It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does Consciousness come from, Time-wise?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

Your experiences in life are from the past. By the time your senses pick up information, send them to your brain and you acknowledge something, it's already in the past.

Thank you, that is exactly my point.

How can you think about something you have not already experienced?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
Up until a child is approx., 2 years old he/she lives in 'The Now' because he/she is not self aware. Once the child has an independent 'thought' he/she becomes aware and begins thinking for him/herself and starts experiencing the world.

Thought and Consciousness have got to be one and the same ie., Thought/Consciousness/Awareness are ONE. and results in 'Thinking' thereby Creating.

Dew you know what the International Recycling Symbol looks like? The triangularized arrows? Imagine each leg of that symbol being one of each of these:

1. Consciousness
2. Thinking/Awareness
3. Thought

It's the Circle of Life and it's a 3-sided circle that never ends, because a true circle has no beginning.

Sew if it didn't begin, how can it end?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
My mind went to a totally different direction when reading the OP. What I interpreted is that it was about the beginning of time and consciousness.

I do have a thought on consciousness (what we are, but not out physical selves).

I do believe in Einstein, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Our consciousness is a form of energy, as for what happens when our bodies cease to function is anyones guess.

Just because energy cannot be destroyed, doesn't mean it cannot be created for energy is being created at all times, which fuels the growth of the Universe.

WE is a Self-Powered Lifeform.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
time does exist at the surface. it is a dimension within our universe, but not within the formlessness our universe arises from

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

I hate to be the one to explain this to you but nobody likes a smart mouth.
Or a ‘know it all’...particularly one that doesn’t know it all anyway.

Having said that...this statement of yours needs a little exploration...

1 Consciousness.
2 Thinking/Awareness.
3 Thought.

Don’t you think it should be?

1. Consciousness.
2. Self/Awareness.
3. Thought.

You don’t have to think to be aware.
Or do I have to explain the obvious?

Or better still...perhaps it should be...

1. Consciousness.
2. Consciousness of self.
3. Consciousness of thought.

Lastly...Your flirtation with language may at first seem entertaining or even endearing to some but you may find that to others it is a little tedious...at best.

So where does consciousness spring from?

edit on 6-3-2012 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
were does consciousness come from?

For me consciousnesses is always available. It doesn't exist in a sense of how a 3-D brain would try interpret. It's always there and have been and will be, and you direct your consciousness into anywhere with your imagination. Let all the stranded DNA come together again and you will understand...

Cheers

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
For Purple Vortex.

For me consciousnesses is always available. It doesn't exist in a sense of how a 3-D brain would try interpret. It's always there and have been and will be, and you direct your consciousness into anywhere with your imagination. Let all the stranded DNA come together again and you will understand..."

Lets face it...thats all a bit fuzzy and leads exactly nowhere.

You say 'consciousness is always available'...what does that mean?

You say 'It's always there and have been and will be'...hmm.

And if you direct your consciousness into anywhere...who is directing it?

And if you understand anything at all your stranded DNA must have come together?

How is your DNA...methinks its all coming apart!

edit on 6-3-2012 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If I thought about writing this and now I did then it's both past and present, so consciousness lies somewhere in between everything.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Consciousness > Mental Process/Thinking > Thought (rinse and repeat)

Consciousness is not a singular process. It has many aspects, some of which are mutually exclusive. The illusion of unity is the only real illusion: we are a colony, as is all life, as is She.

Time is not an illusion: it is simply a matter of perception of rate. The 'time' experienced by a neuron is not the same 'time' we experience, nor is it the same 'time' that She experiences: fractal in the sense that the pattern is the same, only shifting in scale, not actuality.

Without time there is no motion, no change...and change = life.

Being is the Noun; Form is the adjective.
Matter is the Noun; Motion is the Verb.
Wherefore hath Being clothed itself with Form?
Wherefore hath Matter manifested itself in Motion?
Answer not, O silent one! For THERE is no "where-
fore", no "because".
The name of THAT is not known; the Pronoun
interprets, that is , misinterprets, It.
Time and Space are Adverbs.
Duality begat the Conjunction.
The Conditioned is Father of the Preposition.
The Article also marketh Division; but the Inter-
jeciton is the sound that endeth in the Silence.
Destroy therefore the Eight Parts of Speech; the
Ninth is nigh unto Truth.
This also must be destroyed before thou enterest
into The Silence.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The ultimate objective truth is that we don't exist. The ultimate subjective truth is that we do.

Actually, the ultimate objective truth is that light is the only thing that is objectively real. When you die (cease to exist) that's why you see the light. Light is the only thing that objectively exists. Death is the emergence into objective reality.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

The swimming fish cannot see the birds flying above its head. I didn't try to clarify or get in depth about my answer. I just tried pointing out the bigger picture i see as far as consciousness. A while back when I was a little younger (12) a friend and I were having a conversation about death, and my friends point of view was when you die, you just completely turn off for a lack of a better word. Like, turning off the switch, death of consciousness. And I thought to myself, how is this possible? As if my brain cells just couldn't swallow that theory. How can I cease to be conscious of myself and everything after this transition just never clicked for me. Consciousness, the Inner being will never die. As I said this energy will always exist, and always have. When you reject every component as not your "I" then that which remains cannot be described but only lived. It cannot be the object of thought, because it's beyond thoughts and mind. You do not need to search for this consciousness for it is always there and you are living it, you are it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

What if consciousness is the result of thought? What if both are the same? Both consciousness and also thought to a lesser degree are concepts that are hard to really explain.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It depends on which kind of human consciousness you're referring to - corporeal human consciousness or post-corporeal human consciousness.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

I hate to be the one to explain this to you but nobody likes a smart mouth.
Or a ‘know it all’...particularly one that doesn’t know it all anyway.

Having said that...this statement of yours needs a little exploration...

1 Consciousness.
2 Thinking/Awareness.
3 Thought.

Don’t you think it should be?

1. Consciousness.
2. Self/Awareness.
3. Thought.

You don’t have to think to be aware.
Or do I have to explain the obvious?

Or better still...perhaps it should be...

1. Consciousness.
2. Consciousness of self.
3. Consciousness of thought.

Lastly...Your flirtation with language may at first seem entertaining or even endearing to some but you may find that to others it is a little tedious...at best.

So where does consciousness spring from?

It is logically impossible to be Self Aware and that awareness did kNot come from Thinking, therefore, Thinking & Self Awareness go hand-in-hand and you dew have to be capable of Thinking in order to be Self Aware, because it takes postulating a Question then answering it to be Self Aware, and all of that requires Thinking.

See, I did the math before I opened my mouth and from there, I came up with the correct order, which if you want to call me a know-it-all, I know Logic and from there, I figure out the rest.
You should try a little Logic yourself.

As to my werd use, I could care less what you or anyone else thinks. The only place where order is a must is in mathematics, other than that, the rest of the languages are to give the monkies sum thing to dew, since they suck at math.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
The ultimate objective truth is that we don't exist. The ultimate subjective truth is that we do.

Actually, the ultimate objective truth is that light is the only thing that is objectively real. When you die (cease to exist) that's why you see the light. Light is the only thing that objectively exists. Death is the emergence into objective reality.

My question would be, what if neither are applicable, then what Reality dew you have left to fall back on?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
reply to post by midicon

The swimming fish cannot see the birds flying above its head. I didn't try to clarify or get in depth about my answer. I just tried pointing out the bigger picture i see as far as consciousness. A while back when I was a little younger (12) a friend and I were having a conversation about death, and my friends point of view was when you die, you just completely turn off for a lack of a better word. Like, turning off the switch, death of consciousness. And I thought to myself, how is this possible? As if my brain cells just couldn't swallow that theory. How can I cease to be conscious of myself and everything after this transition just never clicked for me. Consciousness, the Inner being will never die. As I said this energy will always exist, and always have. When you reject every component as not your "I" then that which remains cannot be described but only lived. It cannot be the object of thought, because it's beyond thoughts and mind. You do not need to search for this consciousness for it is always there and you are living it, you are it.

Consciousness is the Soul of the Universe/God/SourCe/WE the Kids, sew it never dies.

Sumthing I forgot to mention in the OP, the Consciousness I was referring to is the Collective Consciousness, where all consciousness originates from.
And the rule there is simple, if you aren't connected, you aren't Life.

I didn't want to cause a dispute concerning that sew I left it out but then I realized most peeps will think I'm talking about you stoopid humans, when you aren't as special as you think.

Sew is it possible for the Collective Consciousness of the Universe/God/SourCe to exist outside of Time, which could only mean it exists in the future?

Ribbit

edit on 6-3-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird

What if consciousness is the result of thought? What if both are the same? Both consciousness and also thought to a lesser degree are concepts that are hard to really explain.

With the flow of Thought, it always goes back to the Consciousness, but the Consciousness had to exist before Thought could happen and if the Collective Consciousness is Eternal, that would explain sum but where is it in Time? Does it exist in the Present or the Future? I don't see the Past being an option and the Present could be the answer, but with Time, We can only account for two aspects of it, Past & Present, sew could there be more to the Future than We ever imagined?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

It depends on which kind of human consciousness you're referring to - corporeal human consciousness or post-corporeal human consciousness.

Actually, humans don't have a Consciousness but that's another subject, sew the Consciousness I was referring to is the Collective Consciousness of the Universe/God/SourCe/WE the Kids. That's the only Consciousness in this Lifeform called the Universe and anything that qualifies as Life is connected to IT.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Actually, humans don't have a Consciousness but that's another subject, sew the Consciousness I was referring to is the Collective Consciousness of the Universe/God/SourCe/WE the Kids. That's the only Consciousness in this Lifeform called the Universe and anything that qualifies as Life is connected to IT.

Ribbit

That definition of consciousness is a common, yet inaccurate human perception interpretation of the physical nature of the Residual Informational Continuum when its been encountered within the informational realm by passed human beings. Of course, those passed humans have affected the way that corporeal humans imagine the eternal realm to be, and as a result we've been buried under all sorts of illogical and even damaging misconceptions about what surrounds us and lies before us as humans sentenced to death and transition.

There isn't any other form of consciousness than the sentience of the mind, and only a brain can produce a mind. That said, once brought into physical existence, the mind is eternal, and is the only naturally sentient being with permanent physical existence. That means that the only consciousness that exists is human consciousness. Space hasn't got consciousness. Rock, gases and ice doesn't have consciousness. Heat doesn't imagine itself as existing, and neither does cold. Light doesn't wonder if anything is faster than it is, and darkness doesn't compare itself to that which is more or less dark than itself.

The consciousness that reaches from the human being into the eternal realm is the result of the magnificent human brain frantically responding to the business of elite levels of corporeal survival, translating the body's DNA directives as the management system that it is for an overwhelmingly complex corporeal organization. And it's the sophistication of that brain that ultimately makes the difference between its data configuration clusters launched each instant, and the information launched by lesser corporeal brains. These data configurations are self aware, and that self awareness is what makes it conscious, sentient, and uniquely human.

Rocks don't have brains. Stars don't think. Black holes don't do anything but suck everything - including light - into their intense gravity fields. Human beings think. Human beings wonder. Human beings are conscious, and if something is not conscious then it doesn't have consciousness. And consciousness isn't some sort of free-form essence that devoid of sentience and specific identity. Not if the term consciousness is being used to describe sentience. And if it's not being used to describe sentience, then frankly, I have no idea what the word consciousness is being used to describe.

Maybe it's a semantics issue, but reality isn't affected by semantics.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Ribbit

That definition of consciousness is a common, yet inaccurate human perception interpretation of the physical nature of the Residual Informational Continuum when its been encountered within the informational realm by passed human beings. Of course, those passed humans have affected the way that corporeal humans imagine the eternal realm to be, and as a result we've been buried under all sorts of illogical and even damaging misconceptions about what surrounds us and lies before us as humans sentenced to death and transition.

There isn't any other form of consciousness than the sentience of the mind, and only a brain can produce a mind. That said, once brought into physical existence, the mind is eternal, and is the only naturally sentient being with permanent physical existence. That means that the only consciousness that exists is human consciousness. Space hasn't got consciousness. Rock, gases and ice doesn't have consciousness. Heat doesn't imagine itself as existing, and neither does cold. Light doesn't wonder if anything is faster than it is, and darkness doesn't compare itself to that which is more or less dark than itself.

The consciousness that reaches from the human being into the eternal realm is the result of the magnificent human brain frantically responding to the business of elite levels of corporeal survival, translating the body's DNA directives as the management system that it is for an overwhelmingly complex corporeal organization. And it's the sophistication of that brain that ultimately makes the difference between its data configuration clusters launched each instant, and the information launched by lesser corporeal brains. These data configurations are self aware, and that self awareness is what makes it conscious, sentient, and uniquely human.

Rocks don't have brains. Stars don't think. Black holes don't do anything but suck everything - including light - into their intense gravity fields. Human beings think. Human beings wonder. Human beings are conscious, and if something is not conscious then it doesn't have consciousness. And consciousness isn't some sort of free-form essence that devoid of sentience and specific identity. Not if the term consciousness is being used to describe sentience. And if it's not being used to describe sentience, then frankly, I have no idea what the word consciousness is being used to describe.

Maybe it's a semantics issue, but reality isn't affected by semantics.

As a human, you sure are a waste of a beautiful mind.

You should shuck your human skin, get out of that Edgar Suit, and take a closer look at what's going on, since you might be surprised what the truth is because what you think the truth is, isn't but in doesn't matter in totality, since you always wake up from these knowing the truth.

There is no sp00n!

There is no y0u!

You are living a Dream, thus, the y0u does kNot exist!

Ribbit

Ps: You are also incorrect about black holes. Science now knows matter is also being EJECTED out of black holes, sew they don't just suck, they spit too.
Plus, it's magnetics that draws the matter in, kNot gravity, although magnetics is also the source of gravity sew it can be said gravity is what draws in the matter but it's kNot the correct way to say it but you don't know the truth about gravity sew how could you possibly know the truth about black holes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join