It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypocrisy, actually, darkness of soul, the left is silent about Bill Maher's language

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo

I do not "subscribe" to HBO due to the fact money I would pay to watch movies would be used to cover Maher's HBO salary. Some may feel this is a "PC" issue, but to me he's just another foul mouth individual dressed as a comedian. Calling a woman a c*** on a nationally syndicated program ain't got nothing to do with comedy!!!

What networks besides HBO does Real Time air on?

That's right - none.

It's NOT nationally syndicated.

As i've said in my prior post - think of HBO as a private club, and the radio as a public park.

You're not all for regulating and telling a private club what it can and cannot do now, are you?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I just heard on Laura Ingram, Bush Senior, Mr. NWO is endorsing Romney.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Maher, who is very effective in his rhetoric, is nonetheless at the periphery of the political debate. Limbaugh, on the other hand, is at the core of the Republican strategy. Republicans get elected by appealing to the least educated and informed whites, and that is precisely what Rush is so talented at doing. That is why the GOP candidates refuse to condemn him, because they know he is the key to their victories. Maher, on the other hand, appeals to the most informed, educated whites with his wicked, clever sense of humor. But he is not critical to Democrats' victories, because these voters are capable of making their own informed decisions.

So, bottom line, Maher is just not that important. Rush is, so everything he says will always be major news.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
its hypocritical ... but heres the thing

It would take about 20 bill mahers to = 1 Rush in audience!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
its hypocritical ... but heres the thing
It would take about 20 bill mahers to = 1 Rush in audience!

That implies a number of things which I won't go into. Suffice to say, if there was no knucklehead Right, Bill would have to rely on his stand-up. He's quite clear about one thing...as a comedian/pundit, he is imploring the Right to go with the wacko candidate. Personally, I agree. The fun never ends.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe
The Godless left, they are the walking dead. Take a moment and say a prayer for their conversion.

Stopped giving a rats ass about what you have to say after that little gem.

Anyway, who really gives a damn about either of these guys. I know who they are and what they stand for, thats about it. Crap is crap. Doesn't matter what side of the aisle it comes from, because it will still smell the same.
edit on 6-3-2012 by DarthOej because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Maher, who is very effective in his rhetoric, is nonetheless at the periphery of the political debate. Limbaugh, on the other hand, is at the core of the Republican strategy. Republicans get elected by appealing to the least educated and informed whites, and that is precisely what Rush is so talented at doing. That is why the GOP candidates refuse to condemn him, because they know he is the key to their victories. Maher, on the other hand, appeals to the most informed, educated whites with his wicked, clever sense of humor. But he is not critical to Democrats' victories, because these voters are capable of making their own informed decisions.

So, bottom line, Maher is just not that important. Rush is, so everything he says will always be major news.

Democrats appeal to the least educated and myopic elements of our population, especially minorities. Unless of course you consider our inner cities to be the mecca of innovation and intellect, I wouldn't be so quick to disparage Republicans if I were you. Your infatuation with Maher is adorable and sweet in an awww shucks kind of way, but I certainly would not attribute your Maher reverence to any sort of higher intellect that you think you may have over the typical Rush listener. One could question the intellect of someone who attributes absolute significance to a relative quality, ie effective rhetoric or wicked sense of humor, if they really wanted to.

I realize that those on the left commonly rely on this appeal to authority fallacy in their arguments almost as much as they rely on the race card but it really gets tiring where someone of average intellect feels the need to bring up his/her supposed educational superiority whenever it is obvious that their argument has no merit. Here, you use the straw man argument that Rush is important to Republicans to justify your belief that the left is not being hypocritical with regards to their Fluke outrage. Rush, like Bill, is an entertainer and as such is as important to Republicans as Bill is to Democrats. I also like how you infer that Republicans are not able to make informed decisions. Sadly, this unfounded pseudo-intellectual air of superiority is typical to those on the left.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Bill Maher tends to say it how it is and doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, nor does he have to. A nice perk of being on cable TV.

While I don't watch him very often, I do love how blunt he is with religion and religious people, it's quite entertaining.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthOej

The Godless left, they are the walking dead. Take a moment and say a prayer for their conversion.

Stopped giving a rats ass about what you have to say after that little gem.

Anyway, who really gives a damn about either of these guys. I know who they are and what they stand for, thats about it. Crap is crap. Doesn't matter what side of the aisle it comes from, because it will still smell the same.
edit on 6-3-2012 by DarthOej because: typo

Absolutely!

I don't always agree with Maher but I find his point of view funny at times. His rant at Sarah Palin was a comment at a person of public office/service and he has the benefit of no language filters...being in public office always has a chance of negative press and editorials. Limbaugh was attacking a common citizen who was asked to testify on a matter of women's health. There is a distinct difference.

Oh and BTW...Limbaugh IS the poster boy of extreme right wing conservatism...as it has been said...the Republican candidates and office holders are terrified of him...the would go to war before rebutting him on anything....and that is a sad thing for them.

Limbaugh and his sexist "feminazi" comments are going to cost the GOP this coming election...."Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned" ...they should have known better...all of them.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PotKettle

And the rednecks that have historically voted Republican are Mensa types? He's some home work for you: Find out the number of poor whites in the heartland that vote Republican. When you are done, take the number of minorities in urban cities that vote democrat. Compare both numbers and find out which one is greater. Then compare SAT scores (or any other academic measure like a HS diploma) and compare the differences (or similarities) between the two.

Shocking isn't it? Chances are if you are poor (no matter what color) you will be less educated than people that are well off, or better off. Demos grab the minority poor and Repubs grab the rural poor (prominently white), nothing shocking there. Let's not talk about the dumb minorities electing BO, unless you want to talk about the dumb rednecks electing Bush.

That being said, it is wrong to assume that if you are poor then that means you are dumb. In all honesty I don;t think having intelligence is as important as being semi immune to propaganda. You can have an IQ of 170 but if you never said "Wait a minute something isn't right here..." then it wouldn't matter. In reality, elections are one big PR stunt paid for by big bucks and chances are that if you get you news from MSM, your opinion really isn't yours to begin with anyway.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
First of all, Maher's "Politically Incorrect" show on network TV lost sponsors and was canceled because of comments he made about 911 so it's not like he's immune to this sort of thing. He no doubt has a much smaller audience now.

Second, Maher is not the self declared "titular head" of the Democratic party and Democratic candidates don't wait in line to kiss his feet the way the Republicans do with Limbaugh. The only Republican presidential candidate with the guts to stand up to Rush on this was Ron Paul.
edit on 6-3-2012 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PotKettle
Democrats appeal to the least educated and myopic elements of our population, especially minorities.

How does that account for the slew of candidates that the GOP is fielding, all of which seem to want to appeal to all of the baser notions of the human psyche?

Fact is, those who self identify as "Right" think differently than those who don't. It's hard-wired and provable. Just don't equate it with intelligence...not with Palin and Santorum and Perry and...yes Rush...in your stable of high-thinkers.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

And the rednecks that have historically voted Republican are Mensa types? He's some home work for you: Find out the number of poor whites in the heartland that vote Republican. When you are done, take the number of minorities in urban cities that vote democrat. Compare both numbers and find out which one is greater. Then compare SAT scores (or any other academic measure like a HS diploma) and compare the differences (or similarities) between the two.

Shocking isn't it? Chances are if you are poor (no matter what color) you will be less educated than people that are well off, or better off. Demos grab the minority poor and Repubs grab the rural poor (prominently white), nothing shocking there. Let's not talk about the dumb minorities electing BO, unless you want to talk about the dumb rednecks electing Bush.

That being said, it is wrong to assume that if you are poor then that means you are dumb. In all honesty I don;t think having intelligence is as important as being semi immune to propaganda. You can have an IQ of 170 but if you never said "Wait a minute something isn't right here..." then it wouldn't matter. In reality, elections are one big PR stunt paid for by big bucks and chances are that if you get you news from MSM, your opinion really isn't yours to begin with anyway.

Thank you for another example of a straw man argument. Any other revelations that you care to share with us? Good to see that you are more intelligent that the 170 IQ person who supposedly can't see when "The Man" is feeding him propaganda. On second thought you are right. We need brilliant people like you running this country.
edit on 6-3-2012 by PotKettle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Thank you for another example of a straw man argument. Any other revelations that you care to share with us? Good to see that you are more intelligent that the 170 IQ person who supposedly can't see when "The Man" is feeding him propaganda. On second thought you are right. We need brilliant people like you running this country.

Nice, address nothing but attack me instead and put words in my mouth too, bravo. Throw in a bit of sarcasim and this whole reply is gold. The irony of you complaining about straw man arguments makes me chuckle.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The uproar over Rush using the term "slut" and "prostitute."

Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin the vilest of words on his national T.V. program. I won't say it, you can look it up.

Share other examples, I heard on tape today, two of them. The Godless left, they are the walking dead. Take a moment and say a prayer for their conversion.

It is funny how the right was *also* silent about it until it became a convenient diversion for what happened with Rush Limbaugh.

I don't think that the disrespect of one justifies the other. Neither of them elevates the quality of discourse. But if you think that this is about "evening the score" because the left also has disrespectful spokespeople, you are missing the point.

I personally don't think Rush Limbaugh's predicament says anything about the right. It really reflects poorly on *HIM* specifically.

Even the right is denouncing what he did. You could too, instead of resorting to this tactics of counter accusation.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Nice, address nothing but attack me instead and put words in my mouth too, bravo. Throw in a bit of sarcasim and this whole reply is gold. The irony of you complaining about straw man arguments makes me chuckle.

What was there to address? Your whole reply was centered on something that I never asserted. And then you prattled on about how someone with a 170 IQ wasn't intelligent enough to figure out when they were being exposed to propaganda but you implied that somehow you were. What did you want me to say?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr

Even the right is denouncing what he did.

I'm curious who you're talking about. George Will? Certainly none of the three top Republican candidates "denounced" Rush.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I was addressing this comment specifically:

Democrats appeal to the least educated and myopic elements of our population, especially minorities. Unless of course you consider our inner cities to be the mecca of innovation and intellect, I wouldn't be so quick to disparage Republicans if I were you.

If you cannot see how that applies to my response then I don't know what to say.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Bill Maher insulted an individual.

Rush Limbaugh insulted an entire gender.

Yes...there is a bit of a difference.
Was going to say the same thing myself. Also, Bill actually gives examples of why she's an idiot, whereas Rush made an assumption that Fluke wanted to be paid for having sex because she wanted contraception to be covered under her insurance.

There's really no double standard here, execpt to the right-wing fundamentalists who prefer the toting party line over facts. Atleast they're in the minority though (A very ignorant minority, but still a minority nonetheless), based on the number of flags and stars this thread got.
edit on 6-3-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMarvel

Originally posted by rickyrrr

Even the right is denouncing what he did.

I'm curious who you're talking about. George Will? Certainly none of the three top Republican candidates "denounced" Rush.

Oh man... really? I hope that at least none of them defend him.

Did any of them defend him? I sure hope not. Otherwise there is no hope.

I was speaking in general terms. I have seen many right wing people online come out and denounce him, but maybe I am too optimistic.

Seriously, the guy is indefensible. And although I am left wing, I think Bill M is not funny. I do think John Stewart is hilarious though!

See, sarcasm only works by drawing upon the knowledge of an educated audience. Although emotionally speaking, apathy is not a very powerful emotion in terms of mobilizing political action. WE the left can be biased towards apathy, cause we know how #ed we are, and how even our representatives are bought and paid for.

In the opposite case fear works better and more attention grabbing. And then the result is mobilized political action that can be directed in any arbitrary direction. Not much better really.

I think that pretty much sums up the vocal minorities of both sides.

-rrr

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join