It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security fears? Chicago G8 Summit canceled, relocated to Camp David

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Security fears? Chicago G8 Summit canceled, relocated to Camp David

rt.com

Amid concerns over thousands of protestors descending on Chicago, Illinois for the G-8 Summit this spring, the event have been moved to the presidential compound at Camp David, Maryland, around an hour outside of Washington.

Leaders from the United States, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and European Union were expected to arrive in Chicago this May for the annual meeting of the world’s largest economies. Protesters also had plans for the Windy City, however, and demonstration groups including Occupy Wall Street offshoots had begun orchestrating events
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What kind of security threats are they worried about I wonder. Maybe just facing the thousands of angry citizens is to much for them. Basically moving the summit to a place were nobody can protest seems like their really getting scared, maybe this will paint a picture for anybody who thinks the worlds economy is doing well.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Interesting development. However, they are still holding the NATO summit in Chicago until further notice.

The security threats were very high. The main threat probably arose out of the call by the occupy movement to descend in mass into Chicago. Probably not threatened by the direct movement of the occupiers and more by the infiltrators and agitators that were certainly planning to join in.

This is good for Chicago. Good luck to the protestors and an attempt to get close to Camp David. This is what Camp David should be used for anyway. The bill for security operations in Chicago would certainly be in the millions and the cleanup after a large scale riot would break the bank for sure.

Officially the WH says its not about threats... or security ... Obama wants a more informal setting for the meeting.

The Group of Eight meeting will be moved to Camp David, according to the White House, but the gathering of NATO allies and the International Security Assistance Force will go on in Chicago as planned in mid-May.

Camp David will more closely approximate the remote settings in which the G8 leaders prefer to gather. Summits in large cities typically see clamorous protests, while those in the countryside are calmer and more sedate.

"It's not about Chicago being able to handle logistics, as evidenced by the fact that the NATO and ISAF meetings will be held there, which are far larger than the G8 meeting," said Caitlin Hayden, a spokeswoman for Obama's National Security Council. "There are a lot of political, economic and security issues that come together at the G8."

"This was really about the president looking for a more informal setting with these close partners," she said

www.chicagotribune.com...

Sorry Occupiers...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry? Why? We're ecstatic. who's streets? OUR STREETS

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

I think this is the single most pathetic thing Obama has done to date.

Don't want people protesting your corrupt ways? Hide the infamous meeting on a private reserve where trespassers can be shot on sight.

What a jackass..

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It's all in the timing! This bill H.R.347 was passed in a 388-3 vote.... in a hurry!

Surprise!

Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011

Authorizing potential jail time if convicted of 'trespassing' anywhere our government folks or "other protected persons" are.....

...`other person protected by the Secret Service' means any person whom the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect under section 3056 of this title or by Presidential memorandum...

I imagine that's people like... the President of the World Bank, the Directors of the WTO, and such ministers more sinister than any we know!
edit on 5-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

United States, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and European Union were the world’s largest economies.

Top world economies which are also going broke.

As to the OP, why ever doesn't Obama call in his home boy goon squad, after all are they not the populist to which he promised Hope and Change to?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
WHEN IS THE MEETING!!!!! There could be another reason to move it. FALSE FLAG.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have a feeling they never intended the G8 to be held in Chicago. Last year, the police couldn't even handle mobs at the beach. No way could the have handled the G8 and NATO.

It was probably just an added layer of security to make people think it was going to be in Chicago.

It wouldn't shock me to learn NATO gets moved too.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Man shades of the Chicago seven haunt the feds to this day......whats the matter boys askeered of a little plastic toy gun?
Chicago is a tough town to hang onto.....i can understand the move, i am thinking that hes gonna spring the Iran thing on them though, and wants to keep them isolated from the press etc....
I think they may do something about Syria unilateraly too.....ie without UN aproval....
What signifigance do you suppose the whole mid east thing will have on the Nato confab?
Think anyones gonna walk?ie Turkey maybe?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I Just heard on the news (RT) that Putin is pulling out of the G8 meeting. I wonder what thats all about. Putin said it was due to the work load he was under. So he is sending Medvedev in his place.
Heres a link to read about it.
www.ft.com...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Brandon88

I think this is the single most pathetic thing Obama has done to date.

Don't want people protesting your corrupt ways? Hide the infamous meeting on a private reserve where trespassers can be shot on sight.

What a jackass..

Paranoia is the theme among our world leaders today.....especially here in the U.S. Paranoia = FEAR. Their fear is legitimate....and they have no one to blame but themselves. A transparent government does not operate under fear. A corrupt government is paranoid about public backlash and does things like monitor it's population through cell phones, plants missile launchers on top of buildings, and has meetings away from public access.

The more extreme they become with their security measures and monitoring activities, the more we have them by the balls. Cowards........

It amazes me how the greedy, corrupt types fail to learn from history. Every time such leaders have risen, they have ultimately self-destructed. Call it karma or whatever you want. You cannot escape the laws of the universe. You reap what you sow.

They know the world is waking up and it's just about time for them to pay the piper.

new topics

top topics

join