothed with the sun, and then take a look at what happened to the constellation Virgo when Comet Elenin passed through it and 6 more constellations in the hebrew mazzaroth for a total of that magic number 7. The prophecy in Revelation 12 was fulfilled.

Makes you want to know how a prophet who lived 2500 years ago who didn't know math, could know that this event was going to happen in broad daylight when no one could see it because of blue sky, yet still happened eh? Last time this even happened was Christ's first coming. It happened again 2000 years later, maybe a prediction of his second coming? Gotta wonder, how someone that lived 2000+ years ago knew this was going to happen and in daylight no less when the stars are not visible.

I appreciate your appreciation for the Bible, but if you want to make a connection between some passages in Revelations 12 and a astronomical event, it's my personal opinion you're grasping at straws. First of all, the Bible was written by men, mostly very drunk men in the 13th and 14th centuries. Very little in that book can be attributed to anyone who lived before then, let alone 2500 years ago. And, there's no mention of the passages you're referencing having anything to do with celestial events. Even metaphorically, it's a total stretch.

Again, people have been predicting The End in the Biblical sense for hundreds of years. It's yet to happen and the exceedingly high unlikelihood of its occurrence during your lifetime qualifies it as fiction. A fairy tale.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
the whole doomsday thing is a good way to milk people's wallets. nothing more.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Thank you for that feel good about the world. It's our world that concerns me though. We been crapping where we eat and sleep far too long. And the ceaseless wars and the FUKU thing. And clean water, toxins and genetics in food and animals... well thats a long list too.

But I get ya about overdone sensationalism here too. Sometimes I think I might be reading the Enquirer in the grocery line. So Yah and No and this is ATS after all...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Users in the "General Conspiracy" forums always dish out stars for the dumbest, least substantial topics on all of ATS....

PS yes, I'm jealous.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Thanks for your lovely view, fear can spread like fire but the truth is like water. your words are the water of ats.
best wishes

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
You're probably right man and that video was really good but I'd like to point out some things that I disagree with your perspective on:

Think about it. Why should now be so special? Why should today or tomorrow be any different than the millions of days that have come before, or the millions that will come after?

First of all, why should now not be so special? Why is tomorrow any better time for a catastrophe to happen? Simply because it's more convenient than now? But semantics aside, technology plays a major role in this discussion. Up until now, known civilization literally couldn't destroy the planet. Now we literally can destroy the planet. That's not to say we'll do it, just to say that that's what's different from yesterday and the difference between tomorrow coming at all.

You’re absolutely certain the world economy is falling apart and the class war is starting tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or before the election, or after the election, and that civilization as we know it will collapse? This event has been predicted time and again since before the Great Depression.

The world economy today is very different from economies in the past, especially before the great depression. It's become far, far more complicated and corrupted than anything man's ever known and it controls the civilized world not just individual nations. When it collapses, and it will, it won't be a walk in the park. Maybe not the end of the world, true, but surely the end of the world as we know it. For better or worse, time will tell. And I think that time's coming real soon... but that's just my opinion, man.

Hey, remember when everyone said that the Y2K virus was going to be the end of us? Or that the LHC was going to kill us all? Neither of those things happened.

To be fair that kind of hysteria is just plain old ignorance, the media playing on people's fears. Those kinds of doomsday fears are based on a misunderstanding of technology and people preying on that misunderstanding to sell something and control us (by what we think), nothing more. The Y2K bug in particular was ridiculous, anyone who knows anything about computer programming understands how harmless that "bug" really was (and indeed a lot of the people who did back then capitalized on it big time). The Hadron collider on the other hand, who knows. I don't see how playing with particles on a subatomic level could be safe but I'm not a scientist so what choice do I have but to place my blind faith in government agencies I don't fully understand (like most other aspects of my life). What people should be more worried about is that these technologies might come to achieve their intended purpose: to monitor and control our every action so that the fascists scumbags of earth can rule in peace.

But we do agree on a few things, something's coming, when/what/who will be the surprise. And we're all One. Anyone who denies that is just unenlightened, give them their own time and they'll come around soon. All the fear of this sh*t will be replaced with the desire and power to do something about it. That's what 2012 is, not the end of the world, the end of the world as we think of it. Consciousness shift. I'm betting all I have that people will wake up in this lifetime to what's going on and rebel against it in the name of true unity. Because if I lose the bet, and we don't rise up in the name of unity and love for each other, I don't wanna f*cking stick around this sh*thole much longer anyway cuz it'll be hell on earth round here before long. There might not be an asteroid comin our way but hard times sure as sh*t are
edit on 7/3/2012 by MyrtlePlace because: typo

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Thank you so much for helping me to relax. However I think its human nature to see danger lurking around each corner. Especially the kind you can do little about. And its true though that the end of the world has been predicted at lots of occasions throughout life. Problem of this particular prediction is, that it is accompanied by lots of events that seems to underline the 'warning'. (Like the sky/earth sounds we've been experiencing)

I find it reassuring to prepare myself and my family there where it is possible. So I can be peaceful in the knowledge that I did my best. As for the rest, I try hard to lean back and enjoy life...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
in fact i don't care how the world end what i care the most is what i will do today to make the difference to make this world a better world until the end... living in the fear of death is like living in a world without color...i fight for a real freedome, free of this fear and when humanity will walk towards his destiny without fear yes it will be the end of the world and then a new world will emerge let be this generation who make the world end .
edit on 7-3-2012 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Oh it'll end, if i gotta end it myslef.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
If an apocalipse is about to occur that would wipe out the earth then their is nothing that anybody can do about it so people need to stop worrying about these things. On a less dramatic scale anyone of us could die in a car accident or of a heart attack tomorrow but do we go around every day worrying about these things. Several prophets have in predicting the end of the world instead succeeded in predicting their own death date so it could be said that they were right in a way as it was the end of their world. Most people are not in the position to have a deep underground bunker and, 5 years of stored food and the resources to rebuild after a major pole shift or earth scorching solar flare etc anyway. Besides that underground bunker may become your tomb from earthquakes, poison gasses, unintended lava flows or a multitude of other calamities that might strike. The survivors of a global catastrophy are likely to be people away from population centers in remote high up locations that have plenty of stored food, extremely high physical tolerences ( Eg the ability to go without food for weeks, the ability to withstand extreme pain etc) and a high sense of spirituality. This rules out most westerners. While i am not sure exactly what to believe as to the different prophecies i do think that mankind is in for a rough ride over the next few years but their will be survivors who will rebuild. Most of the people that do survive will be more primitive peoples in remote locations and survival will be more a matter of luck than preparedness. If 99.9% of the worlds population got wiped out that would still leave approx 7million people to rebuild. Just a thought
Massive earth quakes, pole shifts, earth scaring solar flares, nuclear wars, violent dictators, alien visitation and control and various other calamities have all happened before and we are still here. If the various alien groups wanted us gone it would have happened along time ago. Although their are bad alien groups their are also good alien groups that consider us family and want to help us evolve. When gloom and doom is presented only one side of the story ( the negative part) is put forward. Disasters may only be a bad thing if looking at it from a certain ( mostly physical point of view ) anyway and may instead be a chance to learn and evolve.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Impending doomsday officially cancelled!! (probably

That's excellent. Love your opening post and thread. Especially love the title.
You did a great job. I hope the mods gave you a bunch of applause.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
So an economic collapse can't happen?

Whew! What a relief ...

edit: BTW i saw the word "probably" in the title ... do I detect a lack of confidence in your position? Leaving some wiggle room?

edit on 7-3-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

I couldn't agree more Exsisto
Doomsday is a popular topic because it exercises people's minds, it keeps us moving forward as a species. ELE events have happend in the past and so far, we are the only species to be able to appreciate that, and work toward survival. That doesn't mean we will survive, but it is a worthwhile goal. There are so many things to say in response to this post. I'll start with one of the more populare: The Myans, as many here have already said, the Myan calander is not THAT accurate. While I will grant that the Myans were advanced, they were advanced for their time. It doesn't mean they knew more than us. Their astronomical observations were super advanced for their time, but they did not have the luxury of Hubble or the Chandra X-ray Observatory. While the Myans may have been able to predict solar events ( eclipse's and what not) they could never have imagined something like The Hubble Ultra-Deep Field. Read Hubble Ultra-Deep Field. This one image contains more information than all the step pyramids in the world combined, just look at the stats.

The only "Doomsday" we need worry about is one of mans own making IMO.
I may have crossed purposes here, but essentially what I'm trying to say is that doom and gloom needs to be taken in moderation with a healthy dose of common sense and a positive outlook on life. Just because anything can happen, doesn't mean anything will happen.
Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Chief,

This is the way the universe works. The more people that expect an event to occur the lesser are its chances. Nevertheless, rest assured that there will be an end time for this civilization, as has been for many others in the past. From my humble research, a period of 11,500 years (+/- 500) seems to be the general duration of a cycle. This number resonates in many a mythologies around the world. Cant go into all details here.

Now what makes the end date unpredictable are many factors. Some of them are as follows. It doesn't exactly happen as clock-work in terms of human time. The +/- 500 factor plays an important role. Moreover no person / group / family has maintained a count of years since the last apocalypse (at last that is known publicly).

One other factor would be the quantum nature of time and related events. The very fact that a conscious being witnessed an event changes the outcome. So many number of people expecting an event would add new variables to the cosmic equation and the result would of course be different. But the events with more cosmic probability would be tougher to deviate.

The causes for the cyclic doom is anybody's guess. Most probably the main culprits could be solar activity or comets. And in my very personal opinion, the next 200 years hold a very high probability for the culmination of this chapter.

But you are right too, all these so called predictions and prophets are really testing my patience now.

edit on 7/3/2012 by SambhavaamiYugeYuge because: To add the end line.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
THE world doesn't end, but YOU"RE world ends. A fall down the stairs or a nuclear war, it doesn't matter, the planet will recover.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You can close your mind to reality.
Reality does not mind.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Doomsday prophecies may be silly, but they make some good movies.

(Not 2012, there are many, MANY better movies)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
But wait, National Geographic told me I should be prepping for a doomsday!! And I've heard of at least 2 potential Earth-bound asteroids in the past weeks. Oh now I don't know what to believe. I'll just go hide in my bunker and hope for the best.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join