It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-80

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I woke up this morning, much to my surprise, to our local hard rock station interviewing a famous ufologist (didn't get the name) who was just in the middle of answering Meathead's (our glorious morning show DJ) question of "What is the best UFO footage ever?"

His reponse....sts-80.

Today, in a semi-unrelated nature, I went through the 20 page John Lear catastrophe...uh...I mean, q&a thread
...and I found this excerpt from John Lear on STS-80:

Originally posted by johnlear
STS-80, of course, was actual UFO's and possibly Star Wars weapons interacting. Ron Madely (now temporarily disappeared) got into NASA to look at the original tapes of STS-80 and found that they had been spliced to take out material. You have to realize that the main reason NASA has so many failures is because 90% of their effort is devoted to covering up what they have found in the other 10% Their job is almost as daunting as that of the National Transportation Safety Board which has to spend 95% of their time trying to figure out how to cover up the real cause of accidents without looking like total jerks to the pilot community. NTSB coverups: Arrow Air, Gander, Newfoundland terroist bomb in rear cargo Canadian NTSB: ice on the wings. UAL (B-737), Colorado Springs, pilot suicide, NTSB: Clear air turbulence. USAIR (B-727, Pittsburgh, pilot suicide, NTSB: yaw damper malfunction. TWA800 (B-747) accidentally shot down by US Navy NTSB: center tank fuel explosion. AA587 (A-300) Belle Harbor, NY terrorist bomb NTSB: vertical fin failure due to excessive pilot rudder input. UA93 (B-757 Shanksville shot down by F-16 using 20mm cannon NTSB: pilot loss of control.

My first question is: Who has a link to this footage? I want to see this...

But primarily, I want to know the ATS members' thoughts are on this footage...I found it interesting to go from having never heard of this to hearing about it twice in one day...

I don't care if you say you think/know it's a hoax, but if you do, please provide substantial proof...and if John Lear wishes to add side notes to this topic, I'd be honored.

[edit on 9/20/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Right off the top of my head, I don't know of any good save to disk videos, but you can see the most important bits of the STS-80 footage at the link below using realplayer.

www.unknowncountry.com...

The bit with the thing shooting out from Sao Paolo is absolutely amazing video. One of, if not the best. I'd say the stuff regarding the anomaly over Greifswald Germany and the recent Mexico UFO video are some of the best as well.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That's amazing ... the STS - 37 movies are amazing...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks heelstone - awesome website and some very interesting videos...I'm surprised that these even went public - it seems NASA would have better control...anyone know how these got out of the gov'ts hands?? Would they have let them go on purpose??

John Lear says there appears to be possible "star wars weaponse interacting"...I have no clue what this means, although I know there is info on it here at ATS...but is he talking about the flashes? I thought those were explained to be heavy storms - that's what I thought when I saw them...

Also - Another thing I caught on the radio this morning was this guy talking about a siting in Mexico where about 1500 people witnessed a UFO "participating" in holiday celebrations...of course their gov't had no reason to deny it...any thoughts on this or possible footage?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Right off the top of my head, I don't know of any good save to disk videos, but you can see the most important bits of the STS-80 footage at the link below using realplayer.

www.unknowncountry.com...

The bit with the thing shooting out from Sao Paolo is absolutely amazing video. One of, if not the best. I'd say the stuff regarding the anomaly over Greifswald Germany and the recent Mexico UFO video are some of the best as well.

Clip one is good.

NASA Mission STS 80 One | Two | Three
These clips are from the legendary NASA Mission STS 80 video taken from the shuttle on December 6, 1996, one day after the mission was officially scheduled to end. The mission was delayed in orbit due to bad weather on the ground, and was at the time the longest shuttle mission ever flown. It went into orbit on November 19, 1996. The astronauts aboard were Kenneth Cockrell, Kent Rominger, Tamara Jernigan, Thomas Jones and Story Musgrave. None of them have commented on the video. When NASA was asked to comment on it for the NBC special Confirmation that aired in February of 1999, they did not do so, except to say that nothing in it appeared to be a UFO. They offered no explanation for the objects observed.
This video represents the most extensive sequence of unknown objects ever filmed by a professional crew, and in a normal society would be sufficient evidence to spark an extensive scientific investigation of the unexplained phenomena observed. That there has been no such effort speaks volumes about how much must be known about this material behind the scenes.

Clip One
In the first clip, the strange material on the ground is actually Sao Paolo, Brazil. This odd appearance is caused by the effect of the city 's bright lights on the very wide open lens aperture of the camera, which is attempting to record in deep darkness. It is not visible in this short clip, but the unknown operator of the camera spends some time positioning the instrument before the object comes out of the city. Obviously, the object was expected to appear by whoever was ordering the camera movements. What the object is remains unknown. It was huge and moving very fast and appears to be surrounded by some sort of field. This is all that can be said about it.

Clip Two
The mission then proceeds over the Brazilian rain forest, which is covered by an extensive area of thunderstorms. In the next clip, an object is seen drifting above the storms and acquiring a plasma of some sort around it. The object is above the atmosphere, and probably at least fifty miles above the storms. Other objects appear to emerge from the storm clouds, while yet more dart back and forth, some appearing like meteors, but not in ballistic trajectories.

Clip Three
The final clip shows an object moving slowly along with lights pulsating on both sides. It is easy to see that this is no rotating ice particle. The object is not moving in an orbital path, which means that it is under control. What it is remains unknown.

NASA's own mission log makes no mention of the unusual video.

The other two, not so much in my mind.

But on clip one, NASA needs a better answer than "space debris" as it obviously came from Earth, or at least from inside our atmosphere up.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hello.

I have a lot of this footage, bearing in mind there are 100's of hours.

I also have footage from other missions which is very interesting. Some from inside the Shuttle with something flying around inside - heard of the 4th Phen?

Anyway - if you are in the UK and want to have a look then please get in touch.

Newone

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
To present all sides here, I have a few interesting quotes from a website I found that I'd like to share and perhaps receive input from...

When sunrise occurs (due to the Orbiter's motion along its
orbit), even though the Orbiter is now bathed in sunlight, the
camera is still trained on the dark side of Earth. But now the
floating particles which routinely accompany every shuttle
flight (often ice particles, sometimes junk from the payload
bay, pieces of insulation blankets, a dozen or more distinctly
different sources) can become visible in the sunlight, sometimes
even moving into sunlight from the umbra of the Orbiter (and
thus "appearing suddenly").

Strangely enough...I'm flipping through the channels last night and I caught the tale end of UFO files on the History channel - low and behold they're showing footage from sts-80 - the scenes with the hundreds of "floaters" zooming around and their rebutal to the claim that they were UFOs was precisely the same as what I've quoted above.

There's nothing else to it, as far as I can tell. Everyone in
the control center knows about this visual phenomenon, everyone
has seen it numerous times, and they laugh at notions these are
anomalous, while they grimace at yet more silly stories by
people who don't seem to understand much (or do seem to
misunderstand a lot) about "ordinary" space flight.

So I guess this brings me back to my question - "Why would they release this?" Is it b/c this never happened and it really is debris...is it a false negative? What's left to conjecture after the footage and official stance except the conjecture itself?
A very confusing phenomenon that may never truly have an answer...

Here's a link to the source from which I quoted - the debunker provides an interesting read but it's stated with far too much certainty and lacks any skepticism that would give this idea true solidarity...funny how you must often convey uncertainty in order to instill a belief...
www.virtuallystrange.net...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
There is more than just STS-80, STS-75, STS-48, and STS-37 regarding NASA video anomalies. If you want another resource for reports of them online with pictures, check out the below link.

yorkshireufoinfo.homestead.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It wasn't that NASA "released" this. The shuttle missions used to be broadcast real time to satellite viewers. The footage was taken from that... Soon after, NASA stopped the live transmissions.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'd agree with Enron's first thought ... that the STS-80 clips are of heavy storms and the objects are most likely to be terestrial inanimates thrown out of the atmosphere by the storms.

But the STS-37 clip still amazes me.

I'd be interested in the extended clips newone, if you want to u2u me and discuss a transfer?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Is this the same thing that some man recorded everyday from the live sattellite feeds hundreds of hours worth?

You can buy the whole lot on DVD somewhere.

Its really interesting also the other best video proof is the recent one from mexico which has still gone totally unexplained.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Are all these clips 100% authentic?

If they are then there is no way this is "space debris" omg this is just silly!

If that is space debris i will eat my own waste!

Sorry to be so foul, but that sphere that moves left/right and stops is no space debris i would ever think of space debris as.

Amazing footage, amazing post, this can add to my list of definate proof of intelligent life other than ourselves, we could be unintelligent to these other living creatures.

One day it will all make sense, very soon i hope!

Edit sick word!

[edit on 21-9-2004 by markjaxson]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It wasn't that NASA "released" this. The shuttle missions used to be broadcast real time to satellite viewers. The footage was taken from that... Soon after, NASA stopped the live transmissions.

That's an interesting bit of information I was previously unaware of...were the public and UFO skeptics primarily held responsible for the discontinuation of live feed? I guess there's always going to be the official answer and then the suspected answer to that question though...

Originally posted by markjaxson

If that is space debris i will eat my own sh1t!

- No need for that! Silly fetishes that spawn mass hysteria and personal illness are not required to prove points
j/k

I know what you mean, but like I said at the beginning - I'd like to consider all angles of this topic - any and all footage - b/c chances are that 90% of what's out there has a logical alternative explination - I'm not saying that the previous information I posted was the certifiable truth, but a believable conclusion that can be applied to a large portion of what is seen in that video...so using this logic therefore enables you the desire to analyze a bit more carefully...

But just as you mentioned, there are those segments which make you question this theory - add to this NASA's silence and the plethora of other videos, along with the now-exitinct level of access we once had to material like this that has been taken away presumambly by public speculation, and an interesting spin on things reveals itself...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah i apologise for my use of discusting language i have just reread my post and it was abit uncalled for.
Although i started laughing myself.

Anyway, if we are going to disuss this from both sides then it would be nice if NASA could explain to us what exactly is space debris, to my knowledge i thought it was just parts of space missions ships that have fallen off and with my little knowledge of gravity and the likes these space debris should be revolving around the earth just like the moon and sattellite does as there are certain forces that makes this possible.

Now lets think about what NASA explains it as, space debris, if this is some space debris how is it moving and stopping all of a sudden, this means that there has to be other unknown forces to make this happen which im not aware of? Is anyone else aware of these forces that causes space debris to move then suddenly stop?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
NASA stated national security concerns as the reasons for the discontinued feeds, if I recall correctly. One could surmise that the locations of spy satellites may be revealed, but the official reason was simply national security, the end....no further detail.

I remember as I had a friend of the time, a fellow geek with geek parents, who had the channel on ALL the frickin' time when a shuttle was up. Nice big screen though, back in the day of the projection tvs, hehe...so it was pretty neat to see... Man were they ticked when that stopped! They even wrote their congressmen a letter about it....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I didn't see nothing obvious as an evidence, did you? The quality is really poor, it could really be anything ..

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
NASA stated national security concerns as the reasons for the discontinued feeds, if I recall correctly. One could surmise that the locations of spy satellites may be revealed, but the official reason was simply national security, the end....no further detail.

I remember as I had a friend of the time, a fellow geek with geek parents, who had the channel on ALL the frickin' time when a shuttle was up. Nice big screen though, back in the day of the projection tvs, hehe...so it was pretty neat to see... Man were they ticked when that stopped! They even wrote their congressmen a letter about it....

Haha that is hillarious!

Reminds me of some old friends i had aswell, actually if you think about it if NASA was to send live feeds back to earth for any missions currently wouldnt you be watching it all the time?
Even better what about the Mars rovers?

I think i would have it on all the time(maybe), actually i would have to turn it off when the g/f wants to watch her soaps.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beer
I didn't see nothing obvious as an evidence, did you? The quality is really poor, it could really be anything ..

You had too much beer beer?j/k
Have you seen the clips we are talking about? Its the first one you should be able to see a sphere like object moving and then stopping.
Actually we could do with some better quality footage than the RealMedia although i dont mind as im on 56k so its perfect for me!

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson

Concerning sts-37, I don't see the excitement.
This looks to me like a water droplet on the lens or space debris.

Remember the space shuttle does pollute space to some degree.

Check out how 2 crap in space where it says, "Waste water is vented to space".

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I just came across a paragraph in Phil Plait's bad astronomy site discussing this, and we are in agreement.

Under the section "Good:", check out the 3rd paragraph

"I know this sounds nitpicky of me, but there are UFO people who claim that there are UFOs seen in Shuttle footage. What they are actually seeing is ice and debris near the orbiter,..."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join