It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypocrisy, actually, darkness of soul, the left is silent about Bill Maher's language

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by PotKettle

I was addressing this comment specifically:

Democrats appeal to the least educated and myopic elements of our population, especially minorities. Unless of course you consider our inner cities to be the mecca of innovation and intellect, I wouldn't be so quick to disparage Republicans if I were you.

If you cannot see how that applies to my response then I don't know what to say.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

That was a reply to another comment as the "I wouldn't be so quick to disparage Republicans if I were you" and the original quoted text would probably indicate. Read that original comment before weighing in next time and save the lectures on how people's opinions are spoon fed to them. Maybe you will get a serious response next time.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Clearly, Bill gets off on debasing women. He has a long history of degrading Palin and insulting all women in the process. Last year NOW busted his chops and yet he proceeded on with his insulting rhetoric.

Fast forward to 2012, he's still at it and he is now a proud mega donor to the Obama campaign. Yet, Obama piles on Rush while ignoring Mahers well documented list of insulting words and ever creative descriptions of the female anatomy. All directed towards women!!! Sometimes on stage as Bill the comedian and others as Bill the political pundit. Same filthy !@#$% mouth. Ooops! Would Maher talk that way in front of his mother or grandmother?

Come on Obama... this issue won't go away. You've made sure that you are right in the middle of it.

Bill you're 50 something and never been married. Wonder why? Does Bill hate powerful White Women?
edit on 6-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Satire is inherently different than political commentary.

Satirists are practically immune to libel law because it's understood that they are not to be taken entirely seriously. And viewers should know this. He's making jokes.

Rush and other political commentators have a higher responsibility, and they must rise to this challenge. He is, in essence, a pseudo-journalist. And this is much different than being a comedian.

Also, as others have already pointed out, Palin is a public figure, which automatically trumps most accusations of libel or slander.

This is just basic civics.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

So are you saying that the quote that I listed was taken out of context in regards to a previous discussion? Kinda hard to read into a comment like that, no I think you meant exactly what you said and I responded. No misunderstanding there.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Bill Maher is a comedian...? Really... Huh, learn something new everyday. I ask because I've yet to hear him say anything even remotely funny...

His vile attacks on Sarah Palin were such that had I been nearby, I'd probably have punched him. He's a vile little person. He's one of the reasons that I don't subscribe to HBO... So not going to help pay for his little diatribes posing as "comedy".

Rush Limbaugh is no better.

As to his representing the Republican party? No. He's conservative...more's the pity, since I'm of a conservative bent in most of my politics... The thought that he claims to be my voice is a thought worthy of vomiting.

Neither are worth the time and effort, such as it was, to type this on my keyboard.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePaisan

Satirists are practically immune to libel law because it's understood that they are not to be taken entirely seriously. And viewers should know this. He's making jokes.

Rush and other political commentators have a higher responsibility, and they must rise to this challenge. He is, in essence, a pseudo-journalist. And this is much different than being a comedian.

Also, as others have already pointed out, Palin is a public figure, which automatically trumps most accusations of libel or slander.

Political commentary most likely pays the majority of Mahers bills. I propose that Maher should keep two hats on his desk at all times while on the air. Hat one is labeled "Rank Comedian" Hat two is labeled "Uninformed Political Pundit". I strongly suggest that he change hats throughout his show according to his commentary. Just so I know when Bill the Comedian is "just making a funny"

If he wants to stay in the Political theater, and we know he does because he can't act, he should be held to the same standard that the left chooses to hold the conservatives in question. Better yet, both sides should hold them all to the same standards and perhaps these guys (maher and rush et.al.) will come across as actually being smarter than wise ass 8th grader on the playground.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

So are you saying that the quote that I listed was taken out of context in regards to a previous discussion? Kinda hard to read into a comment like that, no I think you meant exactly what you said and I responded. No misunderstanding there.

No, I am not saying that. I am saying my quote was a response to another quote. Go read the original quote. And yes I meant it when I said your original reply consisted of nothing more than straw man arguments and some non sequiturs at the end. I'm not so sure you should be worrying about other people succumbing to propaganda.
edit on 6-3-2012 by PotKettle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Bill you're 50 something and never been married. Wonder why? Does Bill hate powerful White Women?

Maybe he would rather stay single than marry and divorce several times. I wonder who has done that?

-rrr

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by PotKettle
Democrats appeal to the least educated and myopic elements of our population, especially minorities.

How does that account for the slew of candidates that the GOP is fielding, all of which seem to want to appeal to all of the baser notions of the human psyche?

Fact is, those who self identify as "Right" think differently than those who don't. It's hard-wired and provable. Just don't equate it with intelligence...not with Palin and Santorum and Perry and...yes Rush...in your stable of high-thinkers.

I'm not sure what the point of your first sentence was. Also would you care to show some evidence to support this fact? And why are you bringing up Palin? Is it still 2008? Oh the left needs to find someone they feel superior too. Some sort of self affirmation I suppose.
edit on 6-3-2012 by PotKettle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by ThePaisan

Political commentary most likely pays the majority of Mahers bills. I propose that Maher should keep two hats on his desk at all times while on the air. Hat one is labeled "Rank Comedian" Hat two is labeled "Uninformed Political Pundit". I strongly suggest that he change hats throughout his show according to his commentary. Just so I know when Bill the Comedian is "just making a funny"

If he wants to stay in the Political theater, and we know he does because he can't act, he should be held to the same standard that the left chooses to hold the conservatives in question. Better yet, both sides should hold them all to the same standards and perhaps these guys (maher and rush et.al.) will come across as actually being smarter than wise ass 8th grader on the playground.

The standards "from the left" you are talking about are common sense standards from any person with common sense. Otherwise it would imply that the right lacks those standards.

I believe the right *purports* to have standards of decency and political correctness that exceed those of the left. I mean, for pete's sake, we have Stephen Colbert!

So it is highly inconsistent for a voice of the conservative side to use such rhetoric, this should be easy to see by anybody from any side.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

You obviously don't understand at all what the issue is with Rush.

He didn't call her a naughty name, he labelled her, inaccurately, as a slut, because he disagreed with her using birth control.

Calling everyone on birth control a slut is a lot different than one person calling another person a bitch or a #.

And when you bring "god" into it, it shows just how clueless you are.

You think your god is cool with judging millions of women as sluts, as part of a political attack? Cause if he is, he's a jerk.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Bills a comedian though... If his comedy were fluffy and light nobody would watch him. It's his job to stir controversy.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What I think is hilarious about all this is who you people are paying attention to when it comes to political, moral, and ethical matters. Rush is an obese, prescription drug addicted, dishonest, impotent bigot who makes money from verbally assaulting others on the radio, that does not allow for counter arguments, making him a coward as well. Bill Maher is an alcoholic, womanizing, former coke-head half-ass non-funny comedian who makes money by offending people.

Why the hell would you give two s**ts about what either of these fools has to say?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its very simple. There is a dial on the TV and the radio, if something offends you, change the channel. I don't like Rush, I think he is a vile POS, but my solution is not to listen to him.He doesn't get a ratings boost or my attention in the process. Its a very dangerous thing when we start to boycott freedom of speech. Bill Maher has some edgy commentary against republicans but he is no leftist. And to be sure, Bill Maher doesn't in the least represent the left to the degree that Rush represents the right wing. If you don't like him, do what I do to Rush, change the channel.
edit on 6-3-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil

Originally posted by Oldnslo

I do not "subscribe" to HBO due to the fact money I would pay to watch movies would be used to cover Maher's HBO salary. Some may feel this is a "PC" issue, but to me he's just another foul mouth individual dressed as a comedian. Calling a woman a c*** on a nationally syndicated program ain't got nothing to do with comedy!!!

What networks besides HBO does Real Time air on?

That's right - none.

It's NOT nationally syndicated.

As i've said in my prior post - think of HBO as a private club, and the radio as a public park.

You're not all for regulating and telling a private club what it can and cannot do now, are you?

I love how you guys keep trotting this out when we have examples of "journalists" in the media calling Republican women "sluts" and actually being defended by the media for saying it. The hypocricy and delusion runs DEEP in you people.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Bill Maher really has nothing to do with this.

Anyone who's ever listened to Limbaugh knows he's been saying crap like this (and worse) for years without repercussions.

What's happened here is that for some idiotic reason the Republicans have been fanning the flames of this contraception issue for many weeks now and Limbaugh foolishly stepped in it.

I'm not talking about freedom of religion and the Catholics which is a legitimate issue. However, the Republicans for whatever reason didn't contain the conversation to that and have drifted into condemning contraception itself and women who use it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Here you have a left wing "journalist" calling a Republican woman a "slut" and the mass media comes to his defense claiming, "there are different interpretation of the word "slut".

Attempting to offer a defense of Ed Schultz, CNN's Randi Kaye told guest Howard Kurtz Thursday that "there are mixed interpretations" of the term "slut," which Schultz called conservative talk show host Laura Ingraham Thursday. Kaye also referred to Laura Ingraham's response to Schultz as "biting," proving that she possibly was harder on Ingraham than on tyrant Sadaam Hussein back in 2006.

Now you guys can go back to ignoring this and latching on to your delusional belief that when you guy's call women sluts and whores its completely different.

Originally posted by DelMarvel
Anyone who's ever listened to Limbaugh knows he's been saying crap like this (and worse) for years without repercussions.

You mean except for being attacked and demonized on a regular basis by the establishment media? Do you think there should be "repercussions" when people say things you dont agree with?
edit on 6-3-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I thought it was funny.
Also, I think its funny, that you claim to be religious, then call the POTUS evil? I mean, taken in a religous context, first off, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FORGIVE PEOPLE THEIR SINS, right?

I mean WWJD, would he call someone an idiot, or evil?

I think you should go say 50 hail mary's and think of YOUR soul

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
There is a big difference between the two. Maher voiced his opinion on someone based on that persons real and unexaggerated political and social stances. He is entitled to do that, he has no sponsors to answer to just HBO and his viewership. If he says something so terrible and nasty he loses viewers HBO will drop him. Fortunately for him Sarah Palin unabashedly gives him enough material that he does not have to make things up to attack her with she is just naturally inept.

Rush voiced his opinion on someone based on the current Conservative viewpoint. Unlike Maher Rush took a story and topic he did not research at all and turned it into some half-backed fantasy. Then took it upon himself to insult the woman testifying before Congress based entirely on his own lies. He not only insulted and attacked her, he made up a story so that he could do so. So while the left may or may not be Godless according to you based on what Bill Maher said. What Rush did makes the right the followers of Satan himself. Because not only did he lie, he did so with the sole purpose of misleading his audience and to profit off the ensuing controversy.

You have got a good point here, but you are missing the real crux:
Limbaugh called Fluke a slut for:
Not wanting to get pregnant.
A wish very widely spread in women of the 15 to 55 age bracket, and often too among the men who sleep with them.

Let's ignore that he doesn't know how the pill works, and that it's usually used in monogamous relationships, since it doesn't protect from STDs.

Let's ignore that Fluke didn't say a single word on the pills use as contraception.

This is what separates Limbaughs comments from Bill Maher calling Palin names: Limbaughs argument boils donw to "good girls don't want to have sex, they want to have babies. If you want to have sex, yet not have a baby, you are a slut."
It's not the word, it's the context in which it was used.
It actually would have been better if he had called her a cun!. Or an idiot. Or crazy, stupid, vile etc... every other name he could have called her lacks the connotation.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
# bill mahar he's a Zionist tool scumbag Israeli supporter. He'd be better off dead imo

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join