It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO privacy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a census that would make hitler blush.

welcome to the home spying network. STOP the insanity! up to $50 000 in fines for noncompliance. yay.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by billybob]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What democracy? What rights. This stuff makes the Patriot Bill look like nothing!

The Spider

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Aye, going backwards in time and ya don't need a machine to do it with as the laws are applied to give all information or threatin' me with a fine I could not pay and end up in the brige.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
a census that would make hitler blush.
welcome to the home spying network.

In the interest of denying ignorance (that is why we're here, right?), I looked up the American Community Survey to see for myself what it involved.

The official homepage is here, and the survey itself is here.

Some random points about the original article you posted:

From the original article
Unfortunately, the survey is not voluntary. Answering the questions is not a polite request from the Census Bureau. You are legally obligated to answer. If you refuse, the fines are staggering. For every question not answered, there is a $100 fine. And for every intentionally false response to a question, the fine is $500. Therefore, if a person representing a two-person household refused to fill out any questions or simply answered nonsensically, the total fines could range from upwards of $10,000 and $50,000 for noncompliance.

Sorry, this is false. The maximum fine for not participating is $100, and the maximum fine for false information is $500. This is defined in 13 USC 221. This is further confrmed by this line on the Census website:

From the Census website
According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100.
So no one's getting thrown in the brig - consider it a $100 fee to not give out your personal information if you don't want.

The survey combines asinine questions with highly detailed inquiries about your financial affairs.

More correctly, it asks detailed questions about your home and finances related to the home. No where are you asked about personal loans, credit cards, your prsonal savings, investments, retirement funds, or anything not related to your home. So the "picture" they're supposedly getting could never be used in any meaningful way.

... the survey demands that you violate the privacy of others by supplying the names and addresses of your friends, relatives and employer.

Again, this is a misleading statement. You're asked about people living in your home for more than 2 months. For example, you're specifically asked not to report college students. They'll never know about your children who've moved out, or your children in school through this survey. And don't they already know your employer from the W2 you submitted? So what's the problem with telling them again? The only way you would be providing information on your friends is if they live with you. Otherwise, they'll never know who your friends are.

So it looks like the author of the article that was mentioned is overreacting to this survey. As you can see, it does ask certain questions, but to me, it doesn't look like the type of info the NWO would be drooling over. And certainly nothing that would "make Hitler blush". Combine that with the fact that this survey is only sent to 2.5% of the population each year - it would take over 40 years to complete everyone, and by that time, the original data is no good again.

So after reading through the survey itself, and coming to my own conclusions, I'd say I'm not worried.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midnight Watchman
So after reading through the survey itself, and coming to my own conclusions, I'd say I'm not worried.

that's some good research. i still say this is cause for alarm. it is the principle of excessive information gathering and our right to privacy that is on trial here.

top topics

join