It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Caucus Day Story, Seattle WA March 3rd.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
So, even though I work late and often stay up really late too on Fridays, I forced myself outta bed early saturday morning and headed to my local caucus. I wish I woulda taken more pictures but I got some interesting shots none the less.

When I arrived at the location I saw cars in the parking lot with Ron Paul stickers and signs. I didn't see signs for ANYONE else. When I got inside I was immediately greeted by a table of some RP supporters who told me to go find my precinct and get inside, because I had just barely made it in time. I asked one of them where the tables were for the other candidates were and we both just kind of laughed...they were not represented...anywhere. After I found my precinct number I asked the same supporter what do I do when I get in...she simply said.."try to become a delegate."

Once inside I found the other five people from my neighborhood and we listened to the dude with the mic tell us how this works. In total the room had over 200 hundred attendees I'd guess. I was elected chairman of my precinct, which isn't as fancy as it sounds I just sign off on everything and make sure we all get counted. Someone in the crowd also noticed this:

Everyone was under the impression that Washington has open primaries(because it does), and this pic seems to say otherwise, blatant attempt to get RP supporters(many of which are independents and dems who would rather NOT be associated with the republican party), to be discouraged from participating? Who knows....
If that was the case it didn't work, case in point, how my precinct voted....

Unanimous, so obviously our 2 delegates are Ron Paul supporters. One of which being myself.

When I went to turn everything in, someone mentioned how he liked the look of how my precinct voted, I asked him if he had noticed anyone else here that supported anyone else. He mentioned something about a blonde girl who was there for Romney, I personally don't remember seeing a single sign, button, sticker, or anything else for anyone other than Paul.

And that was it...so I thought. I was downtown later that day and got an email stating the Ron Paul was going to be speaking in a couple hours right here in Seattle. It happened to going on about 15 minutes walking from where I was so I figured I'd go check it out. I had to stand out in the cold for a LONG time, and then they let us in and I got right to the stage...where I had to stand again...for a LONG time. But finally He came out and gave his speech, it was pretty cool, I was VERY close to the podium, here check it out...

I talked to a few people down there and listened to a bunch too, and I was surprised to hear that some other neighborhoods were not nearly as Ron Paul heavy as mine. But despite that, I was hearing lots of stories from people who spoke up and became delegates even in Romney or Santorum(really? people in educated urban areas like seattle actually like this guy?? REALLY!?) heavy areas. MANY people in line all around me were in fact delegates.

Here's the video of the entire speech....see that dude with the awesome brown and white Ron Paul trucker hat on? That's ATS's own Liquidsmoke206!!!!

Well let me know what you think, share your own caucus stories, or flame away if that's what floats your boat....all comments are welcome.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oh yeah...forgot to mention....after the speech....I actually shook Ron's hand!

Not a bad day, especially considering I had no idea RP was even in town when I had rolled outta bed that morning.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Just the smallest of points:

Everyone was under the impression that Washington has open primaries(because it does), and this pic seems to say otherwise, blatant attempt to get RP supporters(many of which are independents and dems who would rather NOT be associated with the republican party), to be discouraged from participating? Who knows....

You're quite right, Washington has open primaries. You attended a caucus which wasn't "open." There was no attempt to keep out Paul supporters by stealthy means.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ok, I've done a little more reading into this....
What we have here are modified open primaries and caucuses. This means that independents can vote for whoever they want at either event, but in doing so sign themselves up as members of which ever party's caucus they attended. Basically I can't attend any democratic caucuses this year, having cast my vote in a republican one already. The way I see it, I don't have to be republican to show up, but if I'm gonna vote, I'm signed on for a year.

Is that right?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thanks much for sharing. I attended one of the Idaho rallies today. Big turnout of support(waiting on official numbers). As tomorrow's the vote for us, hope to post!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

How are things in Idaho?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

How are things in Idaho?

Results came out to what I figured state wise, catering to Romney who won the 32 state delegates. As Paul didn't win state though, showing as third place, near tie to second. He did well in some counties. For example, In my county, which Paul had won, there was a big percentage gap between him and second place at 52% to 20% of the 974 votes cast as a whole, which came out better than I figured but thought even more.

Picture IDs and voter cards-Republican party- were the rules. Caucuses were done on paper ballot votes placed in a black box to then be tallied by three people for each section of seating. Paul's win percentage meant we didn't need a second voting round. Was all tallied, with cell phone correspondence and shown in real time computer spread sheet projected for the county. Overall was done well.

Nice turnout, good support at least where I was. Though with ID, wish more had turned out to vote for Paul. Can't say there was fowl play as I wasn't at the other locations, we'll have to wait for info on that. There was record number "largest in the nation" for Ada county(which had a coin count -that's different?-caucus) attendees to the caucuses, and statewide with with over 44,000 votes.

DNews, Ron Paul local win
DailyPaul-Super Tues, has the percentages from different news sources-which in some cases slightly differ.

edit on 7-3-2012 by dreamingawake because: adding more

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Looks like super Tuesday was a blow for sure. But in states that have open delegates it looks like Paul may still have a slim chance of picking up the majority of the delegates.

here's a video alluding to Paul not being totally out yet.

reality check
edit on 8-3-2012 by liquidsmoke206 because: because youtube vids on this site are a crap shoot, couln't get it to work.

top topics

join