It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypocrisy, actually, darkness of soul, the left is silent about Bill Maher's language

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The uproar over Rush using the term "slut" and "prostitute."

Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin the vilest of words on his national T.V. program. I won't say it, you can look it up.

Share other examples, I heard on tape today, two of them. The Godless left, they are the walking dead. Take a moment and say a prayer for their conversion.

+32 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Bill Maher is on HBO and can say whatever he wants.

Rush has a syndicated news radio program, therefore must subcribe the regulations of broadcasting etc..

It's a PC issue.

Nothing to do with the left or right.

~Tenth

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Bill is a comedian, he always says things that are not PC, hence the name of his show. Rush supposedly represents the Republican party and has to be careful what he says, or he loses ad revenue like he has already. Bill does not have to worry about sponsers anymore, since going to HBO.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by colbe

Bill Maher is on HBO and can say whatever he wants.

Rush has a syndicated news radio program, therefore must subcribe the regulations of broadcasting etc..

It's a PC issue.

Nothing to do with the left or right.

~Tenth

The language might be more expected on HBO and HBO can clearly say any words they want being on cable but Rush saying "slut" or "prostitute" is hardly against any regulations that I know of. His advertisers probably didn't like it though and some stations that syndicate him might not be to happy either.

It is a double standard in as much as one person can say it and nobody cares where another says it and apologies are demanded. Not sure if it is a left and right thing but it is worth discussing.

Personally I don't care for Rush but I think the OP makes a good point. I think Bill Maher gets away with it because he is a comic and his brand is political humor whereas rush is supposed to be a bit more serious.

Personally, I don't think Bill or Rush are doing anything wrong. If people don't like it they don't have to listen.

edit on 5-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

I don't think they are doing anything wrong either. Rush is a conservative right wing guy, his base is VERY pro PC. He put his foot in his mouth and his own fans, advertisers and sponsors turned on him, not the left.

He has himself to blame for saying something he probably should not have, considering his position/audience.

It's expected of Bill Maher to be crass, joke around and call people names, he's a comedian, not a political commentator or pundit. Although I suppose you could brand him that way.

~Tenth

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is comparing apples to oranges. Sarah Palin was/is a public figure. The lady that Rush was referring to is a private citizen, big difference. Rush is an idiot.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

Rush supposedly represents the Republican party...

I wouldn't say that. I think that is going a bit too far. I think to some people on the left, he may represent the Republican party but I think to people on the right he is just a man with an opinion who happens to be a republican. I know many republicans that do listen to Rush and think he is more than a bit extreme with many of his positions. Sort of like for every 10 things he says they like 5 of them.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
This is comparing apples to oranges. Sarah Palin was/is a public figure. The lady that Rush was referring to is a private citizen, big difference. Rush is an idiot.

Yes, there's a "big difference"....

Your "dark" excuse, the word Bill Maher used for Sarah Palin on national
T.V. is sickening, so much worse than "slut" or "prostitute" and you're fine with it.

It's not in God's eyes, you're an 'idiot' defending Maher. Do you think
of your soul?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I don't think they are doing anything wrong either. Rush is a conservative right wing guy, his base is VERY pro PC. He put his foot in his mouth and his own fans, advertisers and sponsors turned on him, not the left.

He has himself to blame for saying something he probably should not have, considering his position/audience.

It's expected of Bill Maher to be crass, joke around and call people names, he's a comedian, not a political commentator or pundit. Although I suppose you could brand him that way.

~Tenth

Mocking Palin, calling Sarah Palin a filthy word is not comic.

You make the point of the thread. The vile left can say anything. Maher
speaks of politics all the time on his show. He just put up a million dollars
to support evil BHO.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

~Tenth

Yea, that's basically what I said to you, additionally, I just was pointing out that Rush wasn't breaking any regulations of broadcasting as you said but rather was upsetting his sponsors. It looks like you agree with that but just didn't write it originally.

Regardless of all of the valid reasons one person can get away with it and another person can't it is still a double standard no? I agree, it makes sense that Bill can get away with it while Rush can't and this is not necessarily because one is on the left and one is on the right.

Double Standard just means that there is a different set of principles for similar situations. There could be many valid reasons why the set of principles is different but that doesn't really matter in this context. I just think the topic is worth examining and didn't think it should be dismissed so easily.

Although I suppose you could brand him that way.

Do you mean to say "I suppose one could brand him that way"? Cause I just said he was a comedian specializing in political humor.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yep compare a public figure to an ordinary citizen, totally the same! Bill M makes me laugh but he is without a doubt a massive prick. The whole Rush fiasco is just straight dumb but what do you expect, he's a paid shrill. Bill may or may not be one also, but he is hardly a radical, more like a well off democrat that thinks he's better than you (elitist) than a leftist.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There is a big difference between the two. Maher voiced his opinion on someone based on that persons real and unexaggerated political and social stances. He is entitled to do that, he has no sponsors to answer to just HBO and his viewership. If he says something so terrible and nasty he loses viewers HBO will drop him. Fortunately for him Sarah Palin unabashedly gives him enough material that he does not have to make things up to attack her with she is just naturally inept.

Rush voiced his opinion on someone based on the current Conservative viewpoint. Unlike Maher Rush took a story and topic he did not research at all and turned it into some half-backed fantasy. Then took it upon himself to insult the woman testifying before Congress based entirely on his own lies. He not only insulted and attacked her, he made up a story so that he could do so. So while the left may or may not be Godless according to you based on what Bill Maher said. What Rush did makes the right the followers of Satan himself. Because not only did he lie, he did so with the sole purpose of misleading his audience and to profit off the ensuing controversy.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I'm not a liberal, I'm a conservative and as a conservative I respect everybody's freedom of speech and their right to say whatever they want.

You should do the same.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yup that's exactly what I meant

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The simple fact is just this.

Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh are each private citizens who have a public outlet to express their opinions.

Anybody who isn't offended about what Bill Maher says about people derogatorily should not be offended by anything that Rush Limbaugh says about anybody derogatorily. These people are not paid to talk facts and be a news outlet, they are paid for their opinions.

Anybody that looks at either of these people as a news outlet is a bit off their rocker if you ask me.

The problem Rush has run into, IMO is that his viewers are more than likely much more easily offended by derogatory language. Rush is a better known and more controversial person so it makes better news.

It is a double standard though, as a double standard is the application of different sets of principles for similar situations. Their situations are similar and a different set of principles have been applied. Right or wrong, valid reasons or not, that is simply a fact.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

good to hear. I was starting to wonder if you hit the wrong reply button and it was meant for someone else

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Bill Maher insulted an individual.

Rush Limbaugh insulted an entire gender.

Yes...there is a bit of a difference.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Definitely a double standard because Mahr can hide by his thin comedian veil. Call Sarah Palin a C!@t! and get away with it. Call a professional hack a slut and a prostitute and Rush is somehow violating some FCC decency rules?? Really?

I don't think so. Far worse been said and depicted on nightly TV programming.

Did Rush go to far, I think so but that's his opinion and what he gets paid to do. Just like Dip !@#$ Mahr who runs behind his comedy deflector whenever he needs it most. Nowadays, comedy is only a side job for Mahr to give himself a safety net.
edit on 5-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Bill Mahr Beats Women!! and punches like a girl

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Rush Limbaugh insulted an entire gender.

Can you fill me in on what Rush said that insulted the entire female gender? I am only aware of him insulting one particular person named Sandra Fluke who had testified in a unofficial congressional hearing that she was having a lot of sex in college and couldn't afford contraception so was worried about becoming pregnant.

That doesn't seem like a insult to an entire gender to me? Was there more comments I missed? I haven't been able to find the transcript only second hand articles. I mean, every girl I know calls women that have a lot of sex sluts too. I'm not defending Rush here I just don't see how he insulted an entire gender. I mean its a word other women throw around like candy.

I am all for women sleeping with whoever they want as much as they want, equal rights for all individuals is fine with me. People can do whatever they want. I am just saying it is a word that women use an awful lot to describe each other so I don't see how it could possibly be an insult to all women.

"Slut" is a very common insult that is thrown around to individuals quite a bunch. Right or wrong it is still just an insult to one person, right? What am I missing? There are a lot of women who would probably agree with Rush about his sentiments on Sandra Fluke.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
the differences:

1...hbo, a pay for play channel, already with vulgar language...am radio, free to any adult or kid with a radio.
2...college-enrolled girl called into congress to testify about using birth control....prostitutes are paid for sex.
3...rush...one who is unable to control his weight, a 3-timed married, prescription-pill drug-addict, representing only conservative republicans for their american values. mahar...none of those.
4...rush...will not debate a democrat on his show, mahar...actively books republicans to come and debate on his show.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join