It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the eight-hour sleep

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

I find that sleeping 3 to 4 hours at a time works for me. The problem, as you noted, comes in when people are forced to work 8 or more hours a day, which is also unnatural, particularly if those hours are late night/early morning. Worse yet are those jobs that run rotating shifts which significantly interfere with the body's natural rhythms and cause physical and emotional complications.
edit on 5-3-2012 by N3k9Ni because: typo

I work the 3 shifts in weekly rotation and don't have many problems with it. Actually, I declined a dayjob promotion a few years back, just to keep my shifts. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The trick is to copy your routine (waking up - breakfast - going to work - going home - do stuff there.) and paste it onto your shift. Now if you have a family to run, you might have a problem. They remain static where you need to revolve.

Trying to remain a daycreature with rotating work hours will cause troubles. That's when the unhealthyl part kicks in. The shifts itself are not.

I can't stand the overcrowded kindergarten-shift with those whining daycreatures for more than a week. They are the cause of the physical and emotional complications. The other two shifts are pure heaven.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
I usually sleep 6 hours, sometimes 5 and feel completely fine for 18 hours.

Actually when I was in high school there was a study that stated 6 hours could possibly be better for the body rather than 8 hours.

My 5-6 hours is plentiful.

I usually sleep about 9.5 hours, sometimes 11-13 and then will feel wide awake and fine for the entire day into the night.

I found that 8 hours just isn't enough for me. I can make it through the day on 8, but getting 8 consistently just makes me more and more groggy until friday where it just feels as if I haven't slept at all overnight.

For example I had about 7.5 hours from thursday to friday, woke up at 9am. By 3pm I was just falling asleep all over myself.

I actually did a self-study one time when I was free from disturbances from anyone for a 2 week period.
Basically the rule was go to bed when tired, wake up when I wake up. No alarms. No regard for what time of day it was.

The results were pretty interesting.

I'd find myself staying up about 18-20 hours on average then sleeping for about 10. Effectively putting me on a 30~ hour a day schedule. I have to say though that it was awesome. I was never tired. Except I would be waking up at odd hours of the day/night.

Say go to bed at midnight..
12AM->10AM then stay up for 20 hours .. go to bed
6AM->4PM.. stay up to 12
12PM->10PM... yeah it got weird after the 3rd day. Some days i'd be going to bed at 8pm other days waking up around 9pm heh.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LOLZebra

That's what happens to me when I'm on vacation. Don't you just love it?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Great thread. I've been thinking about sleep a lot lately. I LOVE to sleep, and as I get older I'm feeling that I can sleep at any time anywhere. Though I am waking up a lot lately and reading for an hour or two in the middle of the night before dropping off again. Maybe you're right and the 8 hours is a myth?

What I wonder about mostly though is WHY do we need sleep. Everything that's alive (as far as I know) needs sleep. Even trees and plants like a sleep, don't they? Is it something to do with the universe, the solar system, outer space, or is it an innerspace thing? It has to be a clock of some sort but I'm buggered if I can work it out. Why do we sleep?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I thought this was natural and thats why I do it. others complain they are tired no wonder. lol

Well its 4.03am Partner in bed I'm up still.

wish I had that pill that was on American Dad, Have the night time to yourself and have have a day life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join