It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is finite or infinite ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Even great scientific still debate about this question,
So according to you, the universe is :

[Edited on 18-4-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 03:55 AM
link   
time is a man made thing.

the universe is ever expanding.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   
As was mentioned, "time" is really a construct of man, as a measurement (and relies on there being witness to such movement), so it can easily be argued as infinite
Likewise, technically, the Universe is finite, at least so far as it has currently expanded, at least to current thinking.

Myself, I believe that the Universe, like all things in it, goes through cycles of birth, growth, death, rebirth... You have a Big Bang, expansion, then collapse in upon itself to that infinitismal point, the another Big Bang, expansion, etc. For all we know, we could be in the one-billionth cycle of this...
Likewise, there probably wasn't an actual "starting" cycle, it just simply "is"... Its these "cycles" that I think are infinite, so in essence, if using time as a measurement...then time would be infinite as well (in so far as our discussion here). However, the universe is only as large as it's edge of expansion, whereupon, as in any other spherical construct in the universe, you don't go off an edge, but just continue moving along the outside edge of it...

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 07:11 AM
link   

top topics

join