It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypocrisy, actually, darkness of soul, the left is silent about Bill Maher's language

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Rush Limbaugh insulted an entire gender.

Can you fill me in on what Rush said that insulted the entire female gender? I am only aware of him insulting one particular person named Sandra Fluke who had testified in a unofficial congressional hearing that she was having a lot of sex in college and couldn't afford contraception so was worried about becoming pregnant.

That doesn't seem like a insult to an entire gender to me? Was there more comments I missed? I haven't been able to find the transcript only second hand articles. I mean, every girl I know calls women that have a lot of sex sluts too. I'm not defending Rush here I just don't see how he insulted an entire gender. I mean its a word other women throw around like candy.

I am all for women sleeping with whoever they want as much as they want, equal rights for all individuals is fine with me. People can do whatever they want. I am just saying it is a word that women use an awful lot to describe each other so I don't see how it could possibly be an insult to all women.

"Slut" is a very common insult that is thrown around to individuals quite a bunch. Right or wrong it is still just an insult to one person, right? What am I missing? There are a lot of women who would probably agree with Rush about his sentiments on Sandra Fluke.
edit on 5-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

so....i guess it would be ok for rush to call your daughter or wife a prostitute and slut (if she had said she had slept with men in college), on an AM radio station reaching 20 million listeners.
edit on 5-3-2012 by jimmyx because: syntax

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

Sandra Fluke was testifying on behalf of women who use contraception about the costs of contraception.

Rush called her a slut and a prostitute.

A slut for using contraception.

A prostitute for wanting contraception to be covered by insurance.

So...if you use contraception...Rush thinks you are a slut. If your insurance covers your contraception...then you are a prostitute.

Never did Sandra Fluke say anything about her own sexual activities that would warrant Rush calling her either name.

Now when Maher calls Palin whatever name he is calling her that night...he gives examples of things she has personally said or done in her life. Yes, it is still an insult and an ugly insult...but it is directed to an individual and can not be extapolated out to any larger group.

Rush's comments to Fluke can easily be extrapolated out to an entire group.

The court of public opinion has already decided...what Rush did was wrong...what Maher did was not.

Deal with it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

so....i guess it would be ok for rush to call your daughter or wife a prostitute and slut (if she had said she had slept with men in college), on an AM radio station reaching 20 million listeners.

If their daughter or wife has ever used contraception...Rush has already called them a slut. If that contraception was covered by their insurance...he has also called them a prostitute.

But still...some will defend him because their ideology runs deeper then their love for their own family.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChewingonmushroomsBill may or may not be one also, but he is hardly a radical,

Hardly a radical?

That's almost as rich as Outkast Searcher's reply.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Definitely a double standard because Mahr can hide by his thin comedian veil. Call Sarah Palin a C!@t! and get away with it. Call a professional hack a slut and a prostitute and Rush is somehow violating some FCC decency rules?? Really?

I don't think so. Far worse been said and depicted on nightly TV programming.

Did Rush go to far, I think so but that's his opinion and what he gets paid to do. Just like Dip !@#$ Mahr who runs behind his comedy deflector whenever he needs it most. Nowadays, comedy is only a side job for Mahr to give himself a safety net.
edit on 5-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Bill Mahr Beats Women!! and punches like a girl

How is the word "slut" an insult? Sex before marriage with multiple partners is approved by the libs, the reason they take contraception. Their hypocritical protest. She may not take money for the physical act but she is prostituting -selling- her soul in God's eyes. Sandra Fluke has the record of a femi-nazi, supporting the gravest sin, abortion.

Hypocrites and far worse, there is a list, could fill a book for
every time Maher has defamed Christ! What is he thinking? His
bitterness, who knows? Prayer is the only thing for his hardened heart.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Why don't you grow up and stop generalizing entire groups of people based on their political leanings?

And please spare us the "Save their souls" bull#. If anything, people should be praying for YOU, not the other way around.

Bill Maher does not represent me.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Of course I wouldn't like that and how you got to that opinion from what I said is beyond me. What I was asking was if Rush called my daughter a slut or a prostitute how that is an insult to every female in existence and not just an insult to my daughter?

Maybe you missed it. I said I didn't agree with what Rush said and I wasn't defending his remarks. I was only wondering how one would think that those remarks are an insult to all women rather than just an insult to the one person he called names.

It just seems like sensationalism. If I call you a name am I insulting you or everybody who posts on the internet? Obviously I would just be insulting you.

edit on 5-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by colbe

Why don't you grow up and stop generalizing entire groups of people based on their political leanings?

And please spare us the "Save their souls" bull#. If anything, people should be praying for YOU, not the other way around.

Bill Maher does not represent me.

Too bad, I will not hear of Christ, I will not hear of Christ...so sad.

Please, dispense with the poddy mouth, how mature.

The "C" word is not a "generalization" and excuse me, I don't see Bill Maher giving a million dollars to Santorum.

The ridiculous protest of the left.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbe
Do you thinkof your soul?

Apparently you're doing it for me.
Kinda ironic seeing as Bill is an avowed atheist.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

A slut for using contraception.

from what I read, he was calling her a slut because she said she has a lot of sex. If he is calling all women who use contraception sluts then I would have to agree with you. I haven't found that though, I'll keep looking unless you can provide to a link where he said such.

The court of public opinion has already decided...what Rush did was wrong...what Maher did was not. Deal with it.

What do I have to deal with specifically? I don't care about what either of them do and I have called Palin much worse names than Maher ever has. The "court of public opinion" is a pretty corrupt and uninformed court. Don't really care about public opinion, I look for truth and facts.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

You're on a site with adults.

Get used to it.

And if Christ were real? He wouldn't want you following him around.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
This is comparing apples to oranges. Sarah Palin was/is a public figure. The lady that Rush was referring to is a private citizen, big difference. Rush is an idiot.

What difference does it make whether someone is a public or private figure, if the comment is made in public it is a public slur and on a woman. The Left is skewering Rush but Maher got a pass. It's typical. I personally think Maher is clueless about anything important.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

from what I read, he was calling her a slut because she said she has a lot of sex. If he is calling all women who use contraception sluts then I would have to agree with you. I haven't found that though, I'll keep looking unless you can provide to a link where he said such.

She never said a thing about having any amount of sex.

She was testifying about the cost of contraception without insurance. She estimated it at around $3000, for birth control pills and the doctors visits and tests required to get a perscription. While I think her estimate is a little high...I don't think it is that far off.

Rush and other Conservatives took that figure of $3000, divided it by the cost of a CONDOM and divided that by the number of days in the year...and said that she must have sex 3 times a day...and called her a slut.

She wasn't talking about condoms though...and they all know that...she was talking about the cost of birth control pills. They aren't something you can take on an as needed basis...it is a daily pill whether you are currently having sex or not.

So yes..when Rush called her a slut...he insulted her and any women that is taking birth control pills or any women who has or may in the future take birth control pills. In Rush's eyes...if you are on birth control...you are a slut.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

As has been said Bill Maher is a comedian, not only that but he's a comedian whose audience wants him to push the envelope and say what's on his mind.

Rush isn't a comedian, though he does push the envelope as far as stupidity is concerned.

What I'm concerned about is the idea that the word prostitute is an insult, why are we so ready to throw the oldest profession in the world around as a derogatory term?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the explanation. I can't find the transcript of what she said or what he said, only second hand sources in articles discussing it. I will take your word on it for now but you might hear back from me when I find the transcripts.

Yea, in that context I could see how you can take it as an insult to all women, but still it would only be an insult to women who take birth control though. Not the whole gender. That doesn't mean I agree with rush.

I hope you realize I am not defending Rush, I am only looking for what actually occurred without the spin everyone likes to throw on top of everything. Honestly I have never listened to the guy. Could care less what any political talking head has to say. Both the left and the right love to change facts to suit their agendas.

It should be easier to find actual facts of what occurred.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by colbe

Bill Maher is on HBO and can say whatever he wants.

Rush has a syndicated news radio program, therefore must subcribe the regulations of broadcasting etc..

It's a PC issue.

Nothing to do with the left or right.

~Tenth

While the tit-for-tat issue is quite ridiculous -- for it is all politics and anyone saying otherwise is either ignorant or lying -- this here what you said is an extreme cop out and excuse; not an explanation.

Regardless of the medium in which the language is expressed, especially since today -- areas that were once prohibited to a small number of subscribers (say, HBO) is no longer true today. Even if the number of subscribers is still low, the proliferation of data via the Internet makes it moot.

That being said, what Bill Maher stated in reference to Sarah Palin became just as public as anything Rush Limbaugh uttered over the airwaves.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by colbe

As has been said Bill Maher is a comedian, not only that but he's a comedian whose audience wants him to push the envelope and say what's on his mind.

Rush isn't a comedian, though he does push the envelope as far as stupidity is concerned.

What I'm concerned about is the idea that the word prostitute is an insult, why are we so ready to throw the oldest profession in the world around as a derogatory term?

Speech, in terms of the First Amendment, know no bounds of employment. A comedian knows no more liberty in their speech than say you or I. In my opinion they are both idiots and both serve as entertainers towards their respective companies. Good for them on finding a niche, but it matters not if one is a comedian and the other a talk-shot host. Now if you want to discuss their influence, then I can see why Mr. Limbaugh is suffering for what he said -- though I find it funny the president felt he needed to get involved.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by colbe

Bill Maher is on HBO and can say whatever he wants.

Rush has a syndicated news radio program, therefore must subcribe the regulations of broadcasting etc..

It's a PC issue.

Nothing to do with the left or right.

~Tenth

It has plenty to do with right and left. Not in regards to the speakers, but to their listeners and followers. Bill's words are attractive to the left, Limbaugh's to the right. And both sides are silent on their hero's spewing of filth.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Here is the transcript Sandra Fluke's Congressional Testimony:
abcnews.go.com...

Here is Rush Limbaugh:

edit on 5-3-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
This is comparing apples to oranges. Sarah Palin was/is a public figure. The lady that Rush was referring to is a private citizen, big difference. Rush is an idiot.

What difference does it make whether someone is a public or private figure, if the comment is made in public it is a public slur and on a woman. The Left is skewering Rush but Maher got a pass. It's typical. I personally think Maher is clueless about anything important.

Exactly. The manner of where the person is makes no difference. Hence why it is all politics. The left jumped on the issue and pushed it hard....why did the President of the United States become involved? Politics. Plain and simple. It pushed the public opinion in a manner in which it wanted to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join